1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Spurs - Vegas Summer League 7/11/2022

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 10, 2022.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Impression from game 3

Jabari obviously had his best game, but again, his defense was what was so impressive to me. He put the complete package together tonight. He will have to revise his shooting technique; takes way too long to get his shot off. And he’s gonna have to spend years improving his handles. But it was easy to see how good this guy can be if he keeps working. I am very comfortable with Jabari; we are lucky to have him. I want those turquoise shoes (I’m writing this from Santa Fe).

I’d like to ask the folks who said Tari was a zero offensively to admit they were wrong. This guy can score in a lot of ways. He also fights for the ball like his life depends on it. He’s got as much upside as anyone on the team. He also looks like he’s related to Donald Glover. Gotta keep him on the court for as many minutes as possible.

Christopher continues to look like a real talent who has taken a step from rookie yr to yr 2. He’s not a good shooter from long range, but finds other ways to score; especially attacking the basket. His defense was really good tonight.

Nix played his best game tonight; ran the floor better and shot very well. Also props to Nix for playing the best D I’ve seen him play. His play was a big part of the win and if he can put it together consistently We might have something, but I still didn’t see a guy worth an nba roster spot.

TyTy looked really good, especially in the first half. He played great defense. He made the right pass. He got to the basket. Can he shoot at a high level? Honestly that will be what makes or breaks him; everything else is there.

D-rock, wlekfjv923n, solid and 9 others like this.
  3. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Shi... Nix is driving the bus! :eek:

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

KPJ’s value is in his ability to create offense, his catch and shoot 3pt% and his size defensively. If he averages 15 and 6 with good efficiency and improved decision making sign me up please. That is a perfect compliment to Green. Anything above that is icing.

5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

You will get your wish. Tate is going to start. I’m just hoping Tari gets to play 20+ mins from the start rather than what they did to Sengun. It doesn’t matter about foul trouble he has six of them. You don’t have to sit him after 3 and never let him back in like Silas did with Sengun.

6. j@amc

j@amc Member

Yes, it's Summer League, but it's pretty easy to see glimpses of how this group is improving. The Rocket's connectivity on defense and rotations--for a bunch of 19-and-20-year olds--is striking. That might be their new calling card.

The Spurs have a hungry, young, energetic team that pounded the glass and made contested shots. There was a short window in the second quarter when the Rockets looked like they would fold. We weren't matching their intensity. But Eason, Nix, and Jabari subbed back in and went to work. They triggered that nice run and seized control of the game.

It's easy to put our guard play under the microscope, but Nix and TyTy did some things well. I hadn't seen Nix finish over bigger players through contact, but the Spurs took away the passing lanes and made him finish in traffic.

Jabari Smith seems to be a two-way guy that thrives with movement. He's the guy you want contesting shots on defense or coming off a screen to shoot like a bigger Klay Thompson. The coaches will need to draw up creative sets in which he can set screens and sprint to his shooting spots.

I can't wait to see Eason and Jalen Green on the break together.

7. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

This is SL though all our rookies still need to get use to the real NBA. We will still be a lottery team. Maybe not dead last but probably 3rd or 5th in the tankathon.

Our defense will improve but it will still take time for everyone to be on the same page. And our rooms to adjust to the NBA pace and grind. Imo we’ll be around 20-25 in defensive rating.
    By next year I can see us being in the top 10-15

After the ASB we will see a bit more improvement but let’s not forget also that the entire league just got better this off season.

I can still see SAS being ahead of us just because the have Pop as coach and he always gets the best of his players. Plus they got good players as well.
    Utah is an unknown atm. If they trade Mitchell they’ll be worse but until they trade him I would put them ahead of us.
    Detroit and Okc added more talent this year. They’ll probably be better than us but I could see them being in the lottery again. Maybe Orlando will be worse than us. Idk. Who do you realistically see being worse than us without being bias?

ArtV likes this.
  8. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Tbf KPJ was the 30th pick

wlekfjv923n likes this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Alp blocks out well too, we shouldn’t have an issue with rebounding anymore

i3artow i3aller, D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think we’ll be in the bottom 5; not sure where in the bottom 5. We are just such a young team and the coaching is questionable. All of our guys from last year will be better but we did lose our top scorer and I do think we’ll trade EG at some point. Our rooks will take some time. So it’s hard to feel confident that we’ll finish much better than last year, but that’s kind of where we want to be anyway, right? More wins, but not too many more wins.

contending for bottom 5 in no particular order:

Houston
    Orlando
    Detroit
    San Antonio
    Washington
    Dishonorable Mention: OKC

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The SL Rockets were more talented than the SL Spurs. Perhaps it would have been closer if Sochan played in the game.

Nevertheless, the most important thing is that the Rockets fought back from being 18 points down to win the game through defense.

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

not sure why I'm so optimistic, but I think we are in contention for the play-in. We may not make it, but we'll be in the running.

13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

You guys can just forget about high draft picks. This bunch are hungry and they are going to fight and win. Losers mentality go ahead and check out your Rockets membership card. Also, don't forget about the Nets. They will be doing the sucking for us.

D-rock, Easy, Plowman and 2 others like this.
  14. Victorious

Victorious Member

After overreacting fron the first two games, i was wrong. Jabari is clearly the best player in Vegas on or off the court right now

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  15. Bo6

Bo6 Member

everyone think Tate is going to lose minutes to Tari but it's actually going to be KJ Martin that loses out.

16. jogo

jogo Member

Anyone have a safe site to watch this game on replay? I don't have ESPN and the sites I've seen look sus. Any help?

17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

That move at 1:45 mark was beautiful need more of that.

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

switchable swing defense is arguably the most important thing to have defensively. we'll have that. and we also added a great defensive coach. maybe we go from last in defense to top 25? doesn't sound like much but would be a huge improvement. as the rookies get smarter defensively they'll keep improving from there.

we'll need to add a strong back line defense. I'm not sure alpy is that guy. and I love him, but we need someone who can erase mistakes. I think if we add that and some experience we're looking at top 15 in a year or two.

D-rock and raining threes like this.
  19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

once he adds 10-15lbs of muscle he'll be a good post scorer too. at his height he's the size of most centers. won't be a big dunker but he's got great touch and toughness already. if they overplay to keep him out of the paint he'll be able to counter with a turnaround jumper. defenses will have to pick their poison.

Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

I knew that Smith was a good defender and could guard multiple spots, but I didn't know he would be this good on the perimeter.

Still I don't think he is as good a defender as Barnes. Scottie has a longer reach and is stronger.

Smith can cover the perimeter like Barnes and possibly even better but he isn't as good defensively inside as Barnes.

Smith is the better shooter and Barnes is the better passer.

Two talented guys but I would take Barnes over Smith overall.

D-rock likes this.