1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Top Pick or Play-in Tourney?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Dec 4, 2021.

?

Which would make you happier to see happen at the end of the season?

1. Rockets get a top 5 pick in the draft

2. Rockets make the play-in tourney

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean those teams were injured but at the same time you don't "luck" into a 46 win season. You have to be in position with the right amount of wins to take advantage of other teams having disappointing seasons. They still needed to win 46 games.

If the Rockets win over 40 games next season which I highly doubt... The tank is over. The team found it's core permanent core for the future.

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This roster will be very safely in the bottom 5-7 teams in the league. And I don’t think it will have even 1% of an effect on our young’s guys ability to know how to win in the future when they have all improved.

sydmill, xiki, topfive and 1 other person like this.
  3. i3artow i3aller

All in on the Wembanyama sweepstakes

topfive and Rokman like this.
  4. Rokman

Rokman Member

I second, third and fourth that!

i3artow i3aller and topfive like this.
  5. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

I think we'll finish a few games out hopefully.

**Newsflash** two years in a row with a top 3 pick and you're still in last place
    you're the Kings
    -another 4 years away from being 4 years away

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sir Chuck does have a point.

7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

the way to become the kings, which is some people's fantasy on here, is to aim for the play in game instead of tanking. What's the kings goal this season? ya, the play in game

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

Just keep the rebuild schedule going this year..... We start coughing up picks to OKC next season.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

People aren't talking about aiming for the play in. People are talking about being more than okay if some 19 and 20 year olds become so great they get into the play in. It is doubtful Rockets go from bottom 5 to a Top 6 seed.

10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If u have the opportunity to enter the wemby sweepstake u go for it. Literally no point attempting to go into playoffs we are not ready.

11. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

Long gone are the days that a crop of drafted players can set the foundation for 10+ years. Modern NBA contracts are shorter than before, and players dictate their destinations more than ever. Even star players rarely stay at a team for more than 5 or 6 years nowadays.

12. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Ya I would MUCH rather tank then risk the playin

13. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

The Kings have placed in ten or so straight lotteries. This may be their best team since Weber and they still might not make the play-in. Again, tanking every year is what the Kings do. We are a better organization than they are.

#373 FLAGRANT1, Sep 19, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  14. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

No, tanking is not what they do. They always try to make moves to try to make the playin. They are the exact opposite of the process sixers, the kings NEVER tank

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

if the Rockets by some miracle were a play-in team this upcoming season, I would celebrate it

people really need to stop acting like tanking guarantees being a contender or 10+ years of success in the future

FLAGRANT1 likes this.
  16. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

It's not about guaranteeing anything, it's impossible to guarantee anything. All you can do is try to maximize your chances, and our title chances having the current core + 24 wins + top 3 pick is higher then our title chances having the current core + 36 wins + pick 11

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Just through rookie scale deals and restricted free agency, teams can essentially lock up a player for a minimum of 7 years.

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

if this current roster won 36 games, then that means Jalen Green and several other players have made significant jumps and are far better than the versions of themselves on a 24 win team, so I don’t necessarily agree

and then the Rockets will have cap space to use in the upcoming years plus BK picks as trade assets to go along with a roster that is the 6th youngest in the league, but is already capable of being a play-in team as opposed to a bottom 3 team getting their ass whooped nightly

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It also has something to do with how the conferences do. Last season, the East's play-in teams consisted of good teams like the Cavs, Nets, and Hawks. The West had trash teams like the Spurs and the Pelicans.

If the Rockets make the play-in like the 47-win Cavs, it may show that we are ready to compete without further tanking. If we make the play-in like the 34-win Spurs, then of course getting a lotto pick is better.

20. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Fair enough, we’re just gonna disagree. If we win 36 games i would be pretty gutted as a fan and extremely disappointed, because our path to title contention would be harder and less likely. I see your point though, i just see no value in being bad vs being terrible