1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's be honest, Davis Mills is GUTTER TRASH

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by my time to shine, Sep 19, 2022.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Agreed 1000%

But you know Cal happened smh and after this year Cal can go to Nick and say ok you where right you have it your way now

J.R. likes this.
  2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Facts. Minus DW4 that’s terrifying list. Yikes

JamesC, J.R. and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. a time to chill

Lovie Smith should be Caserio's last hire. McCown would've been a joke hire, even though the Texans were seriously considering him. I think Easterby had something to do with getting this piece published in the Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/3612253/2022/09/22/nfl-josh-mccown-coach/

Hiring someone as Head Coach of an NFL team without any prior coaching experience is dumb and an insult to all coaches in the league with aspirations of one day becoming a head coach; especially when you have to hire other more qualified coaches to train him on the job. Lovie Smith was going to do that with McCown until Caserio had to pivot to make him the coach after the Flores lawsuit.

4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I would agree with you but Lovie wasn’t Nicks hire so he should get one more hire.

A case could be made that Culley wasn’t even his hire.

5. a time to chill

Nah, he doesn't get a pass on Lovie. He's the GM. The accountability for a failed coaching hire falls on him. If Lovie goes, Caserio needs to go too.

But the way the Texans operate, I wouldn't be surprised if they retained him. Caserio, in my opinion, is not a good GM.

6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Not if the owner said I want to hire this guy.

In Caserio we trust

7. a time to chill

LOL, I can't imagine Cal McNair demanding that Caserio or Easterby hire someone. He seems like a gullible fool easily persuaded one way or the other.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Wr probably won’t take a meeting unless they come with a McD 10 pcs chicken nuggets

a time to chill likes this.
  9. raining threes

These weren't Caserio hires.

10. raining threes

Had a selfish POS who also was a sexual predator to boot.

11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

It's funny, the way you laid this out it made me think how F-upped our society/system is. Not a dig on you, because I too believe experience in similar jobs is important to being successful. However, ironically we'll hire someone to be the President/Commander-in-Chief without any real leadership or real-world experience, but dammit when it comes to football coaches... Not intended to turn this political, purely an observation that leaves me flummoxed. Another whiskey bartender, I'm drinking to our shitty team and adding the world to that list.

12. Damion Laverne

Mills = unclutch

raining threes and Fulgore like this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

People form opinions about people they do not know at all based on their public speaking abilities and it's weird.

The McNair family has been in love with Lovie Smith for a decade+ at this point. Lovie Smith was on board to be on staff last year before Culley was even hired.

You guys so overrate the influence of Pastor Jack vs what Cal decides on his own.

Cal:
    - Pursued Easterby personally
    - Pursued Caserio for years before hiring him
    - Has had a relationship with Lovie Smith for a long time. The franchise wanted to hire him years ago.

Cal is not some buffoon being steered by Jack Easterby's mustache twirling schemes.

15. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I’m sure there extremely proud of there son.

He’s come along way over the past 7-8 years Going from 5 star recruit committing to Alabama. Starter for Alabama then benched for Tua. To Heisman trophy candidate at Oklahoma.

Then nobody thought he was a QB in the draft but him. Through the should switch to RB. Philly takes a flyer on him and let’s him play QB and the rest is history.

raining threes likes this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

This kind of stinks of too much nepotism to me. Working with too many friends and family isnt necessarily a good thing. Cal McNair being painted as a buffoon goes beyond his speaking ability, but more focused on what has happened to this team under his watch and how he turned his Dads playoff team into a laughing stock by being hands off to the point where he hired terrible managers in a results driven profession (honestly the Bill OBrien tyrant authority is his most egregious mistake, but such a big one that it destroyed this team). He's just lucky to be a billionaire's son and doesnt strike me as a guy who is more committed to winning a championship for this team, its fans and the city over just being "good guys" that are happy to work with each other and keep raking in the money from fans.

Easterbys antics speak for themselves and there is enough printed and online to research to form a sound opinion on why he was such a problem before and why now he's being relegated to what he should have originally been doing and keeping him away from football operations.

charlieaustin likes this.
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Eagles got so ridiculed for that pick especially with Wentz still their starter. Well as it turns out, that was the beginning of the decline for Wentz and the Eagles trade him. Great job by their GM. By the way, they have the Saints first rounder this year too

18. justtxyank

Cal may be an idiot at running a team, I'm not disputing that, I'm simply disputing the idea that he's being manipulated by Rasputin and that all of these hires have been Pastor Jack.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Well, Cal and his wife simply LOVE Paster Jack. Don't forget that it was Easterby who convinced Cal to disregard the search committee recommendation for GM and flush $600K down the drain which yielded us Caserio (he of the "Patriots' way). He may not be all that visible anymore but I don't doubt for one minute that Easterby doesn't have a direct line to Cal and the Mrs.. How else do you explain the events of the past two years? After all, last time I checked he's still the Executive VP of Football Operations. All I'm saying is to not put too much faith in this organization because the one lesson I carry from all those years following the Oilers is that a football operation's chances of success are slim to none when you have such inept ownership and disfunction at the top. In fact, I can't recall any NFL team that was able to overcome this and win a championship.

charlieaustin likes this.
  20. justtxyank

The search committee being flushed because of Jack is a rumor. What is confirmed, including out of Cal's own mouth, is that the Texans have made MULTIPLE attempts to hire Caserio that pre-date Jack being part of this organization.

raining threes likes this.