1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022: Healthiest Restaurants in Houston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Sep 17, 2022.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

2022: Healthiest Restaurants in Houston?

Where do you go to "eat right"?

What is the healthy choices in your places of choice?

Rocket River

body slam likes this.
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I just want fast food burger places to offer lettuce wrap burgers.

Xerobull likes this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The only "healthy" fast food I know is El Pollo Loco. Coupons come in the mail regularly. Can feed the entire horde for ~$20. Of course, you can eat unhealthy there, but if you stick with just the grilled chicken and veggies, you are good.

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

There’s a food truck that puts Mac and cheese inside of fried chicken.

B-Bob, ATXNekko, ROCKSS and 3 others like this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

For LEGIT cooking - Ruggles BLACK (not affiliated with Ruggles GREEN or Bellagreen, which is also healthy, but not really in the same tier or conversation). https://rugglesblack.com/houston-ruggles-black-restaurant-food-menu - Paleo/Whole30 friendly. Passes almost any definition of "healthy" you can throw at it + real restaurant atmosphere and quality.

Sashimi anywhere is always healthy.

2nd tier/quality I go to - Local Foods, Dish Society, Zoe's (most locations closed, I think CAVA replaced it and is also mostly fine), Sweetgreen has all healthy dishes (lotta carbs in some) but it isn't my favorite, tbh. Bellagreen (meh).

If you're fine with sodium, people be eating "healthy" at burrito bowl places.

Rocket River and snowconeman22 like this.
  6. Roscoe Arbuckle

Understand that restaurants will always be sodium filled. Salt = flavor.

I prefer to find recipes to do at home. This one takes 20 rather than the ten he states for me, but you'll always get a satisfying result for you and your dining companion.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Most of these places are loaded with butter, salt, etc. And the ones that aren't probably aren't worth the money. Just cook something at home if you're really looking for "healthy". At least you'll know what's going into it for the most part.

Andre0087, Sajan and Roscoe Arbuckle like this.
  8. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I really miss Sweet Tomato. That was my go to for many weekends until the pandemic killed it off. My diet has been $hit since they went out of business

Rocket River likes this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Butter is easy to avoid these days.

Salt - I agree, (but it depends on your "health" goals. For ex: you can lose weight and eat salt) but if you're already eating healthy at home you can afford some salty dining out meals. You don't have to turn into a hermit to eat "healthy".

10. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

That was one of my "healthier" places to go, I wonder if they will open back up, I went to the one at Willowbrook and its still shuttered up

Rocket River likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Nobody on here can really make the determination without considering his health. A lot of overweight people also have high blood pressure and/or kidney problems, so no, they may not be able eat healthy and still eat the amount of salt most restaurants are going to dump in their food. Others have to watch out for carbs because of blood sugars. If he's asking because he's got these problems, then he'll have problems eating much that's made out there in restaurants short of a plain salad (and for some people with kidney issues, that may even be a problem). It's like all the people thinking they're eating "healthy" by chowing down at Panera or something. For some, they're healthy enough that it won't matter. I'm not sure there are many "healthy restaurants", but you may be able to find specific things that are healthy for you at several restaurants if you're willing to limit yourself. But again, depending on your health and health concerns. And just because you cook at home doesn't mean you're a hermit. lol.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I agree. Eating "healthy" means different things to different people. That's for sure. Still sticking with Ruggles Black as the best recommendation for general "healthy eating" out option in Houston.

Thread title asks for restaurants.

#12 Ziggy, Sep 19, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  13. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

A McDonald’s employee is now under arrest after he admitted to “ejaculating” in several hundred batches of the companies famed ‘secret sauce’ since 2014. Evan Thomas, 26, had been an “outstanding employee, receiving employee of the month 5 times” according to the manager and coworkers at the Los Angeles, California location. The fact that this happened was a shock to everybody at the restaurant, including the thousands of customers who may have consumed Thomas’ semen.

ROCKSS likes this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think the ideal for me is. . . .. I guess healthier than the norm
    I don't think 100% healthy is the goal . . . .
    not at the beginning
    but learning to cut back and tamper away from the really bad

If a place is AS salty as everywhere else but all the rest of the food is 50% healthier .. . it's kind of an improvement
    Alot of this thread demonstrates how hard it is to eat healthy unless you buy and prepare all food yourself.

Does anyone do those Home Healthy food delivery things?

Rocket River

ROCKSS likes this.
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. Not quite.
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/mcdonalds-secret-sauce/

16. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

ROCKSS and Ziggy like this.
  17. SuraGotMadHops

Jason's Deli salad bar is a decent consolation, not nearly as many offerings as Sweet Tomato, but it's passable.

Rocket River likes this.
  18. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Agreed....my downfall with them is there dam ranch dressing, the one by my place makes the real stuff and I end up having everything swim in it...........I use croutons to soak it up ;) I try , I really do but its hard to eat out and eat healthy, I have no will power and hell, Mickey D`s doesn't even have salads anymore, 2 easy to run through and get 2 cheeseburgers for less then 5 bucks

Rocket River likes this.
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I was in the drive thru of the new Cabo babo cause it looked healthy. Once I saw that I needed to get on my phone and get the qr code online to order at the DRIVE THRU I drove off pissed. What is the purpose of that? It was dead and there was a dozen workers inside.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Off San Felipe? That place is MID. You did fine to leave. There is a place closer to 610 called ChopShop - https://originalchopshop.com/ - that is convenient and IIRC, "healthy".

cheke64 likes this.