1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV Disney+] Star Wars: Obi-wan Kenobi

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, Mar 29, 2021.

1. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

This episode is closer to what I thought the series would be like.

Is anyone else finding it harder and harder to accept Vader's redemption story from the original trilogy? I know he ended up killing the Emperor (kind of), but still, he did a lot of ****ed up sh*t

Jontro and B-Bob like this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Wouldn't work on Disney+, but I would love a series that just follows Vader during Vader's prime wrecking the remaining jedi.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Same. Like the more stories they add to the lore regarding Vader, the more I'm just like "meh" to the whole "my heart grew three times bigger" story by the end of Return of the Jedi.

Rocket River likes this.
  4. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

That was great.

5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Episode 5 was like a whole different series. Even the Third sister brought some acting into it.

Jontro likes this.
  6. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

This episode is a noticeably better than the previous four, still flawed but much more focused.....

BigM and Buck Turgidson like this.
  7. PhiSlammaJamma

Much better. They handled Reva well. But they will need to explain how.

8. Caesar

Caesar Member

Much better episode, still with tons of flaws but the best episode. Andrew Stanton co-wrote this episode so that's where you see the improvements over Joby Harold(who has never even seen the prequels) writing the first 4 episodes alone. I think Stanton also credited for the final episode too so hopefully he corrected all the terrible writing Joby Harold did.

The production value feels really low quality for SW. The cgi, the sets, the effort looks minimal. Overall just so lazy feeling. I'm so used to people who love SW that make SW and put incredible amounts of love and labor into even the tiniest details. Coruscant was like 2 buildings. No deepfake for Hayden and it's not expensive to do and it looks great when you do it the same actor who looks relatively similar vs deaging an old man into his early 20s.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  9. Caesar

Caesar Member

...and the music sucks so much. It does not feel right seeing these legacy characters without the classic scores or even an attempt at similar but modern scores like Fallen Order and almost all SW games have done to mimic a John Williams like sound in their own way. Mando, Boba can experiment, but Obi-Wan and Vader need classic orchestral music...i mean. Star Wars is a space opera after all.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

That was the dumbest plan . . .. . .

Rocket River

tinman and Jontro like this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They should’ve made Vader shout Nooooooo!

I think the writers came from watching dumb episodic shows from the 80s where endings had unbelievable resolutions and the audience had no other choice but to keep watching

That’s foul. I wonder why execs do that when there are scores of good writers who are also fans of the series. I mean boba wasn’t a great piece of art but you could tell the amount of effort they tried to put into it.

Similarly Halo wasn’t a great end season watch because of how they put everything people loved in the series into a meat grinder then added notes from studio execs that supposedly made the series more in line with general audiences…that never really materialized.

Instead you get unbelievable characters and lobotomies for everyone not worth mentioning to advance a story they tease in the first episodes but have nothing left when that mystery is gone.

#211 Invisible Fan, Jun 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
    Caesar likes this.
  12. Caesar

Caesar Member

I actually believe he's never watched anything SW "in depth." That's a Kathleen Kennedy hire. The writer of King Arthur Legend of the Sword and Army of the Dead.
    Reva, Leia, Tala and Kumail's characters were all thrown in last second to a revised script by this guy who has never watched SW because Kathleen Kennedy didn't want too much anakin and darth vader, but the theme with her is shoving female empowerment and inclusivity by means of devaluing classic male characters. Everyone keeps blaming "Disney" as a whole when it really comes down to Kathleen Kennedy forcing us to be woke at the story and continuities sake.
    No worries. Dave Filloni will give us Hayden's Anakin flashbacks from the Clone Wars in the Ashoka series and a purer and closer to George Lucas approved vision. Best bet is to ignore anything Kathleen Kennedy takes a major role in and follow only what Filloni and Favreau make as Kathleen can only do so much harm as a producer for their series. Unsure what her role will be with Kevin Feige(movie?), Jon Watts(Jude Law series), Taika's(movie) projects other than producing, but i imagine all 3 of those names are big enough to get full control over their own projects.

ROXRAN, Entropy, Yung-T and 2 others like this.
  13. Caesar

Caesar Member

Oh and as far as Boba, i think the biggest issue for Favreau was writing around Temuera Morrison being fat and old. Otherwise you wouldn't have seen Fennec basically be the bad ass he was supposed to be and unfortunately as is the case with Kathleen's ideas-Boba had to look incompetent for Fennec to get a boost in likability. The street punks were awful. Loved the Tusken Raiders story. There's tons i still really like about it, it just didn't live up to the hype or Mando series and ultimately crushed a lot of peoples idea of Boba being the most feared bounty hunter in the galaxy even if he was trying to change and be a Daimyo and leave killing behind. The Mando episode + Luke and Grogu was amazing. I'll take that quality series over anything Kathleen gets her hands on.

Yung-T and Invisible Fan like this.
  14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yo Darth not killing the same person twice for failure is draymond not fouling someone in the paint

Xerobull, Jontro and Caesar like this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

Everyone is dumb in this series except for kid princess

Jontro and Caesar like this.
  16. PhiSlammaJamma

There are two things in my mind.

The first is that Vader has learned how to save people from dying. Or...
    The second is that Disney might be using Reva to retcon Vader killing younglings. As in, he just stunned them.

Xerobull and Jontro like this.
  17. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

i stopped watching

Jontro likes this.
  18. Jontro

Jontro Member

hope they kill off blek sister and focus more on obi. kill baby leia too if they can. obi needs to get his mojo back and start force massacre some troopers.

tinman likes this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

Breh
    She’s not going to die , the empire ain’t killing her on Juneteenth
    That’s wrong

Caesar and Jontro like this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That bad?

I guess the play is to watch the last ep, then move on?

No one remembers the details of these shows anyways.