1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Queen Elizabeth II dies at age 96

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BigM, Sep 8, 2022.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

then you’re either not trying hard enough or you don’t see the big picture.

remember, q. el created the kingsman. without her, we wouldn’t have a secret spy organization protecting the free world.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't wish death on anyone, though it's coming for us all. I don't expect I'll live as long as she did, honestly. For a lot of the world, including where my family came from, she just happened to represent something really oppressive and awful. We can go back in my lifetime and find evidence of that. I'm not saying that's all her fault, but that's the reality of being born into and upholding the concept of a monarchy in the 21st century. It might be time to grow up.

3. Buck Turgidson

4. Roscoe Arbuckle

Feel free to post proof of her oppression, dude...

5. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Who caught the heckle heard around the world?

Andrew, you're a sick old man!!

So embarrassing but so deserving.

Jontro likes this.
  6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Read what he wrote again.

For a lot of the world, including where my family came from, she just happened to REPRESENT something really oppressive and awful.

Manny Ramirez likes this.
  7. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why are all y'all harshing fatty's fairy tale buzz?

8. Roscoe Arbuckle

Ah, so "representing" means something. How utterly childish and stupid.

Her actions should be tantamount over anything. She was born into the crown, and she chose to do it as well as she could.

But I guess reparations are the flavor of the month for liberals these days. Btw, hows inflation going for you?

9. bobrek

What does inflation have to do with the Queen’s passing?

Not sure how you gathered anything from my post other than the intent to show what Max wrote as opposed to what you thought he wrote.

Anyway, we are doing just fine with inflation. Heading out to Africa for 3 weeks in early October. Followed by a trip to Minnesota, then back to Hawaii in the spring, followed by a trip to Italy for the Ryder Cub in October. Intermixed with a few other trips to Minnesota, a trip or two to Texas and a trip to NYC and probably the Toronto area. I’ll be getting a new set of golf clubs now that my hip has been replaced and I can play pain free. I’m still happily driving my 2018 Ford Flex. Sadly they aren’t making them any more, so,I won’t be buying a new car anytime soon. The only thing that has noticeably affected us regarding inflation is our electric bill. We’ve probably paid about $500 more this calendar year with similar usage. I get to go on Medicare in November so our health insurance will be cut by about 1/3 and when my wife gets hers in May, it’ll be down about 55-60%.

Yung-T and Manny Ramirez like this.
  10. Roscoe Arbuckle

I'll assume you don't buy groceries then. As for me, rent went up 18% (typically it's 3%) gas has doubled, which automatically leads to higher prices due to the whole shipping nonsense. 78% feel they are worse off then they were two years ago.

But yeah. Let's talk about the British Empire doing things worse centuries ago. And btw, UK abolished slavery roughly 3 decades prior to us, and didn't kill hundreds of thousands to do so. Fancy that.

11. mulletman

mulletman Member

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/...onies-empire-britain-uk-india-kenya-rcna47250

LondonCalling likes this.
  12. bobrek

Still not sure why you’re talking to me about the British Empire. I haven’t offered an opinion one way or another,

Since we own our house, we don’t have rent. But, with respect to our rental house, we have kept the rent stagnant for the 3 years we have rented it out, much to the happiness of our renters. And we’ll keep the rent the same when the new lease is signed in December.

if you’re talking about business rent, that’s too bad. Since I’ve been retired since I was 59, I don’t have to worry about such things.

Yep, gas is high but we generally don’t do too much driving so it’s not a big strain on our budget. My wife has had her car for 2.5 years and has about 7000 miles on it. Her tennis and golfing are relatively close. And we can either walk to the beach or drive less than 3 miles,

Plane fares are all over the place. The Hawaii trip in May was a few hundred dollars more than the Hawaii trip this past May. Meanwhile, our MN flight in December was only about $250 round trip.

I shop quite often. Just got a top sirloin for $5.99 a pound, I should have bought more,

13. Roscoe Arbuckle

That's good for you. This is a thread about the Queen passing & you chose to respond.

And again, that makes you in the 20% that this new admin's decisions haven't caused much of a notable effect. 78% of folks feel much differently than you.

14. bobrek

I totally agree. We're very fortunate in our lives and we are grateful every day.

Still don't know why you brought up inflation in a thread about the Queen.

ElPigto likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

She was also the ruler during the Troubles in Northern Ireland including Bloody Sunday. While again she’s been a figure head with no real power she never fully apologized for the actions of British soldiers or the Royal Ulster Constabulary. In 2019 instead she talked about “vexatious claims undermining our armed forces”
    https://www.irishpost.com/news/ange...bloody-sunday-victims-vexatious-claims-175999

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My guess is a dog at Biden. Just to note inflation has been bad in the UK the last year too and the Pound is the weakest it’s been in decades.

17. bobrek

Yeah... it's amazing how Biden has impacted inflation worldwide. He has a lot of power.

18. bobrek

The cat seems to be interested...

20220919_111217.jpg

Yung-T likes this.
  19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Someone has a THING about cats.