1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Fitch coach of the Rockets in the Mid 80's Passes Away at 89

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsjudoka, Feb 3, 2022.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bill Fitch was the first coach I remember coaching the Rockets and coached the great '86 team that went to the Championship with then Akeem Olajuwon, Ralph Sampson, Rodney McCray and Robert Reid. He had also coached the Boston Celtics that beat the Rockets in 1980 that had Moses Malone and Calvin Murphy. In addition to that he coached the Cavaliers, the Nets and the Clippers.

An NBA legend.
    https://www.click2houston.com/news/...itch-former-rockets-coach-has-died-at-age-89/

Legendary coach Bill Fitch, former Rockets coach, has died at age 89

Larry Bird once called coach Bill Fitch “by far the best I’ve seen.”

Many of Bird’s Boston Celtics teammates disagreed. The multiple teams that fired Fitch disagreed. The Basketball Hall of Fame disagreed.

But as time passed, the sting faded from Fitch’s Marine-drill-sergeant style (perhaps picked up from his father, a Marine drill sergeant). Appreciation grew for Fitch’s devotion to the job and success in it.

Fitch – who died at 89 – will be remembered as one of the NBA’s all-time great coaches.

Fitch coached the Houston Rockets from 1983-1988. Fitch coached the Rockets to the 1986 NBA Finals, where they lost to his former team, the Celtics. Houston fired Fitch in 1988.
    [​IMG]

#1 rocketsjudoka, Feb 3, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    rfrocket, DeBeards, Xerobull and 20 others like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

RIP Coach Fitch.

You will be missed.

Innovator, champion and a legend.

Andre0087, DeBeards, Clutch and 9 others like this.
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

For me also, Bill Fitch was coaching when I really became interested in the Rockets. Bill will always be in my memories along with those Rockets moments of that era. Thanks Bill. You will be missed.

dawesome, Clutch, sirjesse and 9 others like this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Considering there's a lot who don't remember the 1995 Rockets team I guess I shouldn't be surprised that many don't remember or know much about the 1986 team or how good of a job Bill Fitch did coaching them. The Two Towers idea of playing both Olajuwon and Sampson was very innovative. When the Rockets lost John Lucas II (not yet John Lucas III) putting in Robert Reid at PG was a real gamble when he hadn't played PG but mostly SF. That gamble paid out great with Reid providing good D against Magic Johnson.

Most people also don't remember how good that Lakers team was that Rockets beat in 5 in the WCF and the Celtics team they took to 6 in the Finals. Those teams were chock full of NBA Hall of Famers and coached by the legendary Pat Riley. That Rockets team could've been a dynasty in the making if not for drugs and injuries.

D-rock, DeBeards, Clutch and 12 others like this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rip coach Fitch
    The nba screwed us with Wiggins and Lloyd

6. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

David Stern sting operation... but at the same time, that probably led to them turning around their lives.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

True
    But it’s not like nobody on the lakers and Celtics didn’t do coke

8. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

That game is what turned me into a life long Rockets fan. I just watched the whole thing. Thanks for sharing! Awesome!

That team was amazing. Still sad thinking of Lloyd's wasted potential. Dude was a beast.

RIP Bill Fitch. ...but I think I could have coached that team at least to the playoffs. That team was stacked.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I remember hating it when he took over for the Rockets because he came from the evil Celtics. :D

RIP, Mr. Fitch.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes, the Rockets stunned the NBA with that upset. The defending champion Lakers were heavily favored. Heck, Fran Blinebury of the Chronicle said the Rockets couldn't beat them. Bill Fitch took what he had and out-coached Pat Riley with his innovative lineup.

The Rockets were getting a lot of positive media coverage nationally back then. Hard to believe now, right? It's true. Ralph Sampson was a multiple College Player of the Year winner (set a record) and on the cover of Sports Illustrated several times, so when Houston won the coin flip and drafted him #1 it put us on the map. Then we did the same thing with Olajuwon the next year with another winning coin flip (which caused the league to change how they did the draft) and Bill Fitch dreamed up the Twin Towers. I can't remember who coined the name, but Bill was the perfect coach for the pair. When Bill was fired, I thought he was the "fall guy" for a Rockets ownership that was too cheap to surround what became Olajuwon's team (after Ralph's injuries) with the talent needed to get us out of the 1st round.

Rest in peace. You certainly earned it.

D-rock, DeBeards, Clutch and 6 others like this.
  11. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

And throw the Astros cheating scandal in there as well. The big leagues like to pick and choose who they make examples of. Not excusing the drugs or the cheating, but some context doesn't hurt.

I was a season ticket holder for Fitch's entire run and some before and after. I remember him not being my favorite coach, but to be honest I don't remember my issues with him - maybe he stuck with "his guys" a little too much for my liking. He certainly did a good job with the 86 team after the suspensions.

RIP.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

RIP to what should be a Houston Icon.

13. Newlin

Newlin Member

I liked him. Those years with Ralph and Akeem were fun.

Coached Larry Bird and Kevin McHale to a championship over Moses and the Rockets.

Basketball hall of fame
    NBA Championship
    2x Coach of the year
    944 wins

He was known for developing young players.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

This was the Pre-Les and Pre-Tilman days

It

was

PURE

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rest in Peace. While I was never a fan of him as a coach, I recognize the importance he played in the history of the the team.

16. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Rip! Thank you Bill Fitch for everything!

17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Great coach. I think he lived up on Lake Conroe for years after he retired. I think....

18. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Either some of you are Houston historians or some of you are just old(er)

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes that team was stacked but so were there opponents. That Lakers they beat had three future hall of famers and was the defending NBA Championship. The 1986 Celtic team was considered among the best ever with 4 future Hall of Famers.

In the 80's there was as much talent in the league as now but it was concentrated into fewer teams.

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

A little of both..

D-rock and raining threes like this.