1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man...We got unlucky with Jabari Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shakes05, Jul 9, 2022.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

MFers at least waited until the 1st couple of games of the regular season before going full throttle on sh*tting on Jalen Green and pining for Mobley…idiots doing it for Jabari after the 1st game of SL

2. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Jabari is not a project at all you really do not know basketball. Jabari has elite skills, being 6’10 how he can shoot and playing elite defense. I believe Paolo is a Superstar he is nice, but Jabari is a Star. Jabari’s elite shooting from the outside is crazy we need to feature him and need a point guard who can pass the ball to him. Paolo is a average shooter and a average defender, Jabari is a elite shooter you will see tonight. Ivey is a great player he is quick but he is a average shooter and in college he never played defense. If a defense play a zone against Ivey or Paolo their offense will be contained if you play a zone against Jabari….grab your popcorn.

3. a time to chill

I blame mainly poor coaching and guard play. Guys were out there to showcase themselves rather than run an offense and play as a team (ahem...Josh Christopher).

Drift Monkey, t4rm5la4r and ROXTXIA like this.
  4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"Feed not the troll."
    ---Yoda

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Just a pure dumbass.

6. a time to chill

We were extremely lucky to not fall out of the top 3 in the draft. I think Jabari, Paolo, and Chet will all have great careers.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Drift Monkey and conquistador#11 like this.
  8. swakid8

swakid8 Member

This is a troll post…. I wish forums had a post minimum in order to start a new thread…

Slyonebluejay and Rockets Rule like this.
  9. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Notable players on Orlando's Summer League roster: Paola Banchero
    Notable players on Rockets Summer League Roster: Jabari Smith, Josh Christopher, Ty Ty, Eason

Of course Banchero is going to feast...he is the only one on that roster that can play. In addition, there is a reason why he was picked 1st.

Jabari will get his

10. xaos

xaos Member

In my humble opinion they'll still regret not having a Ivey/Haliburton backcourt over the team they're building now with Fox/Murray/Sabonis.

That opinion predates summer league

And for what it's worth I do like Murray, just not over Ivey

11. VoR

VoR Member

Ivey is one year older and guards typically adjust to the NBA faster. I'd still take Jabari over Ivey. Jabari will likely take a good 2-3 years to round out. That's why it is important to make sure he wants to be a rocket for the first 10 years of his career.

Rockets Rule likes this.
  12. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

Man I bet KAT's summer league debut made his team feel so unlucky as well (12 points 3 rebs) while Cam Thomas being the top scorer during the 2021 SL is a future MVP and franchise player.

Summer League is not all about stats. If you watched the game closely, you'll see how Smith plays with poise rather than trying to do too much given the hype of the matchup. He let's the play come to him which is a good quality to have for a 19 year old. You can't compare him to Banchero because PB can make plays on his own. PB is definitely going to be hard to beat when it comes to ROY but we got a good one in Smith especially in the years to come.

red5rocket and Drift Monkey like this.
  13. photojoe

photojoe Member

Honestly it blows my mind that people can honestly think things like this.

It's summer league. Relax.

No rookie has ever been best player on a championship team or MVp or anything like that. It will probably be 3ish years before we really start to see who the best players are from different draft classes. This is all about developing

14. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

We have to wait until we see Jabari play with KPJ and Green because they are miles better then anything on the summer league roster

red5rocket and Rockets Rule like this.
  15. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I didn't realize that Clutchfans was populated by so many NBA front office personnel, scouts, and coaches who can predict this type of information and make money for their takes.

TheJuice likes this.
  16. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Magic Johnson

Nook likes this.
  17. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

I hate summer league takes

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Shaedon Sharp will be ready to show the league what he's got in 4 years.

VoR, xaos and don grahamleone like this.
  19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The evidence of my example here may be limited but I've been told Keegan Murray is a very good defender. Banchero scored 23 points against him. Against Jabari he had 17 points. To me this sounds like Jabari is 35% better at defense than this older and more experienced Keegan Murray. If the defense we drafted has the ability to slow a sure-thing star... perhaps we're doing pretty well with the direction of our draft, no?

Nice post CHAMPBOY. Goodbye zone defenses!

20. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Banchero is basically playing point forward for Orlando. He has the ball in his hands a lot. Although he's clearly the better overall player right now, it's way too early to say the Rockets were unlucky selecting Jabari. They were unlucky with the summer league coaching staff and players who didn't help set Jabari up for success. They need to run some plays to help get him going.

Before the draft I was one of the few who felt the Rockets should have drafted Keegan Murray. I didn't know though that Banchero was this special of a player. The Rockets wanted him and would have drafted him had he not gone first, but they were still lucky to have the number #3 pick and draft Jabari. You'll see. His defense alone will justify him being picked that high. Ivey would have been a great pick too (along with Murray) but the Rockets needed a big who could shoot and play great defense.

Rockets Rule likes this.