1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaedon Sharpe declares for the NBA draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by my time to shine, Apr 21, 2022.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Sharpe is the best player since Zion Williamson. He is a legit superstar. I would seriously consider him with the top pick.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I am exaggerating just a bit to make up for the ultra morons saying we need to pick AJ “do nothing” Griffin with the 5th pick. This pick is only between Murray and Sharpe. Murray is legit NBA starter material but is as boring as it gets. Sharpe is NBA all-star material and is athletic as Jaylen Green.

Nelly likes this.
  3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Why though? Serious question. It’s not even like he had a prolific high school career. He went from unranked to #1 overnight and, obviously, we have no college tape to justify the hype.

Corrosion, arabrocket and coachbadlee like this.
  4. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

We're never drafting this guy unless we're giving up on KPJ this summer.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Nzosa was up there too. Fell off when seen against tougher competition this year.

half the projected top 10 fall off every year. usually the very top, maybe top 3 or so, end up staying. everyone knew about cade and mobley a year before the draft and it stayed that way. everyone knew this year would be chet and Paolo and its staying that way. the rest tends to be a 50/50 crapshoot when looking a year in advance and that's the risk with Sharpe.

unless he wows in workouts its not worth it to me.

6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, I realize this......Wembanyama could be exposed as well, maybe not.

Where is Roko Prkacin who some had around #18 last season?

S Sharpe might be great and an All Star every year; but I'm willing to pass
    and let another team draft him.

Nothing on his Highschool tape against other kids impresses me.

coachbadlee likes this.
  7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I'm for sure not willing to risk a top 4 pick on him. some have him above ivey but I think they are weighing "fit' too heavily.

I'm willing to consider him at #5 but only the workouts, team interviews, background checks, and all other intel the team does, turns out impeccably. even then I'd have a tough time between him, griffin (who's injury history worries me), and Murray (who's age is a concern). not a great second tier in this draft, but I would pick from one of them at #5. I'm not willing to drop down a tier just for a safer choice but at the cost of a lower ceiling.

Sharpe being in the draft is great for the rockets. even if we don't draft him, he will push someone down to #17. and if we end up #5 and one of the top 4 teams really likes his star potential, he opens the possibility of trading up. no one else at #5 could really open that window for us except for him.

jcmoon, CriscoKidd, cmlmel77 and 3 others like this.
  8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

No doubt I was just kidding that I would take him #17

He should be considered at #5 pending workouts.

But workouts don't show heart and determination vs quality competition.
    So I still lean Keegan Murray and Mathurin at #5 if the situation calls for it

I take gambles with follow up pick. Last season I would have taken Kai Jones.
    This year maybe Patrick Baldwin?

#108 ApacheWarrior, Apr 23, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
  9. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i mean this is kinda a genius strategy right? sit out for a year and still be a top 5 NBA draft pick?

honestly it sounds like he didnt have the grades to play so they kept it quiet.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if we stay at #17 I'm hoping someone falls out of the lottery, similarly to how sengun fell when he was supposed to go top 10.

I believe in drafting BPA but if its a tie, I'd lean towards defensive wings/forwards. I think the mid-late lotto has a few that fit the bill. Eason, Sochan, even Daniels who plays more point offensively but can defend 1-3.

Milos, CriscoKidd and treyk3 like this.
  11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Individually Sochan and Daniels are more likely to go top 6 than to fall to pick 17. I’d take Sochan over Murray or Mathurin. I may take Daniels before them too. They are younger and have some upside that isn’t being discussed yet. One of those two could end up being the best player in this draft in the end. Very useful skill sets with incredible size. I expect those two to be risers

Eason, Dieng or PBJ seem like the logical picks there. I think Eason and Dieng will be gone by 17 too though. PBJ may even go top 10. It’s a weird draft.

JusBleezy likes this.
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yeah I'm not about BPA to an extent. I think that's a lazy way of drafting.

The extent being that I might go BPA at position of need. I prioritize a position of
    need and then possibly draft BPA at that position. But I don't slam a qig saw piece
    in place by any means necessary. I look for chemistry and strengths fitting
    the defensive and/or offensive schemes.

Failure is probably the same whether it be BPA as it is with just drafting by position.

Bagley III is probably not a bad player and Buddy Heild is not a bad player.....the
    Kings just stink and draft BPA without thinking about how they will fit.

Sengun is a good example. Here people are already planning his replacement.
    That's poor thought process of cost w/moving up plus finding out his feet are too
    slow. That should be the only reason for moving on from him. Defense.

I'm not saying Sengun is Jokic; but his offense is worth keeping. For the cost
    it took to get him, shoot yeah. To trade him would be at a loss. We won't
    get equal or better value for years. Banchero will be better defensively but
    he and Sengun overlap and much the same. That would be a waste. They
    both seem to like posting up on the right block....so WTF...how is that suppose
    to work. One will have to go. Rebuild delayed!

At least teams are using 3 guard lineups in this day and age. That's why I don't
    see a problem with duplication and overlap with Jaden Ivey. Especially since I
    view Ivey as another Ja Morant.

Now I don't see other 6'4" guards worth taking......and not worth taking Ty-Ty
    when Nix is probably better or the same.

Just one man's opinion.

#112 ApacheWarrior, Apr 23, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
    jcmoon and saleem like this.
  13. fattz

fattz Member

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Luckily for us the top 3 BPAs all play a position of need on this team. Power forward.

Little Bit, cmoak1982 and saleem like this.
  15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I hope so, if he is selected by Houston. I do want to see him improve his handle, attack the rim through traffic and make layups.

Nelly likes this.
  16. rockets13champs

AJ griffin might legit fall down to 10-11. He’s a good trade up target tho from 17

Nook likes this.
  17. saleem

That's fine with me if he's completely fit.

18. H. Christopher

I have Mathurin pretty high on my big board

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  19. saleem

Me too. Mathurin over Murray.

H. Christopher likes this.
  20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Like Ivey, I can envision his athleticism and ability to shoot being a problem for
    the league as Green, Porter, Wood, *Sengun, JC draw the gravity of the defense
    and Silas truly "Expands" the playbook and starts to utilize cutters and slashers.

*Sengun working in the post or by way of Olynyk role at the top of the key.

Just Wow! KaPow

#120 ApacheWarrior, Apr 24, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    H. Christopher likes this.