1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green Needs to be Benched

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wizkid83, Jan 25, 2022.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hakeem94 said Jabroni Smith - Jabroni Parker.

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Theoretically if Green could even be average at 3 point shooting, finishing layups and shooting a free throws he would be at 58+ percent TS. His shot selection is like Zach Lavines just without actually making them lol.

I also don't think it's about shoot midrange, those are bad shots for him no matter what. It's more about learning when is a good time to drive, or knowing when you can draw a foul, or when there's no chance and you make a pass or pull it out.

Green looks like he's playing a video game with two buttons right now.

D-rock likes this.
  3. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Mobley the next KG, Duncan was there for the taking...

D-rock likes this.
  4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

The new wave of starting caliber 2 guards nowadays were pretty much ultra athletic and raw coming in... Which Green is... The problem is they probably weren't drafted no.2 overall... But again, I'm a believer.. Green just looks clueless right now.. Year 2 growth will be vital and make it that much more impressive when he becomes " that dude" ...

D-rock likes this.
  5. bj3175

bj3175 Member

He has a lot of attention on him. He is still learning he cant out athlete anyone at this level. He has to learn the game first. he will be fine as long as he has to earn his keep

DaDakota likes this.
  6. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

His draft position is irrelevant now and let him grow and learn and stop trying to hold him back from learning. Be patient as a fan. This is for the long haul, not to just star straight away. Also needs a couple of years to put weight on, put muscle on

steddinotayto likes this.
  7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Well his situation is interesting. He is the 3rd maybe 4th option in this starting lineup. I really do think he is still finding his role and place in this offense. I do believe that playing with KPJ has hindered him with KPJ often playing the role of playmaker with the ball in his hands for the most possessions. With Ignite Green handled the ball coming up the court often sharing it with Nix. He was in isos on top of the key and allowed free reign to make plays.

I think he has struggled in playing behind Wood KPJ and Tate and have an identity often deferring to these players. The synergy isn’t there yet. Not to say it never will be. But for him to have the numbers these other players are having he would need to have his team not KPJ’s team. We have seen him play well at times with flashes of brilliance. But without being the focal point of the offense he isn’t getting the looks and situations he would otherwise be in.

Cunningham was given the reigns as a primary playmaker for that team much like how Ja was in his rookie year. The other top rookies (Barnes, mobley, duarte etc) fill into their defined roles with a good supporting cast already present. One thing though I’ve seen is Green doesn’t change pace or stop and go. He’s really north south and plays with one speed. Maybe time will help him slow down and be more methodical and tactical.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  8. NewAge

NewAge Member

what do you mean by "3rd maybe 4th option"?
    Last game for example he took 16 shots, that’s the most of anyone on the floor, from both teams.
    His usage % leads the team, with KPJ and Wood in a virtual tie.
    I don’t know where you get "3rd or 4th option". He’s plenty featured, much more than a normal coach would allow, given the lack of production.

D-rock and GotGame15 like this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

KPJ is the point guard and like virtually every team is tasked with setting up the offense. The Rockets do let Green bring the ball up and do give him a significant amount of primary ball handler duties. The problem is he just plain sucks at it. I’m not giving up on the kid. With the proper physical and basketball training, he should make some gains next year. Please stop blaming Porter for Green’s issues. Porter has made significant improvements on both sides of the ball since coming back from injury. Some people just can’t get over his poor start to the season and their pre-conceived ideas about him as a person.

10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Green is 2 years away.

D-rock, DaDakota and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  11. VanityHalfBlack

I’ll give him 2 more years before I make an assessment.

12. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

please stop assuming. Nothing to do with his history. My assessment is based on watching how Porter plays with Green and there is very little chemistry between the two. I am looking at the whole body of work. There is little flow and synergy in this offense as a whole and my assessment is Porter isn’t right as a 1. If you don’t agree great I don’t care but again do not assume how I think.

13. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Not an NBA talent scout but is it a good sign when your #2 draft pick needs to be benched and the rest of your guards who would play ahead of him are journeyman scrubs?

DaDakota likes this.
  14. NewAge

NewAge Member

haha… I like the "I am just an unfrozen caveman lawyer" shtick and the consistent use of it. Branding is where it’s at!

15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Is usage% a complete statistical measure that tells you the whole picture of how a player is used? It takes into account team minutes played and team FGA etc in relation to the individual players FG and min etc. Green’s usage number may hover around the other two but my point is how he is utilized in the offense. He shoots a lot of threes (almost half total shots) and perimeter shots. He has been utilized thus far not as the main playmaker on this team.

That distinction goes to KPJ with top of the key dribble drive, high p&r, two man game with Wood, and full reign to create and make plays for this team. While Wood also takes a large share of touches in the post or perimeter. In a lot of sets Green is in the weak side corner or given a pass on the wing with no where to go.

He often dumps the ball to Wood on the wing or post. When he shoots it’s open spot up shots or when he has the lane to drive. He isn’t necessarily looking to penetrate and make plays but instead looks confused, hesitant, and often deferring to the two and even Tate at times. He doesn’t bring the ball up the court for the most part. It’s usually Wood and KPJ and Tate. With the Ignite the other players always deferred to him to make plays. I do believe playing behind KPJ has limited his opportunities combined with his own lack of identity in this offense and hesitancy resulting in deferring to the vets is why we have seen such inconsistent play.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think what you are upset with is his role, not that he's not being force fed shots and minutes. You want him to be a primary ball handler despite the fact that he's terrible at it.

Could keeping the ball in his hands 90% of the time pad his raw scoring stats? Sure, but it would make him even more of a net negative than he already is....and right now he's by far the most detrimental player to the team when he's on the court.

D-rock and NewAge like this.
  17. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yes. When he had his good stretch it was mostly on simple plays: getting the ball on the move or spotups. He cannot create now. Begining of season he was trying to weave and probe the defense and looked pretty bad.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, most of his "good" games are games where he's hot from 3 or when he gets a lot of opportunities to score in transition.

I think his fans see his quick first step and assume he's capable of being a creator, and one day maybe he will be, but right now his first step just gets him blocked at the rim.

D-rock and vator like this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If coming off the bench makes him lose his confidence he does not have much to begin with, this is the NBA, there is no shame coming off the bench as a rookie.

So Sengun should not receive any criticism and coming off the bench will make Green lose confidence.

What the hell is going on these days that people think this is reasonable thought?

#199 jiggyfly, Jan 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    D-rock and NewAge like this.
  20. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

What is coming off the bench going to do for him? Just because he's on a slump doesn't mean he should be benched.... before the slump he was pretty damn good.