1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

College/tuition: The largest of scams in plain site

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by LosPollosHermanos, Aug 24, 2022.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

More like Dangerous Mexicans doing Illegal things, shifty China mans spiking the punchbowl with manufactured flus, and robots too ugly for sex work.

Get your Tucker talking points right, bro.

2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Typical Republicans btch about bailing out the student but never have a problem providing tax cuts to the rich and business handouts.

What did the Republicans do for the students when they were in power?
    Devos and trump did jack sht.

How about instead of btching what the dems r trying to do How about u explain to the class that trickle down economics strat the Republicans been trying to enact since the age of Regan.

I hope the Democrats do more. It's better they help the students then cater to the rich since that's all Republicans r good for

AleksandarN likes this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not a conclusion it's a question. I'm trying to get at what you are saying.

Free education is bad? Or unnecessary? To me, we need a system to develop talent that can help be the leaders across disciplines. I don't think college is replaceable by online courses. Academics is only one part of what you get out of college. Honestly so much of my experience was access to experts and the research work I was able to do. Or the feedback you get from people trying to help you grow / challenge you. So much of it has to do with the back and forth you have. And it goes far beyond subject matter. Critical analysis is a skill very underdeveloped in people who didn't go to college, and still underdeveloped in people who didn't have much of a critical thinking discipline. Do you know who had great critical thinking skills in my work experiences? English majors and philosophy majors - best critical thinking skills who could see things from multiple sides.

No, if you are going to be a plumber you don't need those skills. But if you are going into nearly any business profession they definitely give you an edge.

4. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

You are out of your league, rookie.

Trump signed a bill to inject $250 million per year to historically black colleges. Did you already forget that?

Trump built the strongest economy in history, providing ample high-paying jobs for students.

Trump kept inflation low, instead of Biden's 9% inflation which is a 9% pay cut for most people.

Trump enacted an Executive Order to massively expand school choice.

OWNED

5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Pffft u btch about Biden doing the wrong thing to prevent student debt from increasing.

The things u listed that Trump did really has no impact on helping student with their student loans. After he left students were still in debt and continues to still b in debt.

High paying jobs? How much were students getting paid or u just pulling sht out of your ass.

Sounds to me trump did even less to address the actual problems that involved student debt. As u said it was only the first step of Bidens plan how about u wait and see b4 u start btchin.

#65 DatRocketFan, Aug 25, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  6. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

May I ask you a personal question? What is your job?

7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

What point r u trying to prove knowing what I do? But to humor u.
    I recently graduated with my pharmd and have worked as a hospital technican when i was in school. Currently in the process of getting my license to practice.
    The 10k isn't gonna put a dent in my student debt, but if It helps those in need I'm all for it.

#67 DatRocketFan, Aug 25, 2022
    krnxsnoopy likes this.
  8. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

That's awesome man, I support you and hope your career takes off. Nothing but the best wishes for your success my friend.

But I'm a Mexican Industrialist. So sit TF down and listen to El Jefe.

9. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Same. I won't benefit from this but 10k will go a long way for people in student loan debt living paycheck to paycheck. I've been there before and know how hard life is being in debt and struggling paycheck to paycheck. It feels like a hole you can never climb yourself out of. Buying a house? Forget about it.

How about some compassion instead of worrying about getting a few percentages tax cut. You'll be fine.

#69 krnxsnoopy, Aug 25, 2022
    Invisible Fan likes this.
  10. CCorn

CCorn Member

Hunter Biden!

Squirtle and Invisible Fan like this.
  11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

There are facets of liberal arts that are very important. Communication skills, and im using this very broadly, should be something of continuing education. English, Economics, Philosophy, ect fall under this category. Underwater basket weaving not so much. The issue is most liberal arts degrees do not translate directly into well paying jobs. But if its coupled with STEM degrees, it becomes invaluable.

What I am trying to differentiate is the difference between people who have a passion for their study vs those who just want a job and put in the hours and live a good life. The latter is what most people are. These people should not be burdened with 100k school loans because a job will not hire you simply because you dont have a piece of paper. Your top tier university students have a much higher success of translating that university experience into a fruitful career...simply because they accept the most intelligent and most driven. There are many well paying jobs that do not require extensive studies. This thought is not to target your middle to upper class segment of people who already have an edge on those who struggle or simply live in poverty.

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I have no problem with a free education, but not with the structure that the majority of higher education institutions set. Also the title says scam degrees , engineering is the prototypical degree that has value upon graduation.

because southern New Hampshire offers film and gender studies the tax payer shouldn’t have to pay for 100K +. Not to mention unassuming college students really wanna get drunk and party and in a lot of cases don’t think through. In countries where the govt provides this you’ll find these costs not to be the case and it’s more structured. We don’t have that in place

hell, even my undergrad degree was ****ing useless. The mandatory (history, art , etc that I hadn’t already AP’d out of) was thousands of dollars that really served no purpose. I will say SG is also mostly right about apprenticeship, that’s where the majority of skill/craft comes for the majority of jobs , on top of having a solid foundation etc to work off of

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Most Universities are state run, or are regulated by the state assemblies....

They can lower the costs.

DD

14. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

What about teachers. They don’t get enough pay for what they do and what they have to put up with. The more help they get (whether it is through student debt relief or other means) the better.

15. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Exactly.

16. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

You're a pharmacist? Lol.

17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Still need to pass the test to get my license to practice. But ya I went to school and got my doctorate degree.

No reason to lie about it.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The thing is I would trust someone who finished a four year degree in gender studies relative to gen pop to be less prone to things like click bait propaganda because for four years they just read dry nuanced reading material and spending hours organizing their thoughts and writing about what they read. They creates literary patience. More Americans who are have the patience to read complete articles and analyze them is a good thing. A well informed society is an important concept for a sustainable democracy right?

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Can someone explain to me: In what sense is “Joe Plumber” paying the costs of this student debt forgiveness policy if he is not actually seeing a raise in his taxes or reduction in government benefits or services as a result? Isn’t the Democratic plan to pay for all this extra spending and debt forgiveness to increase taxes on the super wealthy?