1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Batman = Robert Pattinson

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, May 17, 2019.

1. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I love the murder/Mystery story with Batman showing his detective skills. We really haven't seen a lot of that in Batman movies prior to this one.

I think the action scenes were better than the Nolan movies

I loved his the mystery had some many moving parts and so many characters were involved.

I am looking forward to the HBO Max series that will set up the sequel and they could go a lot of different ways with the next movie.

Slyonebluejay and MadMax like this.
  2. runamok

runamok Member

That was an awesome take, appreciated the director went this path instead of an all out superhero action blockbuster. Felt immersed in the darkness from the get go. Loved the style, really felt the impact of those gunshots and of course loved Nirvana's brooding. Some parts remind me of the movie-Seven.

MadMax likes this.
  3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

HBO Max....probably late April (45 day window)..may fall into May.

Jontro likes this.
  4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I know my preferred order is not the norm.

1. Batman Begins
    2. The Dark Knight
    3. The Batman
    4. The Dark Knight Rises
    5. Batman (Keaton)

5. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Watched it for the second time today. I’m definitely putting it above TDK.

Also, comes to HBO Max 4/19.

MadMax likes this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Haven't seen it yet, Max, but agree on point #2, and #4 makes it sound very exciting. That was an unforgettable film.

MadMax likes this.
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I have to be the contrarian
    I thought it was a 7/10 at best

It was a weird collage of better movies.
    Got boring at points.
    And the pseudo Darth Vader theme for batman got annoying.

Rocket River

Invisible Fan likes this.
  8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ok, saw this over the weekend and I've been processing it ever since. I'm not sure a Batman movie has ever stayed with me as long as this one has.

I thought it was incredible, in pretty much every way it could be. I went in cautiously optimistic. I wasn't sure about Pattinson as the choice but I knew he was a much better actor than the Twilight movies would indicate...but could he pull off Batman. Well, he did. And especially for the time/place that they chose to base this movie in, he was perfect as the Batman who had only been Batmaning for 2 years, and hadn't really worked through all the reasons for doing what he was doing, and the how. He had an incredible presence, but was imperfect and far from invincible.

Matt Reeves needs to make more movies. Everything I've seen by him just absolutely slaps. I still feel like the Planet of the Apes trilogy is one of the best trilogies ever. One that actually sticks the landing (I know he was only responsible for 2 of the 3).

I'm gonna spoiler the rest of my review as it references specific things in the movie:
    1. The action wasn't prevalent, but when it was it was intense. I agree with whoever said they showed too much of that in the trailers, but they kind of had to.
    2. I loved the little moments here and there where we see that Batman is really damn good, but still somewhat inexperienced and capable of screwups. The reveal of the Batmobile was absolutely PERFECT in that regard. The rev'ing the engine, the colors, my arm hairs immediately stood on end and I got the chills all over. Then the car stalls out and the whole theater laughs. But yeah, he probably hasn't taken that Batmobile out on that many drives yet. Seems like prior to that he preferred the motorcycle. So the car is probably not 100%. Perfect little moment.
    3. Another of those was the his bat flight suit. It was realistic looking and functioning. But more than that he clearly wasn't great with it yet. When his chute caught the bridge and he crashed was great. But also when he first comes to the edge of that building and immediately kind of backs away in fear. Would any of the other Batmen we've seen have done that? Heck no, Keaton Batman literally opened with him beating ass on the rooftops and then dropping off without looking down like it was nothing. Bale was the same way. But those Batmen had been doing their thing for a while at that point. This one hasn't had to jump off too many buildings yet (if any). It was just an aspect of this character we've never really seen before.
    4. There were also some little moments that I'm pretty sure were intentional but not 100%. In the 3rd act when Selena reaches out to Bruce through his contact camera, she asks "Can you see me?" and he replies "Yes, I can see you." But he doesn't use his Batman voice. Now, could it be because he wasn't dressed up as Batman in that moment and so it didn't occur to him? Maybe, but I took it as this was Bruce finally starting to let someone other than Alfred in. He was starting to trust people, which was key for his character all the way up to the end. To me it felt very intentional.
    5. The fighting was amazing. I loved that this Batman is way less kung-fu style fighting and more just brute force beatdowns. It works with the intimidation factor that he is intentionally trying to develop. And we get introduced to it very early with that first fight scene on Halloween with those hooligans. Immediately set the tone.
    Geez, I could go on and on but I've already written a book here. I definitely need to see this again before it leaves theaters.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It wasn't as good a movie as the Nolan trilogy, but it may have been the best Batman movie, if that makes any sense. It felt very comic bookish, which is good for the most part, but not good in a few spots. I'd probably give it an 8/10.

The Batsuit looked f**king amazing, by far the best film version, he looked intimidating AF and I also liked how Bruce Wayne focused it was. The ambient music was terrible. I thought it was amazing when he made his first appearance, but 45 minutes of the same 4 second loop was bad. I also thought he was excessively emo, even by Batman standards. The Nirvana usage was brilliant though.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Funny.
    I called it the Hero Movie where the Hero never put on the Mask
    In this case . .. Bruce Wayne is the Mask
    and he didn't really show up in this movie
    Just unsuited Batman
    It was forgivable but IMO cost some cool points

Rocket River

11. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I won't be comparing apples to oranges (different Batman movies) but I just came back from a 2nd viewing.

It's like the director took Nolan's realistic universe and combined it with Burton's more gothic style

A perfect blend **chef's kiss**

It's like playing the Arkham games

12. Roscoe Arbuckle

13. dmoneybangbang

This was really good. Not sure where I’d rank it but it’s be up there.

The thing that stands out to me is the atmosphere…. Usually every scene was at night, dusk, or dawn and it’s usually raining. Reminded me of Seven in a way.

The action and violence was quick and brutal. However, I kept thinking of the Dumb and Dumber line “what if they shoot in you in the face”.

Just a great vibe, great characters, and great story.

MadMax likes this.
  14. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

One thing that was a unique thing about this movie was he was really unsure how to act as Bruce Wayne in public.

MadMax likes this.
  15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I watched the Zoe Kravitz skits on SNL and was struck by her looks. She's either insanely, exotically beautiful or I don't know what.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The riddler gave me BTK vibes

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It's actually more believable to me. It's hard to act one way in public and be a semi psychopath vigilante at night. Bruce Wayne being the mask is more believable.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Saw it again last night in imax...just so good.

rockbox and dmoneybangbang like this.
  19. clos4life

clos4life Member

She is definitely beautiful but she looks almost too young for the role. Maybe in 10 years she'll grow into the maturity Catwoman needs during her prime.

Xerobull likes this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

Again.... the atmosphere was fantastic. I forgot to mention the music....... My bollocks tingled a bit every time the theme music started playing....

MadMax likes this.