1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think when we look back at this draft class a few years down the line, Christopher is the best player the Rockets picked and maybe the best player in the entire draft.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Number 2 picks are a chance to get an all time great player, someone who may be an all star or better - finding guys later in the draft has been pretty consistent here.

JGup and Sengun look like nice decent players, but don't themselves look like anything trending towards great.

I will cheer for Green, as I don't think he is this bad - just going through a rookie slump, but to me, at this point he has a long long way to go. Much further than many taken below him do.

And he is seriously sucking right now, should we just let him play on, bench him, or put him on a short leash - others need to develop too....and they are not sucking so much.

DD

#2362 DaDakota, Jan 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    daywalker02 likes this.
  3. Salvy

Salvy Member

Is it possible that Cleveland may want to move up in the draft still? I mean we still have the number 2 pick Jalen Green and if they throw in something else with Mobley the number 3 I say lets do it and allow Cleveland to move up....

4. i3artow i3aller

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

his shot needs to be fixed first

verysimplejason likes this.
  6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

If there's no one on the court then he doesn't miss. :D

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That would be sublime but a disrespect to his draft class to say it now.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ask Harden, ask Jordan, probably Mobley too.

Number 3s have an equal opportunity to be great and maybe a better chance.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think that is the rookie wall but losing sleep over him developing, I won't be doing any of that.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Houston is still on the lookout for a franchise centerpiece-worthy player

D-rock and Corrosion like this.
  11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

For those worried about his shot, I would point out Kevin Martin's shot which was similar if not worse in the fact that it was very low to the chest. I don't think that's the sole issue holding him back. Shooting is about space, and how you create that space to get a shot off like Reggie Miller that is very high, or Kevin Martin who had a very low shot. Whatever Jalen Green is going to be, I think that only happens in the next two offseasons when he has a chance to work on skills to create shots, or working with coaches in the offseason on offensive sets that get him open shots.

Yes I still want him to get PT this season. It's important to have experience to draw from, but the real growth from Jalen will come in the offseason IMO. Right now what the coaching staff needs to be doing is coaching him to be effective without having an offseason to prepare new sets, and without a preseason and camp to get Jalen comfortable creating offense within those sets. Jalen needs to do things similar to what Chandler Parsons did his rookie year here. Do some of those little things to help the team now. The offseason is where we need to see that growth into a shot creator.

GotGame15 and daywalker02 like this.
  12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

while those are all talented players, that would be one of the worst shooting teams of all-time.

the leading 3pt % on that team is Wood at 36%.

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Not with the defense he was playing last night. JC has a ways to go as well. Par for the course with most rookies, but he shows plenty of upside.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Bro the overall #2 picks here have been listed ad nauseum. Its a slim chance to get an "all time great" let alone a perennial all star. Its even crazier to want to reap the rewards midway through season 1! Criticize his game all you want, but the patience has to be there to allow a teenager to grow both as a man and as a player.

If you want to run around with your hair on fire because of the same issues year 3 then I'll be right there with you, but he's flashed enough to give him a chance without the constant negativity and incessant comparisons to Mobley or anyone else expecting THEM to be better HERE than Green is. We have ourselves a symphony of folly with this franchise that goes well beyond one player.

Corrosion likes this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think JG continues to get minutes because of the effort he is putting in outside of the games. Benching him is not the answer. That being said I would start implementing a rotation where KJM, Sengun, and JG are on the floor at the same time. Run, run, run for fun, fun, fun

i3artow i3aller and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. verysimplejason

That's a terrible release form.

17. marky :)

marky :) Member

To me his form is okay. The problem imo is his base and his legs. They are very inconsistent and I think that stems from his god given leaping ability he never really focused on it. That tweet where he was practicing shooting the ball from the ground shows his lack of consistency with his base when shooting. (I'll have to find the tweet)

18. Rokman

Rokman Member

He said in multiple occasions that's what he is going for. He wants the ROY Award.

NewAge likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, there's always the option of keeping Wall benched for Gordon, then it's just the 3 point shooting upgrade from Green to Mobley.

mikenm268 likes this.
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He will be fine. He's working on the weakest part of his game - off ball skills on both sides of the court - so he's likely to have a tough road and not look good all the time. It's great we're doing this with his game, we could have easily gone another route where we let him dominate the ball a lot immediately, build the team around his weaknesses and have him learn on the fly.

Truth is he showed up way less ready for the NBA than anyone in the world expected, we're practically rebuilding his game from scratch. He gives us so much to work with and he's willing to work hard while being one of the youngest players in the NBA. You have to adjust your perspective. The time he spent in the G League was in a bubble and it was only 20 something games and no fans in attendance. He has responded well and improved steadily, going through a slump right now trying to figure out who he is on offense. He's had great stretches and great games too. He has shown flashes of star quality and if he keeps working hard on defense it's unlikely he won't figure out how to improve defensively.

It's unfortunate he wasn't more ready to start the season but with the improvement he's shown thus far, I can see him making another similar jump in improvement between now and the end of the season and that would be huge for his rookie season. If he just maintains this pace of improvement, his first season will end with a great stretch of games and his rookie season will have been a huge success.

Hope we dump Wood ASAP and force Silas to start Sengun. Would open a lot of shots from shooters and cutters to have Sengun as a second playmaker from the high post.

cmoak1982 likes this.