1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jonathan Feigen: Rockets turn attention to centers in free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 18, 2022.

1. xaos

xaos Member

I'm hopeful for Garuba cause he has some really nice defensive potential. But, he plays like that one football guy who joins the basketball team during the football off season and somehow makes the team.

I saw him gaurd Durant during the Olympics and I was excited that we got him using our late first. But since then I've been disappointed. But, he is still young and deserves more time and chances.

If I were to bet I'd bet Hartenstein or Claxton fills a backup defensive center position on our team better than Garuba could (now or in the future)

Haymitch likes this.
  2. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

I would like Garuba to get a shot but I don't think it should be banked on. That being said, I would love him, Eason, and Jabari to all develop rim protection skills. Having 3 guys who can guard the perimeter yet also switch into the post and still provide rim protection would lead to a potentially absolutely elite defense.

My target this free agency though would be Nicolas Claxton, partly because he's young and can fit the core but also throwing him an offer sheet could potentially screw the Nets, and we have an opportunity to do that we take it. We either get a solid back-up C with potential for being more, or we force the Nets further into the luxury tax.

Hartenstein would be my number two option, he's developed a lot of rim protection skills since he left and I actually think he'd uniquely fit because my man still has an issue with fouls and so doesn't need more than 15-20 minutes a night, which means it shouldn't be an issue to have him off the bench with Sengun starting and also fit in minutes to try line-ups with Garuba, Eason, or Jabari at the 5.

If we struck out on both, I'm ok with just running what we have, just give Garuba the full back-up role and see what he can do. Keep Boban and let him soak up ~10-15 mins a game too.

3. Nook

Nook Member

I really don't think the Rockets need a back up center.

Sengun is 6'9" with a 7'0" wingspan
    Smith is 6'10" with a 7'0" wingspan
    Eason is 6'8" with a 7'2" wingspan
    Garuba is 6'8" with a 7'3" wingspan

Roll with what you have.... if you really want a reserve, keep Marjanovic and his 7'10" wingspan.

4. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

I think of the FA addition as later consolidation trade filler piece more than roster needs.

pmac likes this.
  5. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Unfortunately I can't see us being near the top of destinations for young bigs, unless we significantly outpay other teams in the bidding.

- Our PG situation is rough, and most bigs would choose a team with a stud PG/playmaker (which there are plenty of in the current NBA) that can set them up for easy looks/lobs (or Js if they're a stretch big). Having KPJ at the 1 is just not good for the development of anyone sharing the floor with him. Maybe TyTy will eventually be that guy, but he's going to start the year on the bench.
    - We have too many young guys vying for PT. This is a nice problem to have if you're a fan, but not ideal if you're a player looking for a home. We may not have a true rim-protector on this roster, but with Jabari, Sengun, Eason and Garuba, that's four 1st rounders from the past two years who will be playing PF and/or C (Eason might get some SF minutes too).
    - Culture question-marks from the last two years (Harden debacle, Fertitta being an idiot, KPJ drama, C-Wood drama, Wall sitting out, KJ wanting out, blatant tanking etc.). Luckily we've cleared many/most of those out, and Tillman's been quiet (thankfully), but I don't think the perception of our franchise is super-positive around the league right now. I'm sure we can all agree we're headed in the right direction (and to be fair, not many non-Rockets fans have watched us in the past 2 years), but I could see some FAs having doubts about us that they normally wouldn't.

But maybe if we can lure a quality PG like Tyus Jones for 2 years, a C will follow.

theDude likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

I wouldn't mind staying pat, but I'd take a peak at Mo Bamba.

Garuba is still an unknown until he gets some minutes, but he's not so valuable that we can't move him or play him in the G League.

Milos likes this.
  7. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is that it would cost all of your available money to bring Jones in, so there’s nothing left to offer a center. I actually think that money would be better spent on Tyus, anyway.

Sen89 likes this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Don’t care about minutes or fit just make sure anyone you sign doesn’t become a bad contract. Claxton at 2 years plus a TO for MLEvcould work.

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I agree with Bima's tweet. The combination of other teams' cap situation and the depressed Center market may mean there are some opportunities to get a good guy on a bargain deal. The other thing is that big guys developer slower. So, it's possible to sign a guy that is just coming into his own.

I think quality guards and wings just cost more and those positions will continue to be addressed through trade and the draft. Although, I suspect that will be the rockets target when we have a ton of cap room next summer.

clos4life and dmoneybangbang like this.
  11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Garuba is not a C, he's a 3/4 who needs to improve his 3pt shot. It should be demanded of him if he wants to play on this team. Playing him at the 5 without it being a strategy for a certain situation just isn't acceptable.

robbie380 likes this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree. He is a 3/4. I have high hopes for him as he does seem to put in the work. As long as you got a bunch of tall guys it is positionless basketball on the defensive side of the ball. For instance, Green on Pg’s, KPJ can cover SG’s and SF’s. Smith, Eason, Garuba 3-5. Coaching is going to be key. We have the horses to be really special.

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I love Sengun but if Tatum magically becomes available I'll personally find him a Turkish translator that's based in Boston.

Nook, BigMaloe, clos4life and 2 others like this.
  14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

What does Tatum have to do with Sengun? Tatum would be the perfect SF for the Rockets. Sengun is going to be our Point Forward.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  15. steddinotayto

I'm reacting to the tweet that Bimathug was in the post...the one where he said maybe use Sengun in a trade package for a star player......

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Oh I see. Sorry I misunderstood. You are one of my favorite posters, because of your reasonable approach to everything.

Drift Monkey and steddinotayto like this.
  17. steddinotayto

All good and likewise.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

There are a few things that make me think we could still use another C

1. Are we ever going to join the rest of the league in utilizing length at our forward positions or are we forever small ball?

2. Those players are all 21 and under, the big positions are the backbone of the defense and it would really be nice to have a vet.

On Boban - I'd love to keep him for the locker room but he isn't a reliable backup for such a young foul-prone center like Sengun. Boban has never recorded 700 minutes in a season (8mpg over 82), he has a career average of 9mpg and 40 games played per season. He's an awesome 3rd stringer but he's not a full-season rotation player. If one of those 4 bigs you listed gets injured, Boban isn't suddenly able to play 20 mpg, we would end up moving our 6'4 SFs to PF again.

And, while Boban can teach the young guys a lot, I don't know much he could lead by example, the game is just so different for him due to his size, he's never played a modern defensive scheme.

If we could bring in a guy like Ibaka or Gorgui Dieng, who can play consistent minutes, allow us to play bigger, show the young guys the ropes on D, and ALSO stretch the floor with a reliable 3PT jumper - something Sengun/Garuba/Eason doesn't have right now, could be a very nice addition for the development of our team. Adding on to the spacing aspect, we saw how much of a difference it made for Green and KPJ, and someone posted the dramatic difference in Jabari's finishing ability when Kessler was off the floor recently which is really interesting.

For different but similar reasons, I'd also like for us to bring in a vet PG, someone like Augustin, Compazzo, or Neto. A guy who knows how to run the offense has a lot they could teach KPJ/Ty/Nix, someone who brings a baseline production that Ty or Nix have to strive to outplay, and injury and KPJ mental breakdown insurance.

We have 10 guys 22 and under, we don't have to bring in a hot head like CWood again who thinks he's the star, we don't need a franchise guy like Wall at the point again, or a Schroder who wants big minutes and is trying to recoup the millions he turned down... but some solid vets who have had successful careers and know their role would be great IMO.

#138 ThatBoyNick, Jun 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    Drift Monkey, Nook and r-fan-since-81 like this.
  19. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

we need another type of C that can help us with vertical spacing..this team need a defense at the middle and lob threat

20. anchel

anchel Member

Please, bring back Isaiah Hartenstein.

Size, motor, game fundamentals, IQ, rim protection, toughness, rolling, sporadic threes, passing, hustle, offensive rebounding, does his job boxing out at the defensive rebounding. Former houstonian and still 24 y.o.

Give him 7-8M per year and bring him back to where he should have never been kicked out.