1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CNN] FDA is ‘working around the clock’ to address baby formula shortage, Psaki says

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, May 9, 2022.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/09/politics/fda-baby-formula-shortage/index.html

FDA is ‘working around the clock’ to address baby formula shortage, Psaki says
    By Allie Malloy, CNN
    Published 4:38 PM EDT, Mon May 9, 2022

CNN —
    White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Monday that the US Food and Drug Administration is “working around the clock” to address the baby formula shortage, as manufacturers say they’re producing at full capacity and making as much formula as they can – but it’s still not enough to meet current demand.

“The FDA issued a recall to make sure that they’re meeting their obligation to protect the health of Americans – including babies who, of course, were receiving or taking this formula – and ensure safe products are available. That’s their job,” Psaki said.

“Ensuring the availability is also a priority for the FDA and they’re working around the clock to address any possible shortage,” she added.

Psaki said the FDA is taking “a number of steps” to address the issue, including working with major infant formula manufacturers to ensure their increasing production and working with the industry to optimize supply lines, product sizes and prioritizing product lines that are of greatest need.

“The FDA, it is not just their responsibility in their view to ensure that we’re meeting our obligations to protect Americans, it is also their obligation to take steps to make sure supply can be met when they take these steps,” Psaki said.

Psaki also said she didn’t believe there was national stockpile of baby formula when asked.

For months, stores nationwide have been struggling to stock enough baby formula. Manufacturers say they’re producing at full capacity and making as much formula as they can, but it’s still not enough to meet current demand.

The out-of-stock rate for baby formula hovered between 2% and 8% in the first half of 2021, but began rising sharply last July. Between November 2021 and early April 2022, the out-of-stock rate jumped to 31%, data from Datasemblyshowed.

That rate increased another 9 percentage points in just three weeks in April, and now stands at 40%, the statistics show. In six states – Iowa, South Dakota, North Dakota, Missouri, Texas and Tennessee – more than half of baby formula was completely sold out during the week starting April 24, Datasembly said.

The shortage has been exacerbated by the FDA’s shutdown of an Abbott Nutrition facility in Sturgis, Michigan. Abbott is a major producer of baby formula.

In February, the FDA recalled three brands of powdered baby formulas made by the company due to potential bacterial infections, including Salmonella. The agency advised parents not to buy or use certain batches of Similac, Alimentum and EleCare powdered infant formulas, all Abbott brands.

Squirtle likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Woke lunatics are probably threatening Gerber like they threatened the owner of the timberwolves

the food supply people are under threat by crazy peta people

3. Nook

Nook Member

Hmm… with abortion out the window there will be a lot of unwarranted infants so I guess the FDA is trying to ramp up production when they can.

4. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Ignorance is bliss...

[​IMG]

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I've noticed this for several months now. At first it wasn't a big deal for us, because the kind we got was still in stock. But now the kind we use is hard to find; in fact, tonight, after the kids have all gone down, I'll drive 30 minutes to a Walgreens that has the only Enfamil Enspire formula I can find around here.

Hopefully this gets addressed. Baby formula isn't something a baby can do without. I need it for 3 more months (the boy turned 9 months today!).

Edit

Update:

Of the 3 Walgreens that showed they had it in stock, none did. Same for the Kroger's that said it had it in stock. So, I don't know. **** sucks.

#5 Haymitch, May 9, 2022
    Last edited: May 10, 2022
    jiggyfly, desihooper, ROCKSS and 6 others like this.
  6. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

*******!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Can confirm this is a thing. I had to drive to 4 Targets to scoop up whatever I could find of the newest model of Similac for my newborn. I was at Target yesterday and probably 80% of the formula shelf was still empty. There's definitely SOME formula available so babies won't be starving (yet) but it's slim pickings in terms of brands/sub-varieties.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Came here to post that. I didn't expect a debatable topic. @Os Trigonum has
    to be commended for not trying to make it debatable

#8 pgabriel, May 9, 2022
    Nook likes this.
  9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Is baby formula even still legal in Texas? I thought they were transitioning to a breast milk only state.

jiggyfly, whag00, AleksandarN and 6 others like this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Woke people caused this
    They hate babies
    And they can’t do math

So they hate baby formula
    @Os Trigonum

#10 tinman, May 9, 2022
  11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[
    LOL

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If only dum dum biden spent more handouts to expand the pipelines and develop domestic oil fields, baby formula wouldn't be inflated through the roof.

What an American travesty.

jiggyfly and Andre0087 like this.
  13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I hope your wife doesn't see you giving your plugs information

You will be going down like the kids, in bed alone

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Too bad Trump cut funding to the FDA. They could probably work faster with more resources.

jiggyfly, mdrowe00 and Andre0087 like this.
  16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Had to try 2 walmarts and 2 targets for my kid's formula. I'm about to go to the boonies and snatch some later.

17. SuraGotMadHops

Let's Go Brandon!!!

Salvy likes this.
  18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It's Biden's fault that one of the problems contributing to this is the recall of formula? In particular Similac, Alimentum and EleCare?

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Try insurancecoveredbabyformula.com if your baby has an allergy.
    They have been delivering formula to us every month very cheaply.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Did "Brandon" cause the recall at Abbott that killed two infants?

BTW I ended up buying 6 boxes of the similac I needed from 3 different stores. I should be good for the next couple months.

FranchiseBlade likes this.