1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your ideal draft night....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Sengun did ok as a post defender, but struggled with the switch defense employed by the team. He is tall enough to be a center, but needs to add bulk. His instincts on defense are really good and he is a willing banger. Judging him to not be able to cover center defensively based on 1 season with very limited minutes is premature. He needs a defensive PF and he will be fine at Center.

2. Landry's Tooth

A rim protecting 4 that can switch with him would be ideal...

luckyman76, D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

@Hemingway 's post up top made me want to go back and look at game footage and here's random one I picked:

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&ContextMeasure=OPP_PTS_PAINT&GameID=0022100916&PlayerID=1630578&Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Regular Season&TeamID=1610612745&flag=1&sct=plot&section=game

both what you and @Hemingway said is completely valid--if you got a tall defensive 4 to play next to Sengun I don't think it would be at all bad. There are times when Sengun is playing the 5 but he's pretty much the only rocket above 6'9" on the floor. The defense (not surprisingly) breaks down early on at the 3 point line and Sengun is forced to make a decision to slide over and try to stop the easy layup/dunk which then leaves the man he was originally guarding wide open. Sengun makes the right read/decision most of the time but he's just one guy trying to defend 2+ players and also control the paint by himself.

You put a Jabari on the floor with Sengun and Smith can take the assignments out on the perimeter and slow down the bleeding.

Rockets4Life13 and hakeem94 like this.
  4. StrawberryJamm

I've got the same picks, Jabari and Sochan would be wonderful.

0.6% chance Sochan would be a starter right away.

5. PatBev

PatBev Member

No, I actually think jabari & Paulo are the best options in terms of team ball

6. Landry's Tooth

Everything I've read about Sochan sounds like Tate but with a bigger body....

Possible you're right but he can contribute on defense and transition day 1...

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Jabari Smith & Walker Kessler
    or
    Jaden Ivey & Jalen Duren

We need a massive defensive improvement (choice A here) or just go with our speed advantage (choice B). That's how I see it at the moment, but things are going to change as we go along and know more. Looking forward to new info on each prospect. Here's to you, poster of that.

[​IMG]

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  8. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Exactly, I don’t think fit should be a factor yet, you just take the most talented player and let the kids play ball at this point. Worry about rounding out the roster with role players in 2024 and beyond!

9. Landry's Tooth

So if your second best olayer is regulated to the bench?

I'm not saying fit is everything but it should be if talent level is close...

D-rock likes this.
  10. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Your 2nd best player should start, but fit should not be a consideration when drafting top 5, it’s one of the ways you end up with busts.

Drafting a big because you already have a star at guard for instance, or drafting a center because you like your pf.

Draft the best player every time, and balance your roster through FA and trades down the road. It’s about maximizing the talent on your team at this point, nothing more.

Corrosion likes this.
  11. Landry's Tooth

Just my opinion but blocking players from getting playing time doesn't max their talent...

I'm not suggesting passing on a grade of 96 for an 84 because of need...

There's also the opportunity to trade..

groovemachine likes this.
  12. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

If you draft a guy with any sort of lower rating based on fit, that is a monumental error if the higher rated guy goes on to be an all star and your guy becomes just a solid starter, for instance.

Always draft your higher rated player in the lottery.

13. Landry's Tooth

It's usually the exception more than the rule a guy coming off the bench becomes an allstar...

groovemachine likes this.
  14. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#1 Jabari Smith
    #17 Walker Kessler
    Trade: Wood & Gordon for Andrew Wiggins

Ideal draft night.

KPJ/Nix
    Green/Christopher
    Wiggins/KMJ
    Jabari/Fernando
    Sengun/Kessler

Tate, Mathews, Garuba, Nwaba, MLE player

I can go forward with that team.

15. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

I would love to see us package either Wood/EG/17th pick (any combination) to get into the top 7-10 in the draft.

joshuaao and groovemachine like this.
  16. Sen89

Sen89 Member

If we did get Holmgren + Sochan (or Eason), we'd have a pretty stacked/versatile young core.

Alperen Sengun | C | 6'9" 245 | 19
    Chet Holmgren | PF/C | 7'0" 195 | 20
    Usman Garuba | PF/C | 6'8" 240 | 20
    Jeremy Sochan | SF/PF | 6'9" 225 | 18
    KJ Martin | SF/PF | 6'6" 210 | 21
    JaeSean Tate | SF/PF | 6'4" 230 | 26
    Jalen Green | SG | 6'6" 185 | 20
    Josh Christopher | SG/PG | 6'5" 220 | 20
    Kevin Porter Jr. | PG/SG | 6'5" 215 | 21

And then add in Nix and whatever we get for Wood and EG (and maybe KPJ too).

I think Eason is underrated, and more ready to contribute now (if he keeps his fouls down), but I might be leaning towards Sochan over him now, as he's got more of a projectable wing skillset plus a small edge in size (6'9" to 6'8", similar wingspans). And then add in the fact that he's 3 years younger, and we could also bring him along more slowly. Not to mention Eason may have too much functional overlap with Garuba (which shouldn't keep us from picking him if he kills workouts), but Sochan seems to fit more into how we use KJ/Tate, and with Tate expiring this year and KJ the next, Sochan could fit a big potential hole, but with more growth upside.

Corpusfan likes this.
  17. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Jabari Smith Jr. and Bryce McGowens

18. Summer Song Giver

Jabari or Paulo with the first pick followed by Walker Kessler.
    Then trade Woods for vet pg of comparable value.

groovemachine and Fulgore like this.
  19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Holmgren
    Wood+17 for Eason
    Tate+Gordon+Mil pick for Sochan

Sengun, Garuba, Holmgren as bigs that can all play the 4 a bit. Sign Fernando if we want a 4th.
    Eason, Sochan, KMJ as guys thave have 3/4 flex and can fill small ball center role as needed.
    Green/KPJ/Christopher/Nix/Schroeder to fill backcourt spots and mins at the three where you want a more perimeter oriented player.

luckyman76, Corpusfan and D-rock like this.
  20. Caesar

Caesar Member

Whatever gets us the next Josh Smith to our Corey Brewer

D-rock likes this.