1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood traded to Dallas for the #26 pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dockerland, Jun 15, 2022.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

how many are flippable? Bojan worth a 2 or improve a package. Brown, nah. Burke, yes. Criss not likely.

Corrosion likes this.
  2. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn’t want Sotto, he seems like a less athletic version of Zhou Qi with a better attitude. And he’d probably be available late in the 2nd round anyway so if the Rockets really want him there are ways that don’t involve the 26th pick.

And I am not excited to see a bunch of his fans come in and be crazy

3. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

That makes one of you ;)

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

What if Dallas was Wood's preferred destination and Stone did him a solid? Luka and Wood will make a pretty good two man attack. Wood will get plenty of looks and touches from Lukas gravity alone. Dallas is saying 'we'll just score 150 a night and fk defense" so I have my doubts regarding post season construct, but they should win a bunch of regular season games.

Stone building a reputation of being a GM that will work with you during the separation process is great. It should help him lure quality talent to the Rockets. This deal had to be done if only for the development of the players involved in the rebuild. You didnt need to "win" the trade in talent exchange.

Since75 and j@amc like this.
  5. mightybosstone

Wood is also seven years older. And whether you think Wood is better or not, Sengun unquestionably has more value right now than Wood does. So in terms of how much net value the Rockets got between acquiring and then trading Wood, I'd definitely say it's a net positive.

Drift Monkey, JayGoogle and theDude like this.
  6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

The more you sit on Wood the less he will bring in considering his contract length.

We tried so hard all of last season before the trade deadline to deal him for more than 1 pick and other GM's laughed in Stone's face. I don't think Wood has a good reputation around the league and everyone sees through the boxscore stats.

7. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think they care whether the players are flippable (all will likely be cut). But a first round pick is. I expect it is not used by us this year, but instead transferred to another team for a future first that can then be used in a deal. That hodgepodge of trash was just to make salaries work while not committing to any additional years.

StrawberryJamm likes this.
  8. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

It’s wild to me how many people think Wood should’ve fetched more in a trade. To the people that do, did you watch the games or just wake up in the mornings and check the box score?

Wood was constantly getting bullied, showing little effort on the defensive end, and made several comments about not getting the ball enough.

Im glad that he’s away from Jalen and won’t be around our #3 pick. I had a feeling that the extension talks were just smoke and mirrors and I’m glad I was right. CWood is Dallas’ problem now. I seriously hope that Dallas signs him to a lucrative extension for multiple years and it handicaps them for half a decade.

Stone- go get me Banchero and Mark Williams and let’s ride

9. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Locker room cancer does have a cure then

10. anchel

anchel Member

I think it's a bad move by Stone because I can't see negotiation on our part. This is like Dallas calling Stone and telling:

- "hey Rafa, we offer you our 26th pick and 4 players that are not going to play for Christian Wood, is that ok?"
    - OK!!

For instance, I see the Spurs 20th pick and wonder if it wasn't really obtainable.... I just feel like Stone could have done a better job here...

11. Rockets4Life13

I will miss Wood for one reason only.

Once I realized he's probably the worst big man defender in the league, i put money on opposing centers getting high points and won quite a bit of money doing so.

12. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It probably would have been if we were willing to take back Zach Collins and Joshua Primo. Those higher picks will not just be given away by teams. They want you to take their clutter along with it.

13. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

You will love Boban (live in Dallas)

14. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

15. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Hahahaha! Stuff like this is what makes CF so great!

Shark44 likes this.
  16. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I guess it depends on your definition of "better". Bottom line is that Wood didn't affect winning. Last year, the Rockets offense was slightly better with Wood off the floor than when he was on the floor. Likewise, our defense was slightly better with Wood off the floor than with him on the floor.

If he's not making the team better then he's really not helping regardless of his stats. There's a whole slew of guys in this draft that would probably contribute more to winning than Wood.

Factor in that he's on an expiring deal and you'll have to pay him much more to retain him after this year. So, did he really fit into the Rockets future plans?

Also, maybe we are trying to move up from 17 and we're looking to trade with a rebuilding team who values a draft pick over a one year Christian Wood rental.

Everyone knew that we'd likely move Wood this offseason. If his real value was so much higher, don't you think that some team would have offerered a better deal? My guess is that this was the best offer without having to take back bad longer term contracts.

17. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

Wood is not the right kind of good for this team moving forward. While he can score and rebound, he’s not who you want as your number 1 or 2 option. It’s important that we understand this. I personally think the 26th pick is being undervalued. If we can take a flyer on a guy like Hardy, PBJ, etc. or trade up… Good riddance Cwood.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  18. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Sengun is only 19 years old...

Drift Monkey and Htown Legend like this.
  19. Xopher

Xopher Member

Stone is turrible! Stone didn't take no other phone calls or talk to any other teams about DaGoat CWood! Could have had 2 firsts and gotten back an All-Star too! Stone coulda done better! I have absolutely no idea who was offering better, but Stone took the worst deal offered.

This is what some of the people on this board sound like.

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

kind of an added bonus