1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AMC] Better Call Saul Season 6

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Mar 10, 2022.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

You'll get the answer in the next episode, but basically yes.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

A subtle reminder that this show is not Breaking Bad and was never intended to be Breaking Bad.

There will likely be no big payoff or reveal. We already know the fate of the pertinent main characters (Gus, Mike, Saul, no relationship with Kim, etc.). Its just supreme story telling by Gilligan/Gould that works on multiple cinematic levels.

The Lalo/Gus/Mike cartel plots are basically a different show alltogether and wasn't part of the original plan of BCS.... but evolved that way. Now that they've tied up that story line, its basically back to how BCS was prior to Fring. A slow burn that doesn't feel like much in the moment, but does impress on re-watch or binge watch.

3. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I finished watching last night and was not impressed, maybe there isn't a big bang over the next 3 but dont do the black and white thing.......Having spent time in Omaha it was nice to see they got there facts about the Huskers correct when talking to the mall cop........ont thing I think I may have not heard correctly, they called it the Cottonwood Mall, but there is no such mall in Omaha, a quick google search shows its in Albuquerque but maybe I missed the context of the conversation

Rocket River and conquistador#11 like this.
  4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

No one is expecting it to be Breaking Bad, that's not the point here.
    But with only few episodes left and the characters already fully developed really, it makes little sense to spend an entire episode on Jimmy training two guys for a little clothing heist, we already know who he is and that the scheming and scamming is something he'll have in him til he dies.

And wasting an entire episode on that also isn't supreme storytelling or cinematography, no matter how much you like the rest of the series.

conquistador#11 and marks0223 like this.
  5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Was anyone else kind of surprised that Mike fell for the Lalo setup and left Gustavo to go to you-know-whose? Mike was always the smart one but he seemed really stupid on this occasion. The way the whole plot played out in that episode just didn’t seem believable.

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Mike didn't expect Gus to leave, how could he? And Mike WAS right, it was Mike that gave Gus the idea to check the laundry place. Mike was also shook, he was worried about Saul's safety.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I thought the black and white episode was cool. It's what the series has really been about since day 1.

A lot of shows get caught up in building up a huge spectacle as they close out. This show gave the fans a reminder/nostalgia of what made the show what it was.

Stop and smell the roses episode.

ryan_98, jelanit, ROCKSS and 4 others like this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Huh? We have never had a Gene-centric episode. One that showed how he may be able to stay safe in the future (or how he may eventually give in and fall back into bad habits to a point where he gets caught).

And honestly, what plot/story-arc would realistically satisfy you over the last 3 episodes? We already know there will be a breaking bad cameo of sorts (likely set in breaking bad time). And we likely will see at least one more scene with Kim. But there really isn’t much other content there for them to focus on.

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not supreme story telling??

As far as story-telling goes, that was as detailed a construction of a con they’ve had all series.

Needing to ensure he doesn’t get caught by cab driver, comes up with this scheme: Finds out he lives with his mom and is likely craving something more. Somehow figuring out the mom has an affinity for small dogs. Knowing the mom rides a scooter and how to stall/disable it on her regular route while she gets distracted by the dog signs. Befriending/charming the mom to the point that the previous supisicious/calculating mom has no earthly clue there’s a con being played. Reading the son correctly in his desire to be in the game. Establishing a rapport with the mall cops, complete with becoming a Nebraska Cornhusker super fan. Knowing one will devour Cinnabon. Timing said cop on how he eats Cinnabon and how often he looks at the monitor while doing so. Mapping out the entire store and location of the big ticket items, complete with a rhyming scheme to help remember the items. Constructing a replica of the floor-plan in a snowy field. Creating a fake delivery company manifest complete with dispatch # and convincing the manager to let them keep the Trojan horse box there. Having to think on the fly when the dude slipped and he needed to stall the cop (and probably one of BO’s best acting performances… actually likely a bit of truth in his “I’m all alone” speech that Gene is pretending to give). Following through on his “flowers” promise when they came to pick up the items, which further decreases suspicion that there was something fishy going on.

And then the reveal of why he did it all… which the audience isn’t exactly privy to till the end (up till that point, I just thought he was also scratching old itches and not gunning for mutually assured destruction).

I thought it was very well done. But I can see why one would be dissapointed if they were expecting some Ozymandias-type action or a plot twist that tied into future events.

#149 Nick, Jul 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  10. Buck Turgidson

It's like people were expecting John Wick style sh*t

Ziggy likes this.
  11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

There's quite a huge gap between "John Wick style sh*t" and a 1hr episode of watching someone eat cinnabon and two dudes stealing clothes.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  12. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Apparently the next episode is called
    Breaking Bad
    Link

marks0223 likes this.
  13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I thought the last episode was great. I think the only way for the series to have any real sense of conclusion is to see what happens to Gene, and staying in hiding as an Omaha Cinnabon manager isn't it. There had to be something to make Jimmy break his facade and this is it. This isn't the end of that story. Marion (the great Carol Burnett) mentioned that Jeff had fallen in with a bad crowd in ABQ and I don't think that's an innocent, throw-away line.

Who knows, maybe Saul once defended Jeff and simply doesn't remember him amongst his many clients? Maybe Jimmy has silenced Jeff but it's Marion who will recognize him and blow his cover?

This episode will have further repercussions over the last 3 episodes that will lead to the end of Gene's story.

#153 Cannonball, Jul 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  14. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I am trying to fill in a few blanks here, when Kim left him and then all of a sudden he was in that sick a$$ house, how much time had elapsed? It had to take quite awhile to make that kind of money and then to decorate the thing...........the house was cool though, very Saul Goodman

BamBam likes this.
  15. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

@Cannonball had a good summary of the timeline:

[AMC] Better Call Saul Season 6

ROCKSS likes this.
  16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

How many free Cinnabon rolls did Gene give the two security guards between the time he started giving them to security and when the robbery occurred? Should we contact Cinnabon and tell them they are losing money over this (as a joke obviously)? What happens to the leftover Cinnabon rolls at the end of the business day? Trash? Or, employees take them home? Gene was making those rolls fresh, though. Or, at least he was spreading the icing fresh. I thought he would at least piss in the icing or something. LOL

Also, was Gene coordinating the mall robbery for fun or is he really in need of funds? Did he not get any of the funds from the barrel that Walt had? Or, all the money he made handling Walt and Jesse's affairs? I dunno. I assume he's got real money issues if he chose to work at Cinnabon. And, how did he end up as manager? If he's in hiding, then he couldn't put his previous jobs on the resume right? He probably lied on his resume. Or, maybe he worked his way up? I'm not sure how long he's been working there?

#156 Surfguy, Jul 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Maybe Giligan will have another spin-off just about Gene… and the complicated inner-workings of Cinnabon managerial ascents.

As far as the last question, Gene was doing this to be able to hold it against Jeff should Jeff ever decide to rat him out as Saul. Jeff would then be found guilty of being part of the heist and would be on the hook for at least 20 years (per Gene’s explanation on all the laws they broke).

As far as money goes, Saul said at the end of BB that he was basically out… using most of it to give to the vaccume cleaner guy. I’m sure in that package they do have a stipend to get them started. And I’m sure with his new identity the fixer also is able to generate a fake resume with previous employers/jobs that will vouch for him.

Surfguy and Yung-T like this.
  18. conquistador#11

I consider any episode without Kim a filler episode. But I understand they had to close the loop on who was stalking our boi Saul at the cinnabon a couple of seasons earlier.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  19. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i thought it was good, but do feel that it could have been more considering its the 3rd to last episode. it might be better when put in the context of the next episodes. they're clearly setting up the return of saul. maybe he does what walter white did at the end of BB and makes a return to ABQ.

BB ended perfectly imo and i trust the writers to come up with a satisfying ending for saul. whatever happens, i know they wont game of thrones us.

im still wondering how they bring back walt and jesse. i dont think it will be in a flashback unless its just a random scene of them crossing paths. im guessing they bring them back in present "gene" time. maybe walt survived the gunfight and is now in prison? jesse is still on the run and returns to ABQ. kim will be involved somehow too. i dont think we have seen the last of her. what if it turns into a break-walt-out-of-prison plot-twist! haha.

to those who saw the preview. it shows saul talking to someone on the phone while his car is parked at a 4-way crossroads in what looks to be farm country...was anyone else reminded of the ending of castaway (tom hanks). the scene after he visits his now-remarried wife and he is parked just like that at a four-way crossroads in what looks to be farm country. i wonder if thats foreshadowing...jimmy was cast-away as gene and he tries to reconnect, only to discover that kim is now remarried with kids.

its weird b/c i saw castaway when it came out 20+ years ago, but i immediately remembered this scene when i saw the BCS preview...

castaway...
    [​IMG]

better call saul preview...

20. omgTHEpotential

Nice catch! Knowing the creators, I'm sure it's very possible this wasn't coincidence.

Rocket River and Two Sandwiches like this.