1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's/who's the next move?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Puppet Master, Jun 25, 2022.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

He's already better than Giannis

As Ric Flair once said, "Woooo!!"

2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/shooting.fcgi?player_id=porteke02&year_id=2022&month=3

I hope Porter can build on that 7 game stretch where he shot the ball well and continue to work on his weaknesses and be better. But the graphic posted here doesn’t show the complete story. He shot the ball .429 during the month of March. For this month he only shot .410 in the First QTR, .352 in the Second QTR, and .324 in the 4th. The 3rd QTR is where he shined shooting .544. His 3% in 4th QTR was .167 and .250 in the second QTR. He only shot .367 on jumpshots. He seems to have issues from 3-16 ft. Shooting around .400. But on the plus side he limited turnovers at 2.3 a game during this stretch. And his assists were decent at 6.3 per game. Lots of encouraging signs but consistency with his shot is what he really needs. A lot of this is from holding the ball too long trying to do too much (6+ seconds 35% of his shots) instead of letting the game come to him or giving up the ball to team mates. This upcoming season will be crucial for him.

#362 Stephen_A, Jul 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    Believe It! and raining threes like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

You could do this with any player to find their warts.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I am simply illustrating his weaknesses and areas to improve upon and responding to the graphic which did not paint the full picture. I understand you are a staunch supporter of KPJ but the numbers illustrate a story like it or not.

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

It's Cherry Picking Season! "Scoot shoots bad on follow ups within 6 feet off his right foot and falling away - he really needs to work on that" :D:D:D

Bobbythegreat and D-rock like this.
  6. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Before you mock me If you accept a player shooting .400 and below for 3 quarters then that’s on you and quite telling in your understanding of the game in terms of what a good point guard should be shooting. The numbers are there and it is significant. I am pretty sure any good coach has used these numbers in analyzing his performance just as I have. I’m not sure why you mock and demean me especially when I was open minded, fair and even supportive of him in my post. My information was simply to expose a deeper look of his numbers since the graphic only illustrated a surface look at his performance and not completely truthful. Again you may be a fan or staunch supporter but please don’t let your emotional attachment to this player move you to be disrespectful to me when I’m simply presenting a view on here to spark thought and discussion.

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Why did you pick those two months. LOL

D-rock likes this.
  8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

That was the month in the graphic dude. Simply responding to the graphic since the person who posted the graphic was making the point that he was good in march/April. The person noted that his performance was good even before the Late Mar/April 7 game stretch. Simply a response to what was posted.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Kevin Porter Jr shot 46% on 2's and 38% on 3's with an eFG of 52% and TS% of 53% for the year. All quarters combined. Not a sniper by any means, but he is a capable shooter and definitely not the liability that is trying to get promoted here especially when you factor in his ability to get to the rim. He could stand to improve his free throw shooting and taper down his turnovers in that same sample size if being objective and looking at the matter globally. I guess we should be lucky that the game doesnt only include only 2nd and 4th quarters.

D-rock likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

I think the Rockets can set themselves up to be very flexible the next season, which can be a good thing and not always harbinger of cheapness by the owner.

I don't really see any big moves coming this season but just shuffling the chairs. Rockets are in a pretty good spot to absorb some contract(s) and get some late FRPs/SRPs by packaging Gordon and some of the plethora of players with have. We still are pretty incentivized to just organically be bad this season and see what we have in players like KPJ, KMJ, JChris, and Garuba.

I feel like Garuba and JChris are going to be the odd men out either this season (maybe in Gordon trade package) or after this season since we can't pay all 4 FRP from 2020 draft.

TimDuncanDonaut and Corrosion like this.
  11. thehoustoner

thehoustoner Member

I'm no expert.

Bring in a vet to mentor. Develop these kids into assets and wait out for the last generation of all-stars to fade out (of course some players towards the end of the last generation will still be around. Thats fine.). See which new generation of stars are disgruntled and use our assets to bring them here assuming we already have a few key pieces( Jalen, Tari, Jabari, Sengun etc...) <==Hopefully 1 or 2 of those guys pan out to be all-stars, preferably Jalen and whoever else. The Rockets currently are set up very nice for the future....

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

My bad. Didn’t realize that.

Stephen_A likes this.
  13. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I think this part is the key. I wrote in some other thread. If KPJ can share the ball with Green and Sengun quickly and comfortably, this could result in

1) more fluid offense
    2) increased assists for Sengun and Green
    3) increased efficiency for KPJ
    4) decreased turnovers for KPJ

I hope KPJ does not try to increase his number of assists by trying to set up more plays, which probably will end-up much less efficient offense with more turnovers. It would be great if he could get the same numbers with better efficiency while raising the games of others.

Believe It! and Stephen_A like this.
  14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

This should be the plan. Good post.

15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I agree with you. I actually think he can be really good if he wasn’t the primary handler and playmaker. His catch and shoot is 48% and he is pretty explosive getting to the rim. One player he resembles to me is Jaylen Brown of Celtics. Not saying their game is similar but they both hold the ball for quite a long time and a large part of their FG attempts they dribble more than 7 dribbles before a shot. That’s why Celtics offense didn’t exactly flow either. Less dribbling and holding is better for KPJ.

Believe It! and saleem like this.
  16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

KPJ has better handles than Brown. I agree on the iso/dribbling points. I think KPJ can adjust, but Silas needs to intervene. We will see.

Stephen_A likes this.
  17. Puppet Master

Puppet Master Member

That Jabari off the dribble, off the glass bucket was very Wood like

I hope he doesn't make a habit of forcing shots like that

18. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Jabari is still developing in that area. We all know he has to improve his ball handling but showing us this finish at least says he has something to build off of.

saleem and raining threes like this.
  19. Puppet Master

Puppet Master Member

Rockets offense will be extremely better if Tate quickly passes the ball ala Draymond when he's on the perimeter

Unless his 3 pt shot has gotten better, I would prefer the quick pass out

20. Puppet Master

Puppet Master Member

It's not the ball handling I'm talking about. I'm speaking about the tough shot over the defense. Wood used to always do that, take 2 big steps then throw it at the rim with defenders on him. It was annoying

saleem likes this.