1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Texans Coaching Search

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Jan 13, 2022.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I mean Jon Gruden sent a series of disgusting emails. At my workplace sending even just one of them would have HR calling me and sending multiple over the course of years wouldn't be possible because I would have been fired after the 2nd one. If you are a good person, you would report those emails. The fact that the NFL didn't report him and get him away from covering the league, shows that leadership aka the owners, who Goodell reports to, turned a blind eye to Gruden's behavior.

I have no doubt that the vast majority of NFL owners are terrible people. I bet you that the Redskins emails that got locked up contain so much more, but this is the NFL and the rich powerful owners quickly prevented them from being leaked.

2. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

There's some logic in this. They've been around for 20 years and they have a record under .500. They've never made the AFC championship game. They have a terrible roster and they're run by a pastor. Why not just let it all burn?

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Exactly my point. McCown can be a means to an end one way or another.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Jack Easterby will have his redemption christened with a half time performance by a reunited creed

Fulgore likes this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So its most definitely McCown, right?

6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Did Jesus Crip walk on water?

houston19519 and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The Texans are already looked at as a joke and that hasn't done anything. Firing a minority head coach (after 1 year, which suggests he was a token hire) to hire a white high school coach who ends up failing will be a continuation of the clown show, and not the beginning.

It's also not the end of the clown show, either.

Fulgore likes this.
  8. Two Sandwiches

Culley was a terrible hire, not taking race into account. The question of reverse racism is valid, for sure, but his firing had nothing to do with his race.

The flak about Culley should have been at his hiring, not his firing. For some it was.

I was one of them. I've moved beyond it.

The dumpster fire continues. Let it burn.

9. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Not as far fetched as one might think. Cal is just the kind of right-wing moron who would fund the Oath Keepers or some other militia. It's easy to see him emailing some "patriot" something noxious about Black Lives Matter or people coming across the border.

TheRealist137, mario_v and Fulgore like this.
  10. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

He isn’t even a high school head coach. He is a high school offensive assistant coach.

#570 Chilly_Pete, Jan 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    IBTL likes this.
  11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

While I agree that Culley was always a bad hire, the fact that they fired him after 1 year makes it pretty clear to me that it was a PR hire, which is actually WORSE than just not hiring a black coach at all. No matter how you interpret it, the outcome is the same, it makes the Texans look like a joke.

The cynic in me could argue that they found the worst minority HC candidate possible in order to set him up to fail, so that they can fire him and then hire a white coach. This is the NFL owner equivalent of "I have a black friend so I can't be racist"

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Well, duh! But the reality is THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT OPTICS!

13. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

what has McDaniels proved? What has Flores proved? What has Bienemy proved as OC of third ranked offense? What has Dabboll proved as OC of 5th ranked offfense?

#573 DasouthDakota, Jan 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
  14. mario_v

mario_v Member

They might fire Caserio if McCown fails but I just don’t see Easterby ever getting fired. I think he is here to stay.

15. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

McDaniels failed in Denver and reneged on his word with Indianapolis- which caused his assistant coaches to relocate their families to another state and he left them hanging. So Mcdaniels has proven to be unreliable.

I’m an advocate for Flores coaching here… but there’s a lot of smoke about him causing a lot of issues in Miami. Seemed to be a power struggle between him and the GM there. We had a similar situation here more than once.

Ryan Poles (just left KC to take the Bears GM job) didn’t bring Bienemy in for a single interview- that says ALOT about Bienemy IMO. If he is such a huge part of KC’s offensive success and developing Mahomes, why wouldn’t they bring him in to help develop Fields? Dude didn’t even get a shot

Daboll was a hot commodity and rightfully so… but wasn’t linked to the Texans job at all this coaching cycle.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Do you really think that a sport full of testosterone isn’t going to have a ton of off color emails/texts/verbiage?
    Of course it is, I mean look at the players/coaches/ownership.
    I don’t get throwing Cal (who is a dumbass) into the “racist pile” just because. Racist and sexist/misogynistic aren’t the same things

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

This isn't about something as simple as racism which it's not. Culley was hired to be a head coach cutout to place on the sidelines and he was perfect for that role. His hiring also provided "racial" cover for them to hire a white coach later because it allows them to point out that: "We hired a Black coach but he was unqualified for the position." So now they get to hire an unqualified white coach and no one will be able to accuse them of racial "insensitivity".

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. H. Christopher

Lol

20. Two Sandwiches

I think we agree on this. We're on the same page.

Rudyc281 likes this.