1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most Surprising Pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Jun 23, 2022.

?

Surprise!

1. Jabari #1 prospect at #3

80.2%
  2. Eason Available at #17

6.3%
  3. Tyty at #29 + picks

13.5%
  1. Jontro

Jontro Member

bennedict mathurin at #6 shook me to my core

made me question my life decisions

jcmoon, J.R. and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Smith easy because of the expectation it would be Paolo.

Most unexpected would be TyTy at No. 29 as no idea would have that pick and the most options. Though, I would not call it surprising because it didn't have the expectation of something else.

3. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

I can understand Paolo at number one. Not sure how you take Chet over Jabari though. That was my biggest head scratcher of the night. Shoutout to OKC for doing us a solid. You do you OKC!

upload_2022-6-24_7-3-31.jpeg

jcmoon and Verbal Christ like this.
  4. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

The Magic put on the smokescreen that they were taking Jabari Smith because they wanted to lure Houston into giving up significant assets to trade up. Why did they do this? Because they knew that Jabari was the absolute perfect fit for the Rockets... It's also possible that they thought Ivey could slide into the top 3 which might enable them to trade down with Sacramento and still get their man in Paolo. Creating the smokescreen that the Magic were taking Jabari kept those options open... and I have to wonder if Houston and Sacramento expressed interest in doing this. It looks to me like they must have... otherwise Orlando would have dropped the ruse much earlier. Hats off to Stone for holding firm and getting his man Jabari without having to move up.

jcmoon likes this.
  5. YallMean

YallMean Member

Was it something about Jabari that they did t like so much that led to this? They worked him out we didn’t, so could be something they knew that we didn’t. But they don’t work out Paolo, which had to mean there was internal debate on Jabari and the decision maker made the last minute call to pick Paolo.

6. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Biggest surprise is TyTy drop to 29. I know Banchero going first is surprising. But from day 1 we all know any of the top 3 can go #1 which is why we are lucky to be in top 3. The guy is in the green room. He was projected to go mid first round. Poor Hardy.