1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I used awesome in the technical sense of the term, not the popular sense. "causing feelings of fear and wonder : causing feelings of awe"

see also:
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/awesome#note-1

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Covid is about to be over as a major threat, if not over as a pandemic.

Omicron is really the end of the current run. It's a lot less likely to kill you, now being shown to be milder than the flu and it spreads lightening fast. While this will put a strain on hospitals, it's going to finally usher in herd immunity to COVID-19. Part of the reason its so transmissible is because it infects the upper airways vs the lower ones - and that has the flipside of making it less deadly.

Hopefully Omicron crowds out the other variants and becomes the main one, and we can treat the disease like we do the flu.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

4. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

geez, next thing we know you'll be voting for Trump :p

5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

that's an awesome comment

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  6. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

I'm not sure if it is true, just like i'm not sure if the assertions Major made about viral load difference between catching covid from an unvaccinated vs vaccinated person are true. FWIW here is a lancet article that states peak viral load is the same (for Delta) for unvaccinated vs vaccinated carriers:

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Ha, I'm sure Trump will scream that he was right in the end. Of course nevermind that 700,000 Americans had to die of the disease to get to this point. We got really lucky with Omicron.

8. Gioan Baotixita

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opini...dation-sadly-didn-t-come-shock-my-ncna1286540

Uh oh...one and done, there is no do over. For a lot of you vaccine worshipers in here, at least ask the injector to aspirate when you’re getting your boosters. You would want the vaccine to hit your muscles and not your veins. You will never know, you might ended up with a heart condition or some blood clots if that vaccine hits you directly in your bloodstream.

You’re welcome.

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

perhaps Trump is exercising (or at least attempting to exercise) some of the leadership he should have demonstrated on Jan 6.

Perhaps someone advised him that if he's serious about 2024 he needs to start acting more like a "statesman" than the petulant child he has been for the past 2 or 4 or 6 years

10. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

I don't really disagree with this, but at this point this is mainly just hopeful thinking. I was really just trying to point out that specifically demonizing unvaccinated individuals because they are unvaccinated doesn't really make a lot of logical sense. If they choose to live a risky lifestyle and then transmit it to someone vulnerable then i agree with it. If a vaccinated individual chooses to live a risky lifestyle and then transmits it to vulnerable people without making their lifestyle choices known, then i'd agree with demonizing them for that as well.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

That's what I was thinking. He's now using the exact strategy that he should have used last year. Show empathy... emphasize the speed at which the vaccines were developed and waltz to an easy win

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Or perhaps he's a malignant narcissist that isn't capable of being anything but a petulant child, and that he will always seek power at all costs. I will be that once the spotlight is back on him, the old Trump returns.

Republicans hopefully will wake up and realize you don't need a Trump to beat a Biden, in fact, Trump is the one candidate Biden can and would beat.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Simply put, their time is up.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'm trying to figure out Trump's angle as to why he's all of a sudden praising the vaccine and it must be that he's thinking about 2024. He wants to win those independents who voted against him and are turned off by the antivax movement.

His political strategy will be saying that things weren't as bad for you under me, and also I created the vaccine. Hoping that they'll forget all the horrific things he did as President. He knows that the antivaxx people who are mad at him now will still vote for him in 2024, he's just trying to gain independents.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I mean the data coming out now is that it is indeed far less milder with a 97-99% less likelihood of an infected person being hospitalized, which would put it as less deadly than even the flu in terms of how likely it is to kill you if you get it.

The difference is that it's far more contagious than the flu.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I had a hunch the real intent here was to defend those people that chose to not vaccinate themselves for mostly political reasons. The effort to suggest the science was confusing, and the healthy lifestyle deflection (gee, we need to force people to exercise more and eat healthier foods").

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

That doesnt mean what you think it does

19. NewRoxFan

As usual, not a peer reviewed study.

20. NewRoxFan

But... we don't go out to dinners (we are diets so prefer to prepare meals at home, and only occasionally bring meals home to eat). When we do go to stores we always wear masks. We haven't been to a movie or other performance venue since COVID started.

btw, my wife's brother and sister-in-law do choose to note wear masks unless required. They think COVID-19 is some sort of government plot to control people. They also believe other Q stuff. Maybe just a coincidence, but they (and now their older son) are the only people in our immediate family to get COVID. And also keep in mind, we asked them to not visit here because their son tested positive after flying to Amarillo to visit them.