1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets open to trading John Wall for Russell Westbrook if incentivized

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 21, 2022.

1. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I mean if they're giving us a pick why not? The lakers would have to be pretty dumb to do this though.

2. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Damn Reverend Reeko, you ain't have to go in like THAT...

[​IMG]

3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Yeah right...

No way in HELLLLL Westbrook gets traded mid season to a team that doesn't want to play him at all and he just sits down quietly for the remainder of the season.

That ain't happening.

The guy loves to play and more important than that, the guy loves to stat chase.

He would be running his mouth and causing all kinds of issues.

Stephen_A likes this.
  4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyit.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

Tilman is dumb enough to force the move for westbrick again.

"I was in Europe, and so I was six or seven hours ahead of them. So I’m talking at 2, 3, 4 in the morning. And we just decided to do it. They ran different statistics by me.

My basketball ops [operations] got maybe a little weak at the end, and I just said, ‘We’re doing this. We are going to make the change. We’re going to go after it and roll the dice. We’re going to find that 5 percent."

[​IMG]

amaru, mikol13, Deckard and 3 others like this.
  6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So, RW has the player option (wonder what could be done around that) for next year? Wall expires after next year. The Lakers with a sense of urgency. We sit him. Collect that 1st round pick, maybe a swap too and still are able to deal him as an expiring. What could go wrong? ;)
    Is there that much of a difference with Wall sitting vs Westbrook sitting? What about the Union or the League having issues with that?
    How about Westy's effect on KPjr, Green, JC & Co ?

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

All the more reason the Rockets would likely do it.
    Agree to pay him remainder of this year's salary plus say HALF of next year's salary, reduced by whatever he's ultimately signed for by another team, and buy him out.

8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

WB is the gift that keeps on giving its seem for our franchise. Man is helping stock pile our assets, recovering all the picks we gave up for him

#28 DatRocketFan, Jan 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Big if true.

luckyman76, ThatBoyNick and BigM like this.
  10. JonesDaddy

JonesDaddy Contributing Member

It would go against the front office's seeming desire to appear player-friendly, but I have wondered whether Russ would turn down his option next year if the alternative was being benched for the duration of the deal. Wall seems fine cashing checks, but Russ seems too competitive to let his story end that way.
    Option A: Decline your PO & accept an immediate buyout for the full value of this year's contract. (& get to be a free agent)
    Option B: Be prepared to sit for the next 1.5 seasons.

Player's association would probably get involved, media circus, etc

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lol stein is a substacker now?

luckyman76 and sirjesse like this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

and then echoed by Tilman

amaru likes this.
  13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Bet you he would like that one back at this point

14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Maybe, or he could be like Wall and decline the buyout and go to the Union to complain.

But based on reports Rockets haven't been interested in a buyout either.

15. JayZ750

That's why i said offer him half of next year's salary. If he doesn't want it, you can always say ok, we're fine not playing you.

While at first this might not seem the MOST player friendly, ultimately its super player friendly. Not one else wants him. HOU can "afford" to keep paying him and just not play him, then might get even more value next year at the trade deadline as a HUGE expiring contract. They'd be offering to let him get paid a lot still while getting to chose his next team to his desires.

don grahamleone likes this.
  16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Pass the Russy on the left hand side!

[​IMG]

mikol13, don grahamleone and juanm34 like this.
  17. JayZ750

I think its going to be hard for the Union to push back with an argument that is effectively "no, you can't pay him $40 million and not play him" lol. My response would be "fine, we'll pay him $0 and not play him. The contract says nothing about guaranteed playing time. He can come in and practice. He can dress and sit if he wants, but we have no intention of playing him in NBA games. If his agent can find a deal with another team that makes sense for both parties, we are happy to explore that."

red5rocket and don grahamleone like this.
  18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

it actually makes some sense for both teams. As dumb as it sounds. Wall isn't a huge get for the Lakers but its something, and something that isn't Russel Westbrook. They gotta throw all their chips in now anyway. I'll take picks however we can get em (1st rounders of course). We would be doing them a favor, if its not first rounders Im not interested. Also dont want Talon Horton Tucker lol

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I want this trade so bad, and have him play just one game where Christian Wood throws him into the 3rd row, and spills a beer on him.