1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

~{ James Harden's Philadelphia 76ers }~

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ThatBoyNick, Feb 10, 2022.

1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Yeah, tell that to Donald Sterling.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

The little good will he had left is all gone, ****ed over every team, numerous costars and so on.

i don’t know if Darryl enabled this toxic behavior or if this is who he was

Slyonebluejay likes this.
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I like y'all want to internet throwdown about random comments about a random NBA team. Keep it pure, bro!

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yes the process is the problem, thats why they ve been penalized by silver steppin in...the proces is literally against the rules ie its cheating...anti-basketball

they had jrue the champion

should have learn how to draft and draft yanis, devin booker etc learn to develop their good prospects, trade for middleton and they would have succeeded just like Milwaukee did

but they took the easy road and it turns out it backfired...

you cant say a thief failed because of the police, BUT HIS PROCES WAS BASICALLY SOUND....if the police didnt caught him he would have made it...

BUSTED he got in the process

5. B-Bob

As you know, I don't agree with the amount of energy and verve you bring to your anti-tanking takes; I think a little tanking can make a ton of sense.

But in this case, I agree with some of your point. They tanked and tanked, got Joel, who is really amazing, though often injured, and they got Simmons, who is... Ben Simmons. I mean, you're always rolling the dice.

@roslolian is correct though that the process was interrupted in a significant way, but they were just absolutely f*ed with Ben Simmons. Just bad luck at some level, no getting around it.

6. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

Morey is in an interesting spot.”Philly needs a full year to unlock James potential”.

That would indicate to me a “prove it” season. If I was Philly ownership I’d tell Daryl no new deal for James until after 2023 playoffs!.

Then we will see if James is serious about and opt in or just the money. Strippers ain’t cheap!

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I know I may sound like a broken record. I've been saying this for a long time. Character and intelligence are extremely underrated, even for professional scouts. A lot of the busts are busts not because they lack physical talent, but because of what's inside--work ethics, mental toughness, self-awareness, teachability, dedication, etc.

The corporate world already knew a long time ago that EQ was more important than IQ for success in people they employed. I wonder why sport teams don't do more to evaluate players' mental/emotional aspects.

B-Bob, JumpMan and hakeem94 like this.
  8. Juxtaposed Jolt

hakeem94 just doesn't see the big picture. Tanking isn't losing to get a top pick, as if it was in a vacuum. Tanking allows the highest chance for you to pick before everyone else.

Philly's tanking process netted them Okafor, Embiid, Simmons and Fultz.

Instead of Okafor, they could have had Porzingis or Booker.
    Instead of Simmons, they could have had Ingram, Brown, Jamal Murray or Dejounte Murray.
    Instead of Fultz, they could have had Tatum, Fox or Mitchell.

Maybe I'm wrong and have gotten some details wrong, but if Philly had foresight and kept their tanking ways up until '17/'18, their starting lineup could very well be:

Embiid / Ingram / Tatum / whoever / Maxey. That team would rule the East.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. Juxtaposed Jolt

They need to get better shooters around Harden and Embiid. Thybulle ain't it. Green is probably done done. Harris and Maxey's strengths aren't catch-and-shoot.

Someone like a Malik Monk would be a solid FA signing, I think.

jdiggidy likes this.
  10. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Harden* and embiid?

the guy that had the ball in his hands all game, walked back every play and shot twice in a half in an elimination game?

i don’t think it’s clicking for you, he already had one of the worst locker room /cancerous reputations around. The little playmaming/skill etc he had left was just overshadowed by the former…he’s not in any teams plans as a cornerstone long term option. These phantom games are a consistent finding for him, Darryl may have a hard on for him but even he’s seeing it rn

11. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Exactly, the only people that discount it are the 100% analytics crowd on here . One poster (actually several on here) kept saying it didn’t matter along with effort, personality and coaching.

when I heard about Giannis sending all his money to his family his rookie year, running to practice because he didn’t have Uber money his dedication and character became apparent. It was clear he was gonna claw his way into a top 2 player. I even said it in one of the threads .

Easy likes this.
  12. B-Bob

I think judging the EQ of 18-20 year olds is naturally hard, especially when social development gets skewed by bball obsessive practice and attention. Kids are still wiring (actually pruning) neurons until their mid-20s.

blahblehblah, HP3 and Easy like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

this is the same reason why its not smart to think they are set in stone basketball wise
    top ten at 18 years and top ten at 30 years may be completely different

B-Bob likes this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Point taken. But there are signs and red flags. The draft still involves a lot of luck. But they should do more homework before they invest millions of dollars on these players.

And this is not just about the draft. It's the same with players you sign and trade for.

B-Bob likes this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

small sample size and confirmation bias warning... i bet you any money you can find similar stories about other players not nearly successful...

HP3 likes this.
  17. B-Bob

Yeah, and I wasn't trying to undercut your point at all; I agree with you. Since I've worked with a lot of college-aged people, I'm just sympathetic to the scouts. Humans are full of late emotional bloomers and also people who run into unexpected emotional and mental troubles at, like, 23. Especially in these weird times of ours! Maybe the signs are there for a Kyrie Irving, and sometimes maybe they really aren't.

I wonder if the teams actually do a ton (of largely ineffective) work on this front but they can't say much about it b/c it could get really controversial in the details. :confused:

Easy and HP3 like this.
  18. B-Bob

I mean, I know I'm biased here, but this thread got a lot more interesting when we quit talking about J* H*. :D

blahblehblah, hakeem94, Easy and 2 others like this.
  19. SunsRocketsfan

Lol at all those people saying James Frauden is better than Curry and Doncic. Not even close. Dudes a loser and always had been.

20. HP3

HP3 Member

Its because no one wants to have an honest conversation about him. There are just constant emotional babies in here that want to trash him all the time.

Juxtaposed Jolt likes this.