1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: FBI raiding Mar-a-Lago

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by larsv8, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Trump wanted to leave NATO during his first term. He was convinced to wait.

2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

It wasnt even a good manipulated video. Come on yall.

3. cdastros

cdastros Member

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'd like your post, but I'm too busy hanging my head in shame.

ROCKSS, Astrodome and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. CCorn

CCorn Member

Meanwhile the Clintons were allowed to play 18 holes

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't let these people in either.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

They increased their funding, in particular those eastern side nations, the freeloading was his gripe more than anything.

9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Stuff supposedly in what turned out to be the empty safe? He had a standing order that all documents moved to mar-a-lago were declassified.

The whole problem with this thing is Trump is Moby Dick, their quest to get him has turned them into Ahab, but the rest of us are the poor suckers on the Pequod watching them destroy every "norm" they ever had.

blue_eyed_devil likes this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Again...assume the following. Obama takes classified documents concerning a new US missile in development. He had a standing order to declassify anything he takes out. An official from, let's say, Saudi or Russia has a access to the now declassified documents. Are you OK with that?

Nook, Sajan and Andre0087 like this.
  11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I don’t see Trump in that picture.

12. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

You do realize that countries don't just give money to NATO right? The so-called money owed to NATO is not money owed to NATO. It is a goal of spending a certain percentage of their GDP on their own defense. This whole narrative of countries owing money to NATO is a lie and Trumpsters fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

Nook, jiggyfly, No Worries and 2 others like this.
  13. havoc1

havoc1 Member

It is amazing to me that Trump can first claim that the FBI planted these classified documents at Mar-a-lago, completely change his story to “Oh I actually declassified everything before taking it home” and people still try to defend him.

There is also a process for declassifying documents that, as of yet, there is no evidence that Trump followed. There also might be classified documents he was in possession of that he can’t declassify.

This is so obviously Trump trying to lie his way out of trouble, again, and it is crazy that people actually take him seriously.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I missed the weekend. Anyone solve anything here?

the Dersh wrote an opinion piece over the weekend that appears in today's print edition:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/but-he...ial-records-act-11660482495?mod=hp_opin_pos_1

‘But Her Emails’? A Defense of ‘Whataboutism’
    Mrs. Clinton should take her hat off. Treating like cases alike is crucial to the equal protection of the law.
    By Alan M. Dershowitz
    Aug. 14, 2022 12:35 pm ET

Attorney General Merrick Garland is a decent man, and he said the right things in his statement regarding the search of Donald Trump’s residence at Mar-a-Lago: “All Americans are entitled to the evenhanded application of the law, to due process of the law, and to the presumption of innocence.”

It is what he didn’t say that raises disturbing questions about the process. Why didn’t the Justice Department seek to enforce the subpoena it apparently had issued, rather than seek a search warrant? Was this consistent with the “standard practice” Mr. Garland articulated in his statement—“to seek less intrusive alternatives to a search” whenever possible?

Why was the matter handled so differently from the prior investigations of Sandy Berger and Hillary Clinton, who were also suspected of mishandling classified material? Mrs. Clinton herself mocked that question by sporting a baseball cap with the logo “But her emails.”

Her hat is intended to deride the argument made by Trump supporters and some civil libertarians that the investigation of Mr. Trump’s alleged security breaches should be evaluated against the way in which earlier cases were handled. Berger and Mrs. Clinton were suspected of mishandling confidential materials—he by removing them from the National Archives in 2005, she by transmitting them over her private email server while serving as secretary of state. Berger was administratively fined, and Mrs. Clinton was rebuked by James Comey, then director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, which might have cost her the 2016 election. But neither was subjected to broad search warrants or criminal prosecution.

Those who reject this comparison accuse those who make it of “whataboutism.” But treating like cases alike is crucial to the equal protection of the laws. The way in which Berger and Mrs. Clinton were treated is highly relevant in determining whether Mr. Trump is being subjected to a double standard of justice.

The facts, especially the degrees of culpability, may be different; and if so, that would provide a good answer to the “what about” question. But if the facts are similar and the treatment is different, Americans are entitled to ask whether this constitutes the even application of the law that Mr. Garland promised. The shoe must fit comfortably on the other foot if justice is to be done and seen to be done. There can’t be one rule for Democrats and another for Republicans.

So the question “What about her emails?” is an appropriate one. Mocking it is no answer. Neither is the cliché “two wrongs do not make a right.” A second wrong doesn’t justify or excuse the first, but unequal treatment of two comparable wrongs should raise concerns about fairness and equality. Unequal treatment of two equal wrongs is a third wrong.

The “whataboutism” argument applies as well to the manner in which Trump loyalists such as Peter Navarro, Roger Stone and Paul Manafort were arrested. In comparable cases involving similar charges, the defendants weren’t handcuffed, shackled or subjected to restraints generally reserved for those who pose a risk of violence or flight.

“Whataboutism” is a new word for an old idea. There’s a 19th-century Yiddish expression: “a for-instance is not an argument.” Yet sometimes it is. If a pattern of nonenforcement can be demonstrated—as with the Logan Act, under which nobody has been prosecuted since 1852—it will be difficult to prove equal justice if it is suddenly and selectively invoked to target a political enemy. If, on the other hand, violation of the Classification or Records Acts were routinely prosecuted and alleged violators subject to a search warrant, then the case for equal application of the law will have been made.

Perhaps presidents should be treated differently. It is often argued that presidents aren’t above the law, but neither are they beneath deserving fair treatment, as Bill Clinton can attest. Mrs. Clinton should take off her hat. Just as her actions don’t excuse Mr. Trump’s, his don’t excuse hers. Her treatment of the emails and server were wrong even if they didn’t constitute a crime. Mr. Trump’s removal of possibly classified information might have been wrong too. Such two wrongs should encourage Congress to tighten up the laws governing such information and the Justice Department to enforce them equally and fairly, as Mr. Garland assured us it does.

But until Mr. Garland fully and specifically answers the hard questions about what appears to be unequal application of rules and practices, “what about her emails?” will be a pertinent question.

Mr. Dershowitz is a professor emeritus at Harvard Law School and author of “The Price of Principle: Why Integrity Is Worth the Consequences.”

Appeared in the August 15, 2022, print edition as '‘But Her Emails’? A Defense of ‘Whataboutism’'.

blue_eyed_devil likes this.
  15. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

When Alan Dershowitz starts a sentence assessing someone else's character I tend not to read any further...

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

cool beans

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dershowitz seems to forget that Trump’s staff including members of his family who served in the Administration also used private email and weren’t treated as harshly as Hillary Clinton did.

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

lmao.

cdastros and jiggyfly like this.
  19. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

We all want answers, we live in a world where we want instant gratification, but this is possibly related to National Security and I am sure they are doing this 100% by the book and no short cuts so it can take time. There is so much speculation but unfortunately I think we will have to wait until they cross the t`s and dot the i`s. The gop leaders who called for the attack on the FBI and the baseless accusation's is so far from the republican party I grew up with that its sad to see what they have become, it truely is a cult and the talking heads who went on the normal sunday programs should be ashamed for the excuses they change daily.......why not just say hold on, lets get all the facts and then we can talk about it, so many are painting them into a corner that they wont recover................oh wait, WTF am I saying, the base will forget about it by this weekend :rolleyes: Oh....one last thing, that Desantis video that was doctored had me fooled, I almost thought Desantis did the right thing.........what the hell was I even thinking :D

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

Cool. Arrest Hillary.

ROCKSS likes this.