1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Building around Jabari Smith JR and liking it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Jabari should thrive as a high level role player next to Jalen, Sengun and KPJ. If he can develop a handle he will be a franchise cornerstone. His fit magnifies the strengths of everyone else on the roster which will be great for developmental purposes.

2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Is anyone else just stunned? Maybe I spend too much time thinking about the draft but ****, I am just wandering around my house in a stupor. Not knowing how to feel. I had set up next season in 2K and was playing with Banchero and obviously leading the bandwagon on the bbs. I am just shocked.

3. TimDuncanDonaut

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

if the Rockets can find their Robert Williams type C that can hold down the paint on D, then an elite defense is definitely within reach

and you’d have a monster scorer in Green and the best shooting PF in the game

[​IMG]

5. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

So:

KPJ - Jalen - Garry Bird - Jabari - Sengun

Daishen - JayGup - Tate - Garuba

And Picks 17 and 26 go to the Gleague?

6. maj21

maj21 Member

Wanted Paolo but can’t be mad, this is a great fit.

7. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Tate would start at SF

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Damn right I'm liking it. Jabari was my first choice. I thought we had very little chance getting him.

Hope not getting picked #1 gets him going proving he is the true number one in this class.

i3artow i3aller and xaos like this.
  9. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Ewww take Bird out

10. DaneB

DaneB Member

Jalen Green was also mad to not go #1 too.

i3artow i3aller and csc177 like this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

I could see more athletic, elite shooting Al Horford…high BBIQ 2-way big that fits any team and is a winning player

12. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Another good thing is that our top picks in the last 2 years are VERSATILE. We can continue to draft BPA for the rest of this draft and next year because both guys can play with another guard, wing, or big.

i3artow i3aller and jcmoon like this.
  13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Nah matthews doesn’t need to start

don grahamleone likes this.
  14. xaos

xaos Member

Smith is an amazing hard worker and he is going to be super motivated to prove Orlando and OKC wrong

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  15. photojoe

photojoe Member

All three of the top guys have legitimate question marks about them.

Paolo - is he going to be an empty stats, offensive only player that doesn't contribute to winning?
    Chet - is he going to get pushed around, not able to hold down the middle, and struggle with injuries?
    Jabari - can he develop the ability to create his own shot?

Jabari is the best fit for our current team and his floor is likely as a still productive, solid starter. All three of them potentially could be busts, anyone in the NBA draft could be, but that seems least likely for a guy who shows the ability to hit threes and play switchable defense. Plus he is the best fit for us with Jalen Green and Alperen Sengun?

Win. Win. Win.

don grahamleone and FrontRunner like this.
  16. photojoe

photojoe Member

Not Garry Bird.
    Pick #17 and/or KMJ if he is still here

17. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Building around Smith is super easy - he would start on any NBA team and make them better - and that will be true for a long time.

I have talked myself into Paolo, since I think he has the best chance to turn into a star, but Jabari easily has the highest floor and like I said you never have to worry about fit with him.

All he needs to add to his game is handles and the ability to finish through traffic. Oh and I hope he can set some good screens…

don grahamleone likes this.
  18. conquistador#11

Love it. Chet and Jab were my faves but the Italian, Paolo, started to grow on me . I think Jab will improve his handles by the time he is 22. Don't really need the pf to be a creator by channeling his inner Harlem globetrotter. We have, Sengun, Kpj and Green for that. Create through other ways like using the screens ala Curry and cut for the easy dunks

i3artow i3aller and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. DaneB

DaneB Member

No. Our starting lineup should be:

1. KPJ
    2. Jalen Green
    3. Kenyon Martin Jr.
    4. Jabari Smith Jr.
    5. Alperen Sengun

20. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Of the top 3 I had Jabari being the most likely to be a bust. At worst he's a Robert Horry clone which isn't bad. Ready to see what the kid can do. Woj got me excited.

don grahamleone and CriscoKidd like this.