1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Rangers @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 5, 2022.

1. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

You never know, that's why Dusty has to give them a shot.

We do know Yuli and Maldy have been sucking all season. The rookies were called up for a reason, they've got talent, and this is the month to try them out at the major league level. Sometimes seeing young guns get a chance lights the fire in some of the vets who've been on cruise control all season on offense. Yuli, Maldy, Dubon. They can only benefit resting on the bench. Once upon a time Siri and Jake Meyers looked good when debuting. Wasn't it refreshing to see H Brown out there??

I've always thought Correa put himself on cruise control hard during the regular season.

2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Normal idiots defending Dumbo

Stephen66 likes this.
  3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

II want the best players playing. I don't give a damned what their skin color is. It could be purple polka dot for all I care.

Stephen66 likes this.
  4. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I named my dog Vincey after Vince Young. My favorite Astros are Altuve and Correa and Yordan from our run. My least favorite players are usually white guys. I have no desire to see anything other than the best players play regardless of their skin color.

I think Dusty’s preference is to give the benefit of the doubt to old guys and POC. He’s an old guy himself. He broke into the game with active racism rampant and he suffered it, and his mentors all suffered it even worse. It is completely and totally understandable if he has a bias toward people that remind him of himself.

Someone needs to take the decision making reins from him for the playoffs. He makes way too many suboptimal decisions to give him carte blanche in the playoffs.

The best lineup needs to play. That’s something like:
    Altuve, Tucker, Bregman, Alvarez, Mancini, A Diaz, McCormick, Peña, Velasquez. It’s absurd that we haven’t seen that lineup a single time.

Stephen66 and Marshall Bryant like this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yet you claim that Baker is a racist

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Because he is stuck on the racial stereotypes of generations past.

7. bobrek

What moves did he make in last year's world series that were suboptimal?

8. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

FIFY only because MD was worse then JVG

9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

None. I’ve said that he was fine in the playoffs last year. I suspect he was following orders. Nook has intimated as much. This is more based upon his continuous suboptimal decisions throughout this season.

Stephen66 likes this.
  10. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

James Click has more than intimated that the coaching staff and Click's staff collaborate on postseason roster, lineups, and batting order.

Dusty knows this may be his last shot at a WS. I'm not worried about the playoffs being sabotaged by Dusty. I'm concerned about Yordan turning things around and Peña swinging at sliders 2 feet off the plate with the game on the line.

11. bobrek

You also wrote this:

Someone needs to take the decision making reins from him for the playoffs. He makes way too many suboptimal decisions to give him carte blanche in the playoffs.

#831 bobrek, Sep 8, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
  12. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I don't love every move Dusty makes but its really hard to argue with having the most wins in the AL over the last two seasons and going to game 6 of the WS last year.

Dusty (and probably the front office) really prefer a strong defensive line-up. Chazzy Fizz has the classic OF tweener problem: not a good enough fielder to play CF full-time, not a good hitter to hold down a corner OF position full-time.

When Brantley starts over Chas in LF, no one blinks an eye. Brantley is clearly the better hitter.

When Straw/Siri/Meyers start over Chas in CF, plenty of people pitch a fit despite those guys being much better defensive CF'ers.

I would say *maybe* the FO and Dusty value Chas far differently than the fan base. Rather them being racist, maybe they just know/value stuff the general populace doesn't.

marks0223 likes this.
  13. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I can't believe that there are Astros fans who defend Dumbo

Now I don't agree he's a racist but he's an idiot

Yordan The Great likes this.
  14. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

There's only one poster that thinks he's infallible. Yes he makes questionable and aggravating choices in the REGULAR season but s**t, they are going to get a wild card round bye and that's all I care about. Wouldn't lose sleep if they fell to the 2 seed and got an easier first round opponent. Baseball managers have the least impact on winning playoff games than perhaps any team sport on Earth...unless they have the ability to call homerun plays but refuse to do it?

Legitimate things to potentially blame for the Astros not winning the WS this year before blaming "Dumbo".
    1. Yordan playing worse than Dubon
    2. Pena swinging at sliders 2 feet off the plate
    3. Yuli playing worse than Dubon
    4. Mancini playing worse than Dubon since the early HR's
    5. Vazquez not hitting a ball more than 200 feet since the trade
    6. CF being weak offensively
    7. Verlander not coming back from the IL as dominate as before
    8. Same goes for Pressly

All anyone ever focuses on is #3 as if that will solve all the other potential issues. And the solution is to replace him with Mancini, a worse defender and currently a Dubonish offensive player.

*Sorry for all the Dubon slander for any Dubon fans.

RunninRaven and Tomstro like this.
  15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Huh? Yeah....let's pull that **** out of your ASS.

Dusty does make mistakes, as does EVERY manager. But the criticism he gets from some Astros' fan is laughable. Racial stereotypes? LOL.

#835 Mr.Scarface, Sep 8, 2022
  16. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Dubon wouldn't even be here if he wasn't a Baker family favorite.

King1 likes this.
  17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um, Click is the one who traded for Dubon.

18. Jose Cuervo

Jose Cuervo Member

Number 1 on your list is our biggest obstacle right now. I hope the Yordan can get going again before October.

#838 Jose Cuervo, Sep 8, 2022
  19. Yordan The Great

If the Yankees lose they are 34-39 in their last 73 games. They will most assuredly be under .500 for an entire half season's worth of games by the end of next weekend. Ponder that.

Stephen66, King1 and Rock Block like this.
  20. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Correa bomb, thanks CC…..