1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaedon Sharpe declares for the NBA draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by my time to shine, Apr 21, 2022.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Not upset. Just trying to understand why my critic of others didn't warrant the same response.

I never said Stone doesn't check these guys out properly. Suggs and Mobley didn't give us a workout and didn't get drafted by us.

For whatever reason

2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Nothing Sharpe did in that workout is more impressive than this, and Murray did it against, you know…defenders.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At 5, I’d be tempted to take AJ Griffin over Sharpe.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I know you never said Stone doesn't check these guys out properly, Apache. I love your passion and knowledge about the game.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Likewise, I wish to be enlightened. Educate me on what I'm missing? My mind is a sponge and open, not closed minded. Just nothing about Sharpe says, I'm special....buy me in top 10.

Bimathug was the first I saw post on Keegan Murray. I was not interested; but once I started
    observing Keegan closely....I have to say nice find
    Thug.

See, not close minded to all things basketball.

saleem likes this.
  6. saleem

I'm not anything special at all . I know you're open to ideas and we discuss so many things. I value your judgment and that of so, so many other posters who are far more knowledgeable and experienced than me. I go for the eye test a bit more than stats. If a player has more skills and athleticism than I get the impression that he might have more upside than a more projectable player. That's why I prefer Mathurin to Murray. I do acknowledge that Murray is definitely a better passer than him and he's more experienced too. I know I make mistakes because of this reasoning. Sharpe looks somewhat exciting because of his jumper, athleticism and to some extent because of his ball handling in isolation. He's got a long way to go. That's why I have Mathurin ahead of Murray at 5.

Nook, Verbal Christ and ApacheWarrior like this.
  7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I can't remember a workout video of any guard/wing where they looked terrible. These are elite prospects, they're all going to look fantastic during drills.

roslolian and red5rocket like this.
  8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

There is a phrase often used: "if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is."

Beware of fools gold or bright shiny objects that glitter or sparkle. Many a fish have been caught
    by such means. Monkeys can be trapped that way as well.

People would introduce an unproven commodity
    with Jalen Green, Sengun, JC, Tate, Kenyon, Porter, Garuba when there are greater track records of Jabari, Chet, Banchero, Ivey, Mathurin, Murray?

Risky!

Rockets have endured Royce White. A guy with a track record of play that told the Rockets he didn't mind flying in workouts/Interviews pre draft.

Leon Smith drafted by Spurs in 1999 out of highschool for the Mavs. Went crazy almost immediately.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Smith_(basketball)

I'm just a guy putting my 2 cents in on a national forum. My personal recommendation for my favorite and only team that I cheer for. Recommendation on chemistry and cohesiveness of it's players and coaches as I view it.

If Stone drafts him and he turns out great then I support the move. It Stone drafts him and the
    guy has trouble getting off his shot at the NBA level or pouts or goes crazy......then I say, I told you so!! You shouldn't have chanced it.

But who am I?

"With my crown came nothing." [Metallica]

#328 ApacheWarrior, May 17, 2022
    Last edited: May 17, 2022
    roslolian and saleem like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. saleem

Shooting guard measurements. The same height as Jalen Green.

AroundTheWorld and Caesar like this.
  11. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Hmm...I'm curious why you would say that.

I've seen more footage of Murray than any other prospect, and while he does move and take care of the ball well for a big, I cannot recall a single time when he made a next level read. His passing is solid but very matter of fact, like Shane Battier.

Mathurin isn't a prolific passer either, but I do remember some plays that made my eyes widen a bit.

12. Caesar

Caesar Member

Disappointed. Thought he'd be 6'6 barefoot but 6'5 IN shoes? Damn.

13. saleem

Murray isn't a PG type of passer. He makes a good entry pass. Safe stuff. Mathurin seems to be a bit loose at making them imo.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So Sharpe is really 6'4 right?

roslolian, Caesar and ThatBoyNick like this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yep, tired of these assholes listing their height 2 inches taller for no reason

roslolian, whag00 and Verbal Christ like this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Nook and whag00 like this.
  17. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Mathurin does throw riskier passes...but he's good at them. His assist to turnover ratio of 1.39 is still higher than Murray's 1.36.

The videos below feature every assist for each player from this past season. Mathurin has 5 beautiful assists in less than a minute from where I timestamped the video, all in the same game. By contrast, Murray's entire catalogue is just him making the most obvious pass available...which is fine, but it certainly doesn't make him a better passer than Mathurin.

saleem likes this.
  18. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

Hi, I'm jnuge90 and I just can't approve this message.

saleem likes this.
  19. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

Paul George??? This guy is crazy good, what does he not have in his bag?

20. J.R.

J.R. Member