1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Amazon Prime]The Lord of the Rings - Series

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by daywalker02, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Episode 7 seemed to tone down the action and go back to story-building again and tug at heartstrings.

I guess they’re going to reveal everything in the final episode.

We kind of knew that was the creation of Mordor in the previous episode, but do we have Sauron yet?
    That whole Meteor Man storyline is still weird, and those people following him are kind of creepy with the way they unloaded on the Harfoots and keep stalking him.

The scene with the Dwarves and the leaf falling into the mithril mine and being incinerated by the fire-breathing balrog was wild. I thought a tree was going to sprout or something, but it was foreboding … the dwarves are going to get too greedy and dig too deep. ;)

Lots of character shifts/evolution in this episode, too. Like Theo stepping up, Elendil breaking down at the end, Miriel going blind, etc.

Can’t wait for the season finale.

Amiga, Invisible Fan and Yung-T like this.
  2. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

S7: As far as the story, this was the best episode. Lots of drama...but it was all pertinent to progressing the storylines. Still not sure who Eminem is. Burning the Harbbits stuff was pretty crude. Just so many moving pieces at this point. Not sure what the big reveal will be next week (if any).

lol at the Fellowship Of The Stranger.

edit: Really like the Elrond/Durin dynamics. I think something big will come from that.

#302 boomboom, Oct 7, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm guessing the pale sisters are likely guardians or cult to train the stranger in Orderly ways. Seems to be a hierarchy among mages set in LoTR that isnt set right now, so that would provide a backstory. The burning was more like flicking an ant away than melting each one with a magnifying glass

I like the queen getting (temp?) blinded after her crazy father told her going would be met with darkness

Hope the elf/dwarf bromance doesn't end up in bretrayal. But Durin wasn't known for having a happy ending

boomboom likes this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I was reading where the Eminems following Meteor Man are listed in the credits as The Dweller,” “The Ascetic,” and “The Nomad," and they're non-canonical. They supposedly come from the eastern part of Middle Earth (Rhun). Some are saying they're somehow allied with Sauron. I have no clue. For all I know they could be the MCU invading MIddle Earth. I better have some answers by the next episode. I can't be waiting until next season for this mess to resolve.

Invisible Fan and boomboom like this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

saw last episode last night and thought it was good. As a Tolkein nerd though still bothered by some of the changes from the canon. Not sure who the mystery women are looking for the stranger and can’t recall who they might be in Tolkien’s writings.

Noted that Galadriel said her husband Celeborn was killed by Sauron but that doesn’t happen in the writings and in the LOTR movies he’s still alive and dies at the battle of Helms Deep.

As far as who the stranger is still guessing though given how he record the trees I’m still wondering if he could be Radagast the Brown. He plays a very small role in LOTR bit Jackson greatly expanded his role in the Hobbit. He’s supposed to have nature powers.

According to the writings Sauron should be around as Anotar the Lord of Gifts. He’s described as looking sort of like an Elf but very beautiful. It’s possible the leaders of the three mystery women could be Anotar.

Yung-T likes this.
  6. Salvy

Salvy Member

7. Invisible Fan

I hope it's not radagast. He might be a legit wizard, but he's a joke and a side note in those books. Radagast is pretty much the Aquaman of Wizards.

Saruman: I can go toe to toe with Sauron. I'm the best hope for the side of good and the most proud warrior.
    Gandalf: Not as powerful as Saruman, but beloved and respected by many. Owner of an elven ring.
    Radagast: I can Tweet, and I have 1000 active bird followers. Trouble is a comin! Do sumthin Maori!

IBTL likes this.
  8. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

I don't think Celeborn is dead (it was Haldir who died at Helms Deep, Celeborn wasn't there). If I remember correctly, Galadriel just said 'he was gone'. Not sure what the series would gain by killing him off - he's in the LOTR and eventually leaves Middle Earth with the rest of the Elves, but not Galadriel.

I have no idea who the Stranger is. A Wizard is the safe bet, even though it messes with Tolkien's timeline (not that it matters that much right now). The three mystery women could be the lost Blue Wizards that were thought to have been turned by Sauron? Maybe the Stranger is Sauron? Would be interesting to have him helped by Halflings, and then completely forget about them for thousands of years, only to be taken down by one. I think with so much invested in the character, it has to be someone from the Tolkien world. Tom Bombadil? Beorn?

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We finally caught up this weekend and we're really enjoying the show. Question for those of you who have seen it:

How did Waldreg get Sauron's sword? I thought Arondir hid it. When Theo gives the "sword" to Adar, it's just an axe wrapped in fabric. When did Adar get the sword and give it to Waldreg for the "job" he had for him?

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You missed the intent there. When Adar fled with the fabric wrapped item, he was tricking them to chase him. He had given Waldren the real sword to go activate the device. Arondir and Galadriel held the fabric wrapped item for hours (maybe a whole day?) without every opening it.

Yung-T and mtbrays like this.
  11. justtxyank

This isn't a spoiler but, Galadriel did say in the last episode that her husband was killed in the war against the orcs along with her brother.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  12. justtxyank

This isn't a spoiler but, Galadriel did say in the last episode that her husband was killed in the war against the orcs along with her brother.

13. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Theo gave Adar the real hilt. Adar unraveled it in the house. When the Numenors arrive, Adar asks Waldreg to do him a solid to show his allegiance to Sauron. That's when the swap happens off camera. After Galadriel and Halbrand capture Adar, they never bothered to verify the hilt. Arondir gives it back to Theo and when Theo opens it, that's when we learn it was swapped.

Yung-T and mtbrays like this.
  14. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Did she say he was killed specifically? I thought it was more ambiguous, being that he is in LOTR. I thought it was more he went off to war and I never saw him again. My guess is he is still alive and that will be an upcoming plot point.

boomboom likes this.
  15. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

It almost felt like she was a stalker and made him up as her husband in her mind. At least that's the way it sounded in the episode.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Must be first husband then. They're not successful enough to start messing with the books.

17. justtxyank

Just rewatched it and she is asked if you ever lost anyone "to them." She names her brother and her husband. She doesn't say "My husband is dead."

On the amazon page there is a "general trivia" about LOTR that says :

rocketsjudoka, Yung-T and Deckard like this.
  18. justtxyank

She named Celeborn. But the Amazon trivia says his fate is unknown.

19. justtxyank

it’s weird writing that she’s been on this vengeance quest over her brother and doesn’t mention her husband at all for 8 episodes. Surprise! I had a husband killed too but he was a loser.

20. Invisible Fan

Pretty vague...how are they going to fit that with the trophy husband in the movies?

Galadriel was not impressed, so he went out to buy a pack of smokes?