1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did the Rockets do the right thing with Wood and Porter jr?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jan 4, 2022.

?

Did the Rockets do the right thing by suspending them and trying to rehab their value?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2022.
  1. Yes

75 vote(s)
    63.0%
  2. No

44 vote(s)
    37.0%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The word fan, is short for fanatics, and the way we discuss and argue around here I would say that fits.

We are all passionate about the Rockets, and we are unafraid of sharing our opinions and in fact standing up for them in discussions with others.

However, that doesn't make us part of the Rocket's org, and they have to act without passion in some instances, take a longer view, and do what they believe is right for the overall team.

We are dealing with incomplete information, just small snippets of reported stuff, but we don't know what was said, what the entire thing was about, how it all went down, nothing - we are on the outside looking in.

The Org realizes that they want to get value out of Wood and Porter either as players or in a future transaction/trade. If they cut Porter and trade Wood while his value is low, they don't maximize their return - which is Stone's job, he can't get passionate, he has to think logically.

So, they suspended them 1 game each, and will welcome them back trying to rehabilitate the situation and rebuild their value.

So, what do you guys think now? Do you think it was the right thing?

Yes - they are doing the right thing for the org
    No - they should have dealt with it and cut out the cancer now

Let's see where Clutchfans stands.

DD

DCHAMP, roslolian and groovemachine like this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Not many teams are gonna want players with attitude problems. It's really on them to shape up before they're shipped out...if they want a good location.

So why not let them stick around till deadline.

It'll get real awkward if nothing happens by then...

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Wood was already shopped, now he's going to be more shopped. What else can you do at this point anyway, you need his trade value up, it's not like we are anywhere near contending. I am guess he's going to be gone sooner than later. I understand why they didn't want to make a big deal out of it, especially for someone that is not in their future plans.

The KPJ situation is a tricky one, with his history, how many second chances does he realistically have. Maybe the Rockets have bigger tolerance since they knew exactly who they were getting, and they have chosen to baby him knowing all the risks. They most likely expected blowups like this when we traded for him, and this is just a normal road bump. What would be interesting to see is if he blows up again, then what.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

1 game suspension for KPJr is a huge joke

Idk when doing all the stuff he just did warrants 1 measly game. Dude literally left the arena mid-game without permission…

KPJr should’ve got 4 games, and Wood 2

u can not extend someone as volatile as KPJr when he’s not even a good player…u let him hit RFA, and if he fcks up again between now and RFA, u either cut him or when free agency comes, don’t even bother to try and match, Idc how small the contract is

jdhi, Landsdale, GotGame15 and 11 others like this.
  5. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Let me be the first fanatic to cast a nay vote.

upload_2022-1-4_10-27-53.gif

DeBeards likes this.
  6. Milos

Milos Member

We took a couple of low risk fliers and tried to polish up a couple of turds
    Time to flush em and move on

Let's sell high on EGo while we're at it
    Keep Wall and Theis nailed to the bench

Let the young core grow together without the selfish agendas and outbursts

I wanna see Green, Sengun, Tate, Christopher, Garuba, KJ, Armoni, Garry become the 8-man rotation we ride to another top3 lotto pick rest of the season

7. a time to chill

I agree with what they did but I think when they come back they should come off the bench. I still think it's smart to put John Wall in as starting PG and let KPJ back him up. KPJ will have ample opportunity to improve by the season's end and demonstrate that he is emotionally maturing. Rockets can start to get value out of Wall and maybe entice someone to trade for him; even though that's probably unlikely because his contract makes it impossible for many teams to take him on. I think playing John Wall is better than having him sit on the bench for two years.

C Wood needs to be traded by the deadline and we should get a defensive player in return for him and possibly a first-round pick. Until then he should come off the bench for Theis. Even though Theis sucks on offense, his defensive presence is more valuable to the Rockets right now than Wood's 3 point shooting. I just don't ever want to see him jacking up so many 3 pt shots like he did last night.

8. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Like you said, our opinions are based on leaked snippets and our own belief system on matters of accountability within an organization, so we should trust the Rockets handled it properly.

DaDakota likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not care that much about poll results but let me say this one.

The Rockets have to think hard and long about the next guy that is walking thru the door as they have not been equipped to deal well with those player types and mental issues.

10. dmoneybangbang

It would be shortsighted to release them or trade them immediately. I think their chances of being on this team past this season are significantly down.

Patience likes this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Theis has to start hitting a few threes to give him minutes, otherwise, he is a lane clogger. Same thing with Sengun. That is why it is so important for him to become an adequate 3 point shoot. I am hopeful that these two guys have hit rock bottom and come out ballin. No way should the organization just cut bait. We are lottery bound anyway, let’s see how they react.

Patience and GotGame15 like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Rockets are trying to punish the conventional way after they acquired unconventional players to gain an edge over their competition.

Being a unconventional fanatic, I question everything but I give the organization credit for not giving up.

My inner demon said cut them!

#12 daywalker02, Jan 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    groovemachine likes this.
  13. juanming

juanming Member

Leopard can't change its spots

Rehab won't work with these fools

Only one option: electric chair

aaquaa likes this.
  14. a time to chill

I disagree. Theis doesn't need to shoot 3 pointers. We have that with Wood and are still losing games. We need him to be a presence in the paint - defending, rebounding, blocking, capitalizing on putback opportunities, setting screens, etc. If he can do that he'll create more 3 point shot opportunities for the guards on the perimeter.

aaquaa likes this.
  15. Lemonte

Lemonte Member

They should of made KPJ feel that more in his bank account. Wood? Not sure what to do with him. He's too skinny to be a serious presence in the paint. He can't shoot free throws. He has an attitude problem. Nobody else really wants him. Maybe his game will even out playing next to Paolo Banchero.

aaquaa and daywalker02 like this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

we’ve got to get rid of Wood…somebody will take him in a trade, he has value despite his attitude issues

17. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Kpj: He’s still on the team so, no.

Wood: there will be a deal somewhere…can’t wait until he’s gone.

Patience and aaquaa like this.
  18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

They are prolonging the inevitable, Porter Jr is a head case and always will be. You start him and he burned the coaching staff. If you pay him big $$$, he’ll burn the whole organization down by poisoning the 4 new building blocks you just drafted. Sometimes you just gotta flush the stench and move on.

Wood probably was always going to be traded but cemented an accelerated timeframe. Either way, these two have to go and the Rockets are kidding themselves believing otherwise.

I’m not sold on Silas either, I believe a stronger, more experienced hand should be brought in. I would love to see a Mark Jackson get a second run. IMHO.

aaquaa likes this.
  19. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Nah, just release and trade brah

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So the level headed thing to do was cut them both right? For what to save face? The last place team in the NBA with a crap owner, a placeholder coach and a team compiled of teenagers and young players needed to flex and save face?

Scoot lost his cool and turned into a brat. Showed his immaturity and allowed his emotions to spill over. At least he was giving it 100% while on the floor prior to whatever it was that set him off. He can learn from this moment and hopefully move past it. So many guys making claims of certainty about his status just shows they dont know what mental health issues look like in real life.

Wood just gave up on his team. He laughed and joked while they were getting slapped around. Thats a lack of integrity and professionalism and a "me first" attitude that destroys teams and leads to the dysfunction you see. A cancer that will only grow as you see the animosity brew from the youngsters on how they view the "veteran".

I'll take the young guy who made his first emotional mistake on this team and can learn from it over a chickenshit quitter any day of the week.

joshuaao, Xopher, Bo6 and 2 others like this.