1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Amazon Prime]The Lord of the Rings - Series

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by daywalker02, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think they deliberately made the show to stretch an entire season for the final payoff.

You can start now for if you like fantasy, but the pacing is slow. There are good moments, so maybe people's greater expectations on here have a negative bias.

I'd prob wait after 2 seasons, but there will likely be a big event near the end of season 1. That's usually how typical shows designed for streaming and "full engagement" (binge 10 hrs for a 3-4 hr plot) works.

clos4life and boomboom like this.
  2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

M
    i would rather read the book haha

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I will watch almost any fantasy show tbh. I enjoy wheel of time but I had lower expectations for it.

I am highly critical of this show, but I still enjoy it and am watching it.

I think people who are dismissive of criticisms with "don't watch it" or "have a problem with race" and other stuff are being dicks. It reminds me of when some hot girl does something stupid on twitter and all these guys rush to defend her from criticism. She's not going to sleep with you.

This show has problems. If you are a Tolkien book reader, then like most fantasy shows that are adapted from books, your enjoyment level will depend on how much you can separate yourself from the book.

I am not a Tolkien nerd personally. The departures from the books are not annoying to me during the show.

My only advice against starting it would be that it's not a show where each episode contains a lot of important movement in the story. If that pacing will bother you then wait and just binge it.

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been enjoying the show so far. I'm not a huge Tolkien fan so the changes the showrunners have made don't even register for me. I'm just enjoying what they put up there. My biggest complaint so far is the actress they have playing Galadriel. I feel like that was a miss on casting's part because she hasn't been great. Some of her expressions are just weird and just doesn't have the gravitas I would have expected from that character. Her fight with the sailors in the market square was fun to watch, however. Much better than the troll fight when they introduced her. That felt weird.

Oh, and I love the Harfoots and Nori in particular. They are freaking adorable.

DaDakota likes this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Holy hell, episode 6 picks up the pace. It’s like a one hour battle with brief timeouts. Also may want to crank up the subwoofer. And holy crap, that ending.

The humans beating the orcs multiple times and saved just in the nick of time by the Numenoreans was kind of corny. No way that should’ve happened. Lol.
    Damn you, Waldreg!
    Every time I see Adar, I think of Data/Lore.
    That ending… Mount Doom? Mordor?

6. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

The humans beating the orcs multiple times and saved just in the nick of time by the Numenoreans was kind of corny. No way that should’ve happened. Lol. - Yeah, I got a bit confused with the timeline. At one point the Numenoreans said they were 2 days out. The next night they're at the village?

That ending… Mount Doom? Mordor? - Yep. The ending was amazing.

I'm also guessing that Halbrand becomes the Witch King.

Still not sure who Sauron is/if he's been revealed yet.

Best of the season.

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Awesome, awesome episode.

8. dmoneybangbang

Glad y'all spoilered the latest episode.... haven't caught up to it yet,

I am enjoying the series so far.... Many of the characters seem very wooden, but the world building has been getting better and better.

boomboom likes this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The timeline didn't really mess me up too much. I missed them saying the 2 days part, but if true, they left Numenor in daylight of day 1. Then at night the orcs stormed the tower. Then day came again and we see the villagers in their little village with the "fort" preparing for the next battle. Then night again when the orcs attacked there again. So it seemed like roughly 2 days. I just thought it was corny the Numenoreans arrived just as they were about to lop Bronwyn's head off. lol.

By the way, the orc march on the tower and village with the "Nampat" battlecry was so bad-ass. Then that ending was like holy crap. Thank you for surround sound and subwoofers, audio gods.

Agreed. Not even close. Can't wait for the final episode. I think there's only 2 left for the season, right? Can't remember.

Again, if you folks have subwoofers, this is the episode to crank that bad boy up. lol

#269 Dr of Dunk, Sep 30, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  10. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I thought the guy that looks like Loki was Sauron.

I did like the WTF ending for E6. There still continues to be a lot of cheese character behavior and dialog. I guess they have to string out the series with something. Still a fun show.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I had given up on him being Sauron in the last episode when he seemed pissed when Waldreg thought he was Sauron and said he would do whatever for him.

Then in this episode Adar said he killed Sauron and got tired of giving up his men for Sauron's purposes/experiments or whatever, but I'm still feeling something weird about that whole storyline. I just looked and verified there are 8 episodes in Season 1. I'm guessing the big reveal will be in the final episode? Also still left is finding out who Meteor Man is. Maybe that'll be what the next episode is about - well, about his journey with the Harfoots, anyway. And then the final episode may tie all this in together? I'm hoping it's a 2 hour episode or something. There are going to be some people pissed out there if they don't reveal Meteor Man and Sauron by the end of the first season. lol

boomboom likes this.
  12. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Any chance that Meteor Man could be Sauron?

And knowing that Isildur "kills" Sauron, I'm curious how that path is going to play out moving forward.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I want it to be Gandalf, but from the banter on the Internet I've been reading, it would put him in MIddle Earth long before he's supposed to be there according Tolkien's writings. He was around, but not around there at that point, apparently. Of course, the writers could be taking liberties with the Second Age since, well, they can and kind of have to due to the lack of writing.

Another theory is that this is another Maiar (beings like Gandalf), but not Gandalf.

The last theory I read about was this is Sauron. I'm going to be pissed if it is. lol.

Yung-T, Invisible Fan and boomboom like this.
  14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

this show is getting good. Very enjoyable.

we can’t be 100% sure that the timelines are all the same at the moment can we? Per your timeline comment.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

No, because the writers can take liberties with that, I think, since much of what we’re seeing was never explicitly written by Tolkien. The timeline is already kind of jacked up to fit all the happenings into the series and the lifetime of humans since the dwarves can live for hundreds of years and elves basically live forever unless they’re killed.

It’s interesting they’d keep two huge mysteries going into the final episodes of the season which has me waiting to see if one of them is resolved in the next episode or both are somehow resolved in the final one. That last episode better be a doozy.

boomboom likes this.
  16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

In the last minute of the season finale so that people have a huge cliffhanger and wait one year for season 2. :confused:

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

so i was watching ep6 of dragon house and was psyched for the dopeness to happen. but it never came. turns out it was from this lotr thread. fuuuuuu

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If you haven't watched GoT, now would be better to spend time on it

Jontro likes this.
  19. Beezy

Beezy Member

That was a dope episode. They could've used that for a season finale, but I'm glad they didn't.

#279 Beezy, Oct 1, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    Yung-T likes this.
  20. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I'm a little shocked at how hard this show goes at that violence actually. Anyone else a little surprised at the slow stabbing of villagers in that one scene? LOTR had violence, but a lot is on fast cut shots or the camera literally cuts away from the actual stab.

Just sort of shocked me when they slowly ran those villagers through.

Almost GOT-like.