1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greatest rock ‘n’ roll band of all time

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roc Paint, Feb 18, 2022.

1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Led Zeppelin

AXG, boomboom, Xerobull and 2 others like this.
  2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

There are a pretty small number of bands that could objectively be in the discussion. The Beatles and The Rolling Stones are two of them.

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Old school
    Pink Floyd

New school
    Radiohead

Blake, peleincubus and CrazyJoeDavola like this.
  4. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

You can't help but appreciate how great the Beatles were, but for me it's Led Zeppelin.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Material Issue.

6. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Agree.

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Led Zeppelin loses points for ripping off other musicians and pretending it didn't happen.

Best live band was The Who with Moon on drums. Moon and The Ox are arguably the greatest rock and roll drummer and bassist. Drumming purists might argue Moon but he is certainly in the top echelon. I'm not sure how you argue against Entwistle as best bassist ever. Add a pretty good lead guitarist/lead singer--both of whom demanded attention when they were performing--and you've got a great band. The first few seconds of this concert are just mind-blowing. The rest is damn good too.

Rashmon and rocketsjudoka like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

I love that you started a thread with a question and then answered it in 2 words.

Deckard and Roc Paint like this.
  10. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Im partial to Pink Floyd but you could make an argument for Zeppelin as well.

mikol13 and CrazyJoeDavola like this.
  11. CrazyJoeDavola

Put me down for Pink Floyd as well. So many hits. Listening to their music is a true experience. Their best work was obviously with Waters, but a lot of their post Waters work is very very good.

mikol13 likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Rolling Stones were formed in 1962 and are still going

Deckard likes this.
  13. CCorn

CCorn Member

The Smashing Pumpkins

lost_elephant and Xerobull like this.
  14. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

My favorite Led Zep live performance.

Roc Paint likes this.
  15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'mma let you finish but RUSH is the greatest 3-piece rock n roll band of all time...OF ALL TIME!

They rank third in total album sales behind The Rolling Stones and The Beatles. They've sold over 40 million albums with 25 gold and/or platinum. They only have 3 members that produce a wall of sound that 5 member bands would have trouble producing. They had the greatest rock arena drummer OF ALL TIME who is consistently ranked either #1 by his peers or in the running with Bonham. And, he wrote all the bands lyrics...which are inarguably the most intelligent lyrics in rock history OF ALL TIME! They are the only band whose singer had high pitched lyrics that many then mistook him for a girl when they heard him...the most man-girly voice OF ALL TIME! He sang difficult lyrics, played helluva bass lines, and played keyboards with his feet all at the same time...AT THE SAME TIME! Alex is inarguably the best guitarist at producing organic sounds providing crazy atmosphere (stand aside, Gilmour ;)) and was able to go crazy solo or classical acoustic on a dime. He is the most underrated guitarist of all time...OF ALL TIME!

I'mma let you finish now but RUSH is the greatest 3-piece rock n roll band of all time...OF ALL TIME!

[​IMG]
    :)

#15 Surfguy, Feb 19, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
    Colt45, Yung-T, ROCKSS and 5 others like this.
  16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The late 1960s and 1970s were such a perfect confluence of creativity, avant-garde thinking, rebellion, mind expanding drugs and style that will never be replicated. There's no surprise that every band mentioned here either formed or peaked in that era.

Yung-T, plutoblue11, Surfguy and 2 others like this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm actually not a Beatles fan. I don't mind their music but they aren't anywhere near my favorite band. Personal feelings aside given their influence I would give them the title of the Greatest Rock band.

rockbox, Rashmon and BigM like this.
  18. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

its impossible to pick one but i think a strong case can be made for chuck berry.

maybe he wasnt the first r&r'er, but he took it to the next level and set the stage for all who followed. he directly influenced and was a hero to most of the bands mentioned in this thread. innovative in terms of his guitar playing, singing, and great lyrics. perfect soundtrack for the emergence of american car culture in the 50's and the boomers becoming teenagers. his music is about as american and as r&r as you can get. as a live performer he was pure energy and excitement. watch the 2nd video. he was singing, playing and dancing his ass off. i cant imagine how revolutionary this was to hear in the 50's.

stones vs. beatles - im more of a beatles fan, but i think the stones were a better "rock and roll" band. beatles went in more directions and were more creative, but in terms of pure r&r its the stones.

ac/dc - bon scott gets my vote for best rock frontman of all time. vocals, stage presence and lyrics were everything that r&r is supposed to be. ac/dc is at least the greatest "hard rock" band of all time, imo.

boomboom and Manny Ramirez like this.
  19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Best band, Beatles. Best ROCK band, Zeppelin. Runners-up, Stones, The Who, U2.

Rashmon and boomboom like this.
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Queen.

DD

Yung-T likes this.