1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why isn’t Jalen Green running the offense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jan 15, 2022.

?

Is Silas a good coach?

Poll closed Feb 15, 2022.
  1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. No

66 vote(s)
    79.5%
  1. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Green on the Cavs with Darius Garland looking like an All Star actual real pg who sets people up would be top 3 rookie of the year atleast. Easy lobs, transitions offense and solid defense are things he has but its useless here. The offense and point guard offers nothing to rookies. In order to be good in Silas's offense you have to be a star and very selfish because it offers no easy shots or team play. Its basically just go out there and get pt.

ThatboyPhuong and hakeem94 like this.
  2. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Rookies shoot worse than non rookies, you shouldn't compare the two. 47% is not a bad number for a rookie. It's not a good number, it's not bad, it's near the middle of the pack. If he continued to shoot that badly throughout this career then yeah, he would be a chucker. But there are a lot of elite shooters who had an eFG in the high 40s in their rookie year, even some 50/40/90 guys.

So I get your point, I just don't agree that the results are poor for a rookie. Rookies should be held to a different standard, and by the rookie standard his shooting is average, its middle of the pack.

He's 3rd at 53.1% :)

3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Running the point on this team? You want him to play in China next year? That boy confidence and game would be shot!

harold bingo likes this.
  4. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

There are superstars who have had worse.

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Jalen has hit that rookie wall in my opinion.

Not sure he can sustain the responsibility of running the
    team right now. Maybe next year he will be stronger.

I'm hoping

6. Milos

Milos Member

I doubt anybody on the personnel side has outranked Pop on player acquisition since the 90's

They were constantly losing guys like Presti throughout the dynasty, yet kept on rolling by identifying hidden gems like Parker, Manu and Kawhi

The league is littered with Spurs assistants who went on to become successful head coaches elsewhere too

The constants were Duncan and Pop

Something changed after 2013, and Pop is the only one left from the glory years, so it's hard to point the finger anywhere else but him

They signed Aldridge, drafted Dejounte, traded for DeRozan, but no more titles

I don't even know who the GM is now, but I can't imagine he wasn't hand-picked for the job by Pop
    He wields as much power there as Belichick does in NE

IMO it's obvious he has lost the magic touch that allowed the Spurs to maintain a constant pipeline of new talent on the roster, coaching staff, and front office for 2 decades

He is an undeniable legend, but Father Time is undefeated

Jontro likes this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I haven’t made up my mind, I am just commenting on what I see, under 21, not much to say really.

DD

NewAge and Deckard like this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because he is 19 years old.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

There's nothing to run just faster development for him.

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

silas is one super dumb mother****a!

ThatboyPhuong and Joe Rocket like this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, Green's failures always have to be someone else's fault....

12. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Because he suck at it. So many of his passes is getting intercepted. At first thought because of the spacing with Wood and Theis in the lineup. Now there should be more spacing but still happening. He needs to improve his ball handing skill first because he work on his playmaking skill. His defensive awareness is still bad.

Bobbythegreat, DaDakota and NewAge like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

At the trade deadline he ain't that no more!

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Out of all our ball handlers, Green makes the cleanest and best passes out of the pick and roll.

cheke64 likes this.
  15. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so howbout Mobley on the Rockets?

KPJ
    Garry B/Ego
    Tate/KPJ
    C Wood/Alp
    Mobley/Theis

which team will have more wins?

16. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

And KPJ can?

17. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Mobley would never get the ball. Just use Al p as a guide here. He is actually better than mobley at posting up.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is no use to play that game - we took Green - some of us wanted Mobley, and nothing has changed in that regard, but we have Green and as a Rocket I hope Green becomes the next MJ.

DD

Milos likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You realize that MJ is MJ because he was the only one doing what he did.

Not even LBJ got close.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  20. xaos

xaos Member

I think I get the spirit of OP, but Rockets should maximize Green's possessions where he can use his strength - his elite quickness, specifically his elite first step.

Green isn't projected to be the guy who "runs the team". He may end up being the best player and possess the most important skill in the NBA -- being able to create a bucket. But, that's very different than running the team. He isn't ready and throwing him to the wolves isn't how he becomes ready. It would be like asking him to rim protect because he can jump high then getting upset because he isn't developing.

His playmaking on 3 vs 3 play is already ahead of schedule, but in order to be a point you really need to understand all 5 guys on the court. Let him develop that in small doses, while giving him opportunities to score in bigger doses.

Green has gotten a good amount of opportunity to develop. I do think the offense puts him in the corner too much, but that might be by design too. We have to make decisions on Wood and KPJ sooner than Green, which was documented earlier in the year. I would imagine if we let go of KPJ, Wood, and Gordon it'll be a "hand the keys to Green" moment for the remainder of the season. We'll end up being worse, but it would be with the primary goal of developing the player who has the most upside on our team, Green. After that, we either draft Smith/Chet/Banchero and pick up a PG or we draft Ivey and pick up another big. But, Green will likely need a PG playing next to him for his career, even if he improves significantly at creating plays for others.