1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Great Olajuwon is coaching the Great Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Jan 30, 2022.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If you want Sengun to be more than a part time player he’s going to have to be able to shoot. Doesn’t necessarily mean from 3 but he has to be able to make space with his pump fakes, only way is to be a threat to shoot

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

NO
    if you do pump fake right players will go for it...cant do nothing about it even if you cant shoot...its subsconcious ....a reflex

yanis cant shoot and hes more then the role player HES THE BEST PLAYER

aaquaa likes this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

But he does shoot, that’s what opens up his drives.

aaquaa likes this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

cp3 beat lebron in the playoffs last year without shooting playing with one hand

aaquaa likes this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You’re also comparing different style players. You cannot be a one dimensional offensive player and be one of the best players in the league. A back to the basket only player can be game planned for.
    One that can face up, penetrate, dish, pick and pop, spot up and be a threat is a great player.
    I don’t know why you would want him to only focus on his strengths, that doesn’t make elite players. Have to focus on weaknesses until they aren’t weaknesses anymore

aaquaa likes this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

imho youre too much hellbent on idea of copying .....

steph curry didnt copy... he didnt want to expand his game to postups or defense to do what other greats before him were doing....he just did what he was good at until he become insanely good at it and theres no gameplan for him...

so converesly if youre an insanely good postup player theres no game plan for you either

or driver like yanis....

trying to teach steph curry to postup and be a lockdown defender would just water down his greatness.... he perhaps woudnt even make it in the league

imho when alpi establishes himself in a few years here... then he may expand his game however he likes...until then hes in danger of extinction and being watered down...

perhaps if he find a great mentor.. or somebody.. OR IF HE IS GIVEN 20+ SHOTS A GAME....yeah then you can spend 6-7 shots a game to practice a new skill and still be you.... but under silas and with 7 shots total available to you, NO
    BIG NO

aaquaa likes this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This makes no sense at all.
    Copying what?
    A basketball player that can’t shoot isn’t a basketball player. You keep bringing up Giannis, but what turned him into an elite offensive player is the threat of shooting.

Why would Steph post up? He finishes from 3, midrange and at the basket. That’s a complete offensive player.
    If Alp can be a 3 level scorer, he’s in the convo for top 15-20 player in the league.
    If not, he’s a role player.

aaquaa likes this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

cmon now yanis has 20 shots a game available and all the balllhoging rights... when alpi will be given that then yes, he may spent 5 shots a game to sniper from 3 or midrange to keep defenses honest

last night he was given 6 shots and spent 5 of them bricking 3s... thats why we lost thats why he didnt have a great game and had trouble getting into the flow and his game

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You’re misunderstanding me, I don’t think what Silas is doing is right and I don’t think Alp should turn into a spot up 3 pt shooter.
    I think for him to be a truly elite player he does need to expand his repertoire.
    Force Silas or the next coach feature him.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Houstonharden

Houstonharden Member

Can Olajuwon teach Segun to shoot a jumper? I swear he is worse than Thesis

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you cant even notice that youre in favor of copying? lack of self awareness?...and thats what makes me reluctant to write on this more:D

complete player? what does complete player even means?
    does god almighty revealed the idea and definition of the complete player in moses tablets or you just copied that idea from somewhere

player that cant shoot isnt a complete player? and why it has to be 3 levels why not 4 levels or 6 levels or just 2 levels or just one level?
    copying... repeating what youve heard and drilled in your mind

what does shooting even mean?
    alpi can shoot sure but can he hit?
    benn simmons can shoot

yanis can shoot but hes a poor shooter just like alpi
    so if yanis can get by so can alpi

even if there is no yanis precendent we as thinking beings can deduce that its possible for a player to be great at basketball without even shooting ever if he has other abilities cause after all its a team game and how many coaches made their teams great without ever scoring a basket...

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe I just want more for Alp than you do. He’s my favorite player on the team, I’d like to see him be an elite player.

hakeem94 and aaquaa like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

once again sorry if i seem like i am lecturing to you but i am kind having fun writing, nothing personal...cp3 beat lebron playing with ONE FREAKING HAND not even shooting the ball...
    you've just glided over it too easily

how come they werent able to gameplan for the one-handed man?

alpi is not 1 dimensional...far from that, its people who desperately want him to shoot who want him to be 1 dimensional...

hes cp3esque player...he can win you game without even shooting... he can do it all even the defense... hes excellent just needs teammates and refs to give him a break....

#93 hakeem94, Feb 7, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

perhaps, btw not that i am against him shooting, just wouldn't want it to detract him from being great and establishing himself first...

because there only so much things that you can learn successfully simultaneously... and if it were that easy to learn multiple things simultanously everybody would be excellent in everything...

15. TheRedRanger

TheRedRanger Member

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I see Sengun in this very game putting into practice some of the Dream moves. This kid is such a quick learner and so advanced for his age. I really love Sengun. How good will he be in 5 yrs? Scary.

aaquaa and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. hakeemthagreat

Clearly Hakeem's fault Sengun can't make layups now or defend

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

lol dumbass

cmoak1982 likes this.