1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Star Trek Shows on Paramount Plus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, May 9, 2022.

1. VanityHalfBlack

This is the first time I'm watching a Star Trek show since Next generation. It just came out called Star Trek: Strange New Worlds and it's pretty good. I haven't seen the other countless star Trek shows so I'm not sure if it's as good as the other newer ones. What do you guys think?

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

ST Discovery and ST Picard primarily focus on one character while ST SNW focuses on the entire crew, it seems.

I'm no Trekkie and stopped Discovery right after its first season, and have barely watched Picard, but I might tune in for SNW.

VanityHalfBlack and Blatz like this.
  3. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I've watched all of Discovery and Picard thus far. Discovery is ok, the main actress just isn't strong enough to be the lead. Picard I've really enjoyed even if it hasn't quite delivered on it's promise thus far, hoping that changes next season....

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm not a fan of Discovery and Picard, so I'm going to binge watch the new series and reserve judgement then. I think initial reviews for it are decent though.

Discovery had some good points early season with Pike and Georgeau, but most are forgettable nothing burgers to much better TV out there.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Discovery is cool. I stopped watching after the androgenous ghost and wife and the two husbands took over the show
    I'm not one to scream SJW and AGENDA but every episode with them felt like a sh!tty Wesley Crusher episode
    I just ended up tapping out

I like 1 season of Picard but never got to the second one

Below Decks was fun

Have not seen the new one

Rocket River

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Liked, but not loved Picard's first 2 seasons.
    Loved Discovery's first 3 seasons.

Going to probably wait until after Strange New Worlds' first season to find a deal on Paramount+ and binge-watch all the most recent seasons of each at once.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

never seen a single Star Trek entity in my life and wouldn’t even know where to start

feel like this is 1 of those things that’s been around for so long, there’s no point in even trying because there’s too much to watch

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I detested Picard's first season. I've watched every Star Trek to date and nothing comes close to my hatred for the first season of Picard. I hated the direction they went with the federation itself, seven of nine, and Picard himself.

Unlike Picard, I didn't care about any of the characters, so the mediocrity of Discovery didn't bother me as much, but I sure as hell didn't like it very much.

The new Beavis and Butthead movie drops in July, so I might give the new show a look when I sign up for that month. It sounds like a proper Star Trek series.

#8 sealclubber1016, May 9, 2022
    Last edited: May 9, 2022
  9. clos4life

clos4life Member

I'll go against the grain here and say I think Discovery is the best Star Trek in existence. I thought Picard was okay and interesting if you've watched TNG, although not my favorite.

I think all new ST modern shows seem to push for certain agendas, but once you get past that I enjoyed the stories.

I'll also state I'm in the minority opinion so if you are old school regarding Star Trek you might hate the new shows and might be better off just rewatching the old shows.

10. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

If you’ve never seen DS9 you should it’s right behind TNG for me.

Agreed on the points made about Discovery. I tapped out the beginning of S3
    Haven’t watched PIcard yet but that is next.

VanityHalfBlack and GRENDEL like this.
  11. GRENDEL

Thankfully that storyline line in Discovery only lasted one season, they reined it in a lot this past season...

Below Decks is great fun and filled with Easter Eggs for long time Trek nerds......

VanityHalfBlack and clos4life like this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah, it took a lot of goodwill to swallow what they did in the first season.

The second season was worse off. They didn't even bother exploring the big anti-climactic reveal in the 1st season and pretended it didn't exist. It's just a plot point for a surprise, not a character/series evolution.

Hey, let's just magic erase Q's death by turning him into an android too. No one will know the difference, not even Q himself!

derr herr

Each season is one mediocre 10 hr episode with random sci fi thrown in to fool viewers who don't know any better.

#12 Invisible Fan, May 10, 2022
    Last edited: May 10, 2022
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This is coming from someone who waited with baited breath for every new Star Trek episode during those classic 3 seasons that began in September of 1966. I loved it. Sure, it's "dated" today, so I guess maybe you had to be there to really appreciate just how revolutionary it was. Water for drought stricken science fiction fans searching on their tube TV for something to watch besides the occasional Twilight Zone episode that hit the spot.

Anyway, really got off to Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. It's the nearest to the original, in my opinion, of all the sequels of one form or another that have come down the Pike. Yes, that's just based on the pilot, and I have criticisms I'll save for another time, but I have high hopes for the remainder of the season. I think it holds a lot of promise. More than Picard (ouch!) and Discovery, in my opinion. I'm doing a free trial, but I'll keep watching until this season ends. New episode every Thursday.

A bit of trivia. The gentleman who plays Spock (and he's truly excellent) is the grandson of the late Gregory Peck, who was a fantastic actor.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Does seem to be a bit of a line in the sand between old trek fans and the new shows. While I do think Star Trek could use more serialized material than the older series, these new series feel like mediocre dramas over a star trek backdrop. They just didn't click with me at all.

DS9 was extremely serialized, and I loved it. Even as a mostly stationary series it still felt like we were exploring alien cultures in most episodes.

I guess they figure trekkies are gonna tune in no matter what, even if they complain the entire time.

16. VanityHalfBlack

Yeah that guy nails it as Spock.Awesome trivia

Deckard likes this.
  17. VanityHalfBlack

Is Voyager any good? I got that queued up along with DS9.

18. GRENDEL

I didn't love it when I watched it as it aired originally. Rewatched the series again many years later and I appreciated it more. That being said the first few season are a bit of bear to get through, once they replace Kess with Seven of Nine the show really finds its footing.

Its not as good or as consistent as DS9 but there are some strong episodes and characters in series.....

Deckard and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I mean this completely seriously, watch the first 2 episodes of the series, then skip to the next to last episode of season 3 and go from there. Most of the stuff after that is pretty damn good, but the first 3 seasons are a major slog and there's virtually nothing you need to know from the missing episodes. Although if you dig the show, you can go back an watch the missing episodes at your leisure, a few of them are pretty good.

Honestly DS9 is in a similar situation. The first 2 seasons are pretty meh, but it starts heating up. I actually watched both shows back in the olden days as they aired, but I didn't jump in until they were in their 3rd and 4th seasons respectively. Wasn't until a few years later that I even got to watch the earlier seasons, but never felt like I missed anything as I was watching them live.

VanityHalfBlack, GRENDEL and Deckard like this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

@GRENDEL and @sealclubber1016 make excellent points, especially about Voyager, in my opinion. As both point out, after several seasons (!) you could say the show found it's footing (or the production's scriptwriters and some cast tinkering), especially adding Jeri Ryan as "former Borg" Seven of Nine at the beginning of season 4, a major plus, but that's a heck of a lot of episodes Trek fans have to slog through to get there.

I think the idea of just skipping a couple of entire seasons and almost all of season 3, after the first couple of episodes (so you can understand the basis for everything that follows) is a good one, as crazy as that might sound.

Like any new show in any genre, DS9 took a little bit to get in a groove, a bit rocky, but not remotely as long as Voyager. More similar to how long TNG took to settle in, which is likely the "gold standard" of Trek sequels. I think the casting and the scripts of DS9 were better to begin with, which clearly showed by the end of season one, in my opinion.

GRENDEL likes this.