1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are handles really Jabari's Problem?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LikeMike, Jul 12, 2022.

1. dmoneybangbang

Yes, but more broadly his overall offensive game is pretty rudimentary for a modern big or oversized wing. This was a known weakness coming in; we already know the defense is good but how well will the offense game come along is the major question.

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. Juxtaposed Jolt

/thread.

I feel like people are wanting him to have Kyrie / Steph handles, when all he needs to cap out at, is to be this:

MaxRider likes this.
  3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

As long as Jabari can attack a closeout he'll be fine. Right now I not sure if he can reliably attack his defender off the bounce, but that won't be the focal point of his offense. Porzingis rarely takes more than a dribble or two to score, even more rarely getting to the rim, and he's been a 20ppg scorer for four straight seasons. Jabari can easily be a pick and pop threat with either KPJ or Green.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  4. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

My whole point is Horry played a huge role
    In the rocket championship early on in his career. He was a vital part. I don’t think we win without him
    And that no insult to Dream. Jabari is right about where Horry was when the Rockets draft him, not saying that all he is jsut that he’s still vital to the team and can’t be called a bust. He can’t start out as Horry and grow into something more.

5. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I see what you're saying but going to push back a little. KG didn't really shoot from range off the dribble, which is something Jabari can already do. At his size and his release point, being able to shoot off the dribble is a tremendous weapon, but he won't have as many opportunities to do so if his handle limits him to dribbling into a shot only when he's not under much pressure. He doesn't need to be Kyrie/Steph, but if he doesn't get to be a little better than KG he won't unlock one of his best strengths.

On the other hand, he definitely doesn't need a huge stepback package, he can simply rise up and shoot over almost anyone. Reminds me of KD, or even Tracy McGrady in that way.

Edited to add in McGrady reference.

6. dmoneybangbang

Cap out as a HOF PF on the offensive end? That's it?

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

If it wasn't hard to learn then there'd be more PFs doing it.

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

We don't need him to have a better offensive game, but he will need it to reach the next level. I'm sure the Rockets would want him expand his game.

He's only a rookie so he's got plenty of time to work on his game.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

A bit off topic, but for a player labeled an elite shooter, Bari's defensive abilities are far more advanced than his offensive game. On defense, he gets lower and slide his feet with great confidence, often commanding his teammates to their proper assignments. In contrast, on offense, he is quite a bit undecisive, except for the shooting part in the game against the Spurs. I believe he will get that side of the ball figured out, eventually, and when he does, Bari's complete game will be a sight to see.

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

His dribbling is pretty inept. It will be a very big hindrance for him if he wants to develop into a true star offensively.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

I don't think he has confidence in his own handles. He said before he doesn't do anything he isn't confident with and have praticed many times in the gym. He just needs to practice more and he'll have a serviceable handles to open up the rest of his game

12. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Jabari does not need to be able to break people down off the dribble to be a superstar. Kevin Garnet, Tim Duncan, Bosh, Chris Webber…I love the fact that he’s not a moron like wood who thinks he’s a guard.

Btw, Chet’s ball handling is cute (in summer league) but he’s not going to have as much success doing that when the real games start.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This. I think the thing is that he doesn't have the confidence and the attack-the-basket mindset. It may be because he doesn't have good skill at that. If that's the case, he needs to work on it. He doesn't need to be elite. Just good enough to be confident with it.

dmoneybangbang and jiggyfly like this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Great post.

I agree with everything, especially the defense.

Bosh had better handles and had more post moves he was not dependent on the turnaround in the post.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

All of those guys could break people down off the dribble, and they all had more post moves than a turnaround jumper.

Webber was a bit of a point forward.

Not great comps.

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

Cap out as in dribble as much as KG dribbled, on any given possession.

With all this handles talk, it feels like people are expecting Bari to bring the ball up the court and initiate the offense. All he needs to do, for now at least, is to camp near the elbow / inside the arc and let the play develop.

If/when the ball comes to him, make a decision to pass it, shoot it or try and blow by his defender. Given his rookie frame, it's probably hard to back down an opposing 4/5. Blowing by his defender, given Bari's length, shouldn't take more than 2-3 dribbles.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  17. i3artow i3aller

Jalen and Jabari both need to shore up their handles, but they have years to do exactly that. I’m not the least bit concerned seeing as they’re so incredibly hardworking and 100% dedicated to improving their craft. Put the work in now to make the game easier later. Time to get comfortable with the uncomfortable.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  18. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I’d say his handles are pretty poor, yes, but not completely atrocious for his size. They are definitely not a strength. I’d say they are well below average overall, but for a 6’10” guy they are still pretty weak, but not all-time bad or anything. Definitely room for improvement.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

Jabari basically walked into 20 points last night while Tari attacked the rim aggressively and got 20. The difference was night and day. But it goes to show you what Smith could be with some aggression and some decisiveness. That's the biggest thing on my board right now.

20. csc177

csc177 Member

Folks need to stop with the true PG angle; That no longer exists. There are playmaking guards, that’s it. The guards that can’t necessarily play-make, but can shoot, play shooting guard. The days of the “true pg” are long gone.