1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The Rockets should trade Jae’Sean Tate

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 22, 2022.

1. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Tate would be nasty on Memphis. Any chance they'd give us next years first?

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Y’all are going to eat those thoughts next season in a big fat crow platter when he becomes the starting center next year.

This year was the twin towers. Next year Stone and Silas reveal their grand design of always having 5 guys on the court of extremely switchable players under 6 foot 4 with t-Rex arms.

3. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Tate and wood were underdogs when they came to the rockets and I think they excelled. Once harden left the alpha role became partially available (wall was still playing ). This year I think they came in and were like ok we are the big dawgs. Tate I feel like started outside his limits and tried to do too much. I also hated the constant Gordan like complaints.

Tate would be a great 4th or 5th guy. In a contender he would prob be great and shutting down the other teams 2nd best player (1 to 4) capable of switching on the best scorer for short period of time. On offense I think he would be good and being a slasher with postups on smaller players with the occasional outside shooting

Bo6 and snowconeman22 like this.
  4. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Couldn't disagree more.

Tate is the heart of the team right now. He accepted the role crybaby ass Wood wouldn't and it hurt his production. Get rid of Wood and the other massive contracts and suddenly you have the money to pay him. Put Tate in a better position to succeed. He's not a small ball 4, he's a G/F hybrid, a defense-first hustle man. He's your bench 3.

You need a deal sweetener throw in Mathews, Nix, Queen, or some picks. You want a better perception don't commit the same actions that give you a lesser perception.

Porter - Green - Martin - Smith/Holmgren/Banchero - Sengun
    Christopher - ??? - Tate - Garuba - ???

mikenm268, Bo6, Stephen_A and 3 others like this.
  5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Could you imagine being trapped with this guy in a after hours bar

like a lot said before me. Tate is a great asset for a championship team and the Rockets just aren’t there as of yet. Stay Tuned

6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Rockets should trade Tate as I think they will have better options to be in the rotation moving forward.

But if they don't trade him, he definitely needs to be a bench player.

He's the kind of guy you throw in to bring some energy and hustle and defense. But if he plays too long his weaknesses hurt too much.

On nights where his shot is falling it'd just be a bonus and maybe earn his some additional mins.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I disagree - there's an element of addition by subtraction with Tate. As Clutch wrote moving him on frees up time for a younger, better fit player in Martin Jr. and whatever you get with whatever pick is just a bonus on top.

I don't think the Lakers are in any kind of a good bargaining position fwiw either. They still have Westbrook, no assets, and a need to win now. Basically same hellspace they were in all year.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That's fine, we all want the best for our Houston Rockets whether we agree with each other or not. Let's hope for the best, starting with the draft.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  9. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

I love Tate's game. If he needs to be moved to help facilitate a deal that includes Wall, Wood and or Ego you do it.

But it will hurt. Especially playing against him. If we have an option to hold on to him and as long as he is cool with coming of the bench, You HODL!!!

snowconeman22 likes this.
  10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Do you really think teams would consider giving up picks as high as 11 for Tate? I love the guy but I'm not opposed to trading him at all if we can get that kind of value. But I think he'd command a late first rounder at best. He's been a very good role player for the worst team in the league the past two seasons. I just can't imagine teams are lining up to get a guy who has never proven he can contribute to winning in this league.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Amen. And that’s from someone who likes this guy.

Little Bit likes this.
  12. Rokman

Rokman Member

He was also All-Rookie First team last year and selected to be a part of the Rising Stars challenge this year. He's worth keeping and he's worth more than a 2nd Rnd pick.

xiki likes this.
  13. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

I'd rather see him packaged with one or more of those others and the Nets pick to move up far enough to get a second impact player in the draft.

14. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

He is not the heart of the team. We have a losing record quit glorifying role players. We need to focus on salary cap it’s just as important as finding talent. You want to be the guy that finds Chandler Parsons not pays him. We found Tate just at the wrong time we were already trandscending to a rebuild. This guy will cost us through the nose.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

the heart of the worst team in the league 2 years running?

That is not convincing.

16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Agree with OP and premise. Honestly, I began to dislike Tate this year.

I think he has three positives that stand out. Hustle, leadership and he seems to be pretty efficient with converting around the basket. However, he shoots and penetrates way too much. I don't see him getting much better and we need a better shooter out of those minutes.

Trade value wise.... I'd imagine mid to late first.

17. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Im on the fence on this one. I actually prefer Tate’s game to KMJ’s at this point. I think hes exactly the type of player that a winning team needs…someone that can defend multiple positions adequately and doesnt need the ball on offense to be succesful. Like a couple others have mentioned hes a “glue guy”. That said, I also agree that theres a very good chance that the contract he gets next year(the full mid-level or even more) will be one that the Rockets should not be willing to pay. You pay that contract to Tate when you are close to winning a championship and not when you are rebuilding. I guess the answer is to trade him but only if its for a 1st rounder or in a package for another asset or young player. If the Rockets cant find a deal close to that they are probably best holding on to him and hoping they can retain him next year for around $5m-$6m/year.

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Trade Wood and Tate to the Hornets for a 1st

19. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

....who is then? The guy giving his all, thumping his chest and making it through effort not sheer talent? That's Jae'sean Tate. What team have you been watching?

Role players have value, teams aren't just superstars 10 deep. Nobody is paying Tate 25 million and if they do we'll all tip our cap after next year and bid the guy farewell. Quit acting like Tate is 6'9" shooting close to 40% from 3.

You'd rather have David Nwaba? I'm suggesting paying him Nwaba's contract, with that 85ish million coming off the books, to be clear. Through the nose is John Wall. Eric Gordon. Chandler Parsons. Salary cap problems are John Wall, Eric Gordon. Daniel Theis.
    You'd like a team with the most emotionally invested player to be Christian Wood?

20. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Thats what these people who advocate a trade don’t understand. Players who play hard and excel at defense are very valuable. Especially for a 2 way guy like Tate who will continue to work to improve his game. Who is to say he won’t shoot 35% from 3 next year? This is very reachable as many players in the league have improved their 3 pt shot after a few years in the league including Rondo, lonzo ball, and Rocket legend Trevor Ariza.

He has intangibles and a work ethic that can help the other young players, which only increases his value. People are undervaluing or ignoring these attributes and nuances.

I still don’t understand what people see in Martin who doesn’t add much to the offense in terms of shifting defenses or putting teams on their heels on the defensive side of the ball. He can’t dribble drive and finish consistently. He has poor ball handling ability. He has no agility on offense. Most of his points come from lobs, baseline drive off the corner, or in the paint when someone dumps off to him. His three point shot very streaky and inconsistent. Really baffling to me.