1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shams - Philly offered Simmons/Thybulle + draft compensation. Did we make the right deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 13, 2021.

?

Which package would you have prefered?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Nets package

177 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Phillys package

174 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. Reeko

Reeko Member

KD, Kyrie, and Simmons is such a horrible mix

not one leader among them…1 is mentally damaged, the other is a weird pseudo-intellectual with no self awareness whatsoever, and KD is the most sensitive player ever…we hadn’t even gone to the 1st commercial break after the sweep before KD was on his phone scrolling through Twitter looking for somebody to go at

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Because some folks were of the opinion that somehow things would be different on the Rockets and that he is the right team away from being a generational talent.

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Anyone wanting Simmons at this point isn’t paying attention.

J Sizzle and YOLO like this.
  4. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

bUt We CaN fLiP hIm!

I don't know why we should even entertain the idea of trading for Simmons. Why improve their team and simultaneously hurt ours. Theres's plenty of disgruntled stars (Mitchell, Ayton, Kat, etc) the Rockets could aim for without getting someone as toxic and damaged as Simmons.

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Simmons is starting to remind me of a pitcher who has lost the strike zone. Will he ever recover the edge necessary to play professional sports again?

6. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah.... and with Simmons the question is does he really want to put in the work to find out if he can find the strike zone again. He has been coddled his entire life, he isn't prepared for this type of adversity.

7. my time to shine

And that’s exactly why we have Jalen green

Verbal Christ likes this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Crazy to hear the self inflicted obstacles he's putting out there. "mental block for him to play is creating stress as a trigger point for his back issues" Big Yikes.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Lets be real.....

Kyrie is a ******* clown..... Simmons is a p***y and KD is old and salty.

10. Nook

Nook Member

It sounds like he just doesn't want to confront adversity so he will do anything and everything to avoid it.... including putting up additional road blocks. He is an adult, but the way he was raised and handled has a part in this too..... he has never been challenged or humbled. He was the golden child and everything he did was excused. People do not realize how toxic his year in college was. He came into the season short of breath and out of shape as an 19 year old. He missed the majority of practices and he did not attend his classes..... his team didn't even make the tournament and he still went #1 because of his incredible physical gifts.... he half assed it and did what he wanted in the NBA and still got the max.

11. StrawberryJamm

Only use for Ben Simmons is talking to him, getting his opinions on things and taking that red flag data into your interview process.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Ben Simmons is channeling some Royce White right now thats for sure. I'll take the bratty mental stuff that KPJ brings with him vs this cringe inducing crap Simmons is pulling.

GotGame15 likes this.
  13. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

It would be hilarious if we traded for Simmons for pennies on the dollar. Sure, Simmons for Wood, Gordon, and #17. Why not.

treyk3 likes this.
  14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He was literally the main piece in a James Harden trade 2 months ago. I don't understand the trepidation from 95% of posters and 99% of twitter. It's a three year contract. If he sucks it was a bad gamble but the Rockets will still have 5 promising sophomores including a future superstar and a top 5 rookie. If he is good again, the Rockets can either build with him as one of the guys or trade him for a haul in a year.

There is nothing to indicate that he poisons the well per se. The 76ers were begging for him to come back, he just decided it wasn't the right career move. We just learned yesterday that Popovich held out Duncan in the playoffs once upon a time because he wasn't 100%, it was a move for his longevity. What Simmons did this season was decided he was taking his future into his hands. It was a bold and controversial move but let's give it a season to see if he still has the juice.

The Rockets have a direct communication line with Rich Paul. They will know exactly how motivated Simmons is through that back channel. I'm not saying unequivocally trade for Ben Simmons. I'm saying it doesn't hurt to do some research and investigate whether he may be a player who could recoup a lot of value. There isn't a black and white answer here. The internet loves to pile on and Simmons missing a dunk that caused him to miss a season is prime material to sheep on.

15. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

That explains why his “work ethic” has translated to such an improved jumper after all these years lol. Wow

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Why would you want to tie up that much of the cap when the Rockets are finally going to be out from under bad contracts?

i get that Simmons is talented and some may want to gamble on the potential. I do not. This team is headed in the right direction imo and I think Simmons would be a massive distraction.

Think about something you said…95% of posters and 99% of Twitter? Maybe it’s the 5% and 1% that are thinking wrong with this. This coming from a guy that rarely if ever follows the pack. Me. :p

treyk3 likes this.
  17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Like I said in here or another thread. I'm happy to admit I'm wrong on this in a year. I just feel very strongly about this.

mikol13 likes this.
  18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'll be waiting...

[​IMG]

YOLO likes this.
  19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I was wrong the first time!

I wanted Simmons/Thybulle/Maxey/Picks. I thought tanking that year was too risky of a proposition with the top 4 protection. I was wrong! The team didn't make the trade to tank but it sure worked out well. I'm totally fine with admitting I'm wrong. This time, I am willing to take the risk that Simmons will rebound. My risk aversion is off this time.

D-rock likes this.
  20. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think its admirable admittimg you were mistaken. Quite a few people on the board who twist away from their previous narratives without just saying they were wrong.

i3artow i3aller, Easy, treyk3 and 2 others like this.