1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2022 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 9, 2022.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Excuse me. Only 9 of his last 10 starts and his last 8 have been vs Righties. Gotta get that right or it's ALL WRONG.

vs Lefties 402 OBP; 589 SLG; 991 OPS
    vs Righties 288 OBP; 335 SLG; 623 OPS

#1641 Marshall Bryant, Aug 13, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
  2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

It is so infuriating.

King1 likes this.
  3. awc713

awc713 Member

Astros are:

1st in batting AVG against
    2nd in WHIP
    2nd in ERA
    3rd in HR
    5th in Slugging %
    10th in runs
    12th OBP%
    17th Batting AVG

Snake Diggit likes this.
  4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Now that Brantley is Out, Who’s On Left?

The best offensive lineup has Chas in center and it’s not close. The best defensive lineup has Chas in left. If you stick Chas in center, then your options are to sacrifice defense for offense.

---------- ------------- ------------ ------------

1. Altuve 2b
    2. Tucker rf
    3. Bregman 3b
    4. Yordan lf
    5. Mancini dh
    6. Gurriel 1b
    7. Pena ss
    8. Chas cf
    9. Vazquez c
    That’s a mashers lineup. You can also keep Diaz in LF and Yordan at DH if you replace Gurriel with Mancini at 1b. (If you’re worried about Chas vs. righties, check out Dubon’s wRC+ of 32 against same-handed matchups!)

https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2022/8/13/23304130/now-that-brantley-is-out-whos-on-left

5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

That lineup is better offensively with Diaz in place of Yuli.

htownrox1 likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Bregman
    Altuve
    Yordan
    Mancini
    Tucker
    Yuli/Diaz
    Pena/Diaz
    Chas/C
    C/CF

I know it's not going to happen.

7. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

If anyone is penciling yuli in as part of their best lineup, you’re just being as stubborn as Dusty.

Its as if you haven’t seen his rbi total, on base %, or slugging%. It’s also as if you haven’t actually watched the majority of his at bats. The endless parade of softly tapped grounders and pop ups. The horrible pitch recognition. Mancini needs to play everyday and he plays the position that our weakest (by far) link occupies. Its a no brainer. Yuli’s defense is nothing special anymore either. I’m sure Mancini can pick/scoop it as well as Yuli. Time to nut up Dusty and make the obvious change. Yuli is still there for insurance and the occasional start.

Stephen66 and King1 like this.
  8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Why? At this point of the season, why bench Yuli? You have a 12 game lead, 1st in the AL. You are going to need Yuli in the playoffs without Brantley. Yuli has played better, for the most part, as of late. Why mess with Chemistry? Mancini can play LF and DH, with the occasional 1B. In the playoffs, you can play Mancini more at 1B if Yuli hasn't shown he has improved by the end of the season.

9. RocketToVegas

RocketToVegas Member

Great job, Nostradamus! Any other brilliant predictions so that I can bet on the opposite?

10. Qan

Qan Member

Agree, at this point let Yuli play 1B rest of season and allow him to see if it gets better by playoffs. But Dusty needs to let Mancini play every game, either LF (especially at mmp), DH, or 1B (big LF or Yuli needs rest)...I don't want to hear any bs ground-ball/fly-ball reason.

11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If you do this at least move him down in the lineup.

everyday eddie likes this.
  12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Alex Bregman's last 50 games

157 WRC+

Alex Bregman of old is showing with significant AB's.

Big game changer if he is "back"

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Because you don’t need Yuli in the playoffs. Mancini is your first baseman, Pena improves by hitting in the two hole. You instantly improve 2 offensive positions with one move. McCormick goes to cf and gets ready to be the every day starter there. Yordan/Diaz can share lf/dh. Vazquez should get a few more starts after Maldi cools off. Mr. Scarface you are dying on the trust Dusty train just like you did on the trust O’Brien train. When Yuli plays he should be batting 9th and maybe every once in a while he can get a seeing eye dog single to set up Altuve or Pena to knock him in. We lost the WS last year, because we couldn’t hit in the postseason. Why waste getting the guys who can hit ready for the postseason? Yuli can be your utility guy pinch hitter.

htownrox1, Tuckmose, Tomstro and 3 others like this.
  14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Now that Chaz finally got a start in CF lets see if it becomes a regular thing. Mancini and Chaz should both start against lefties, always.

Unlike a lot of people here, I see the Astros reasoning in continuing to give Meyers a lot of PA to see if he can get going. If he hasn't as we get close to October, Chaz should be the everyday centerfielder because here's no real evidence that Chaz is a problem in CF. I think Meyers ceiling is higher on both offense and defense, but this nonsense about refusing to put Chaz out there defensively stupid.

htownrox1 and Wulaw Horn like this.
  15. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I've been pretty apprehensive about Chas but his overall numbers are starting to make that difficult. I know the lefty splits really mess everything up, but at the very least he should be a TOL guy against lefties.

htownrox1 likes this.
  16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

The golden age continues. This is a blast.

HeyBudLetsParty likes this.
  17. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Shut the **** up b****.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I can see getting Meyers PAs. I'd dial it back some as I don't think it should be at the expense of Chas until Meyers is playing better.

#1658 Joe Joe, Aug 15, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    BlindHog likes this.
  19. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

20. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Glad to see Bregman swinging it better. His recent homeruns have been fairly long shots for him which is a good sign. Need him to continue to be this productive in away games too. Maybe Yuli will join the party eventually.
    [​IMG]