1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RIP] Taylor Hawkins of Foo Fighters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Beezy, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

California doesn't often get things right, but they've been starting to charge drug dealers that deal Fentanyl for murder if someone dies from it.

FrontRunner likes this.
  2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

That's a pretty myopic take. I get your sentiment though, and don't wholly disagree with it, though.

I've seen plenty of people, mostly with advanced cancer, that are able to function largely only because of fentanyl. People that you might see on the street and have no clue about their diagnosis.

3. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Go **** youself. Myopic take my ass

4. Two Sandwiches

Guess I touched a nerve. I stand by my statement. You can stand by yours, it's fine. It means nothing.

There's a reason it exists. In it's proper form at least. I would love to see you ooze the compassion you currently are to someone that is suffering from unbearable pain that couldn't get a drug like fentanyl. Would you tell them the same?

The problem here is not the drug itself. It's bootleggers, and it's many political issues, such as legalization of other drugs, which are better topics for the D and D.

Sorry I touched a nerve. Maybe you're....drunk?

BTW, RIP to Taylor Hawkins. Great band. Greater band name. Icons.

#24 Two Sandwiches, Mar 26, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
  5. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Plowman and Two Sandwiches like this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it would be good if they arrested all the drug dealers

7. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just had a drug talk with my 14 year old daughter and the dangers of fentanyl featured prominently. I'm so ****ing glad that **** wasn't around in the 80s and 90s.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It's truly absurd how dangerous it is. It's the crack of today, but more insidious because it's from big pharma and it doesn't necessarily have the same stigma and it's highly addictive and more deadly. Most people on the streets today are hooked on it and we turn a blind eye to it or even encourage it in some places. Horrible watching interviews with people on the street and seeing how bad this **** is.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  9. Roscoe Arbuckle

From a friend of mine who is in Columbia several months per year.

"Very sad....found in a hotel room in Bogota.

I'm not going to make assumptions as there is no official cause of death. But the problem with narcotourism in Colombia is people coming down not realizing the purity of a narcotic can be much higher than what you'd normally get in North America or Europe; and if it is cut you have no idea what they cut it with. This happens dozens of times a year."

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

If he died from a heroin overdose, then it may have nothing to do with Fentanyl. It could be due to the purity and misgauge of the dose. If he hadn't used it in forever and used a dosage similar to what he may have last used when he had a huge tolerance, then that would do it. Ask Phillip Seymour Hoffman. But, doesn't a heroin overdose usually just kill you in seconds flat. I've never heard of someone complaining of chest pains. They basically just keel over and die.

Or, it could have just been a heart attack preceded by chest pains. It's suspicious because of the location obviously.

Have the police said they found evidence of drug usage? Or, is it just someone saying that because he had a history with it?

I'll give Taylor the benefit of the doubt for now and think it was a heart attack or something coronary-related.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He participated in the Netflix special - "Count Me In" - a terrific show with and about the greats of drumming, it's history in depth, and something I highly recommend that I saw again just a couple of days ago. Hawkins really stood out during the times he was on. He was articulate, clearly intelligent, and while it's bitter to say it now, so full of life. Taylor was only 50. How incredibly sad, and what a blow to his family, his friends, and those who appreciated his talent.

We keep losing musicians. Some clearly at the end of a long career, some far too young, and then there are those like Taylor Hawkins, who should have continued to be in the prime of his successful career, still able to contribute with his art, and I consider it an art, in any direction he desired. May he rest in peace.

MadMax, CCity Zero, Plowman and 7 others like this.
  12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

14. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I totally agree with you, but it might be best to point out that fentanyl was invented over 60 years ago. Not sticking up for big pharma, but pharmaceutical fentanyl isn’t usually the problem. It’s the illicit stuff that is generally killing people.

15. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Amazing! Columbia really is a drug Mecca. They get toxicology reports about four to six weeks quicker than we can.

16. Two Sandwiches

I agree with you completely as well. That's why in my original post, I stated that I get his point.

Fentanyl was approved for use in the US in the 1960s. It became a wholesale problem around 2015.

It's a multi-pronged issue, but it starts with Mexico and South America and the drug trades. Obviously, it's a huge problem. It accounts for about 70% of overdose deaths, which kill basically three times as many people per year as far accidents. It's the illicit drug trade that is doing this, though, not the legit, pure prescription form that benefits a large number of people, the way it was intended.

That was the point of my response. I agreed with his point (and yours), but let's not make villains of the scientists who invented a legacy drug of the world, let's go after the people that are killing the young and old in our country in droves (the cartels). That's why I say it's a myopic view.

I truly think we're all on the same page here. And with that, I'll recuse myself from the thread so as not to further derail.

17. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

The fact that he might have had Xanax, Lexapro, and weed in his system makes him the equivalent of a large portion of the US population.

the opioids unfortunately is the outlier. So tragic.

18. Surfguy

Taylor said he was living a healthy lifestyle. It doesn't sound like it and sounds like he was still partying it up. River Phoenix was supposedly living a healthy lifestyle as well. He just forgot to mention the unhealthy consumption of drugs he partook in. Taylor appears to have pushed the limits one too many times and it finally caught up with him. That is...if the toxicology reports are true. I read a white powder was found in his room. Assuming that was cocaine he was using, that would possibly lead to this outcome. And, I think Dave (and even the bandmates) had to know Taylor was using...assuming he was. They were probably partying together. It could have just seemed like any other time they partied on the road. If they did know, then there is going to be some guilt feelings going around. Obviously, I'm speculating but the early reports don't look good. It's doubtful he died of natural causes. It's just really sad. They were larger than life on stage and performing alone is a huge high. Being between shows and hanging in hotel rooms being bored...that is where the trouble starts.

I'm sad about it but I'm kind of pissed. It feels like we were robbed. Dave and Taylor had another ten years of music-making in them at least and likely more. I never got to see them live but would have liked to. How do you replace Taylor? I don't see it. It will never be as good because of the storied history of Dave and Taylor together. I could see Dave going either way...continuing as Foos or calling it quits for the band. One would assume Taylor would want them to go on. They probably had conversations about it.

CCity Zero and Two Sandwiches like this.
  19. Surfguy

Read his heart was twice the size of a normal heart. He was probably a ticking time bomb.

[​IMG]

20. Roscoe Arbuckle