1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

FDA authorized the first covid antiviral pill, paxlovid, for emergency use yesterday.

From 11-29-21

https://morningconsult.com/2021/11/29/covid-antiviral-pills-data/

Fifty-four percent of unvaccinated adults said they wouldn’t take antiviral pills if they got COVID-19 and a doctor recommended it…

• The findings indicate providers could hit roadblocks getting the easy-to-take oral treatment to the patients it could help most, given federal data showsunvaccinated people are significantly more likely to be hospitalized with COVID-19 than those who are fully vaccinated.
    • Meanwhile, the Biden administration bought 10 million courses of Pfizer Inc.’s antiviral treatment Paxlovid ahead of regulatory clearance, with Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra saying it will “help accelerate our path out of this pandemic by offering another life-saving tool for people who get sick with COVID-19.”

No Worries likes this.
  2. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

What does this have to do with what I said or who I responded to? Transmission seems to be roughly double that of delta and transmission is what we were discussing, so why are you quoting me and talking about severity? Me being vaccinated doesn’t effect the severity of disease you would get if you got COVID from me. You personally being vaccinated would effect your personal severity of COVID, which is the entire point of the vaccine despite how badly and inconsistently that has been communicated by both health and government officials.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Some UK reports say this could be false.

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What are the odds that omicron spreads in China? Supposedly their vaccine is completely ineffective against it.

5. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I think China is in a lot of trouble with Omicron. If the report that even 3 doses of Sinovac is inadequate is true then China will either have to lockdown major cities at a drop of a hat or deal with massive hospitalization all over the country.

I doubt the winter Olympics will happen in Xi'an in a few weeks. It'll probably be pushed back.

Didn't a Chinese company partner with BioNTech to produce mRNA vaccines? China should vaccinated with mRNA as soon as possible.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Only my older daughter (Moderna), my younger daughter (J&J), her fiancé (J&J), my wife's mother and stepdad (Pfizer), and my wife and I (Pfizer). We have been watching church services on-line since very few wear masks. We were going to attend Christmas Eve service since its outside but we are now thinking we may watch online.

My wife's brother and sister-in-law would be in direct contact with my wife's parents since they typically stay with them (her parents live three blocks from us). So the risk of direct contact with the 90 year olds and my oldest daughter would be an unacceptable risk.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this is awesome

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

looking forward to a winter of illness and death

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Lmao. I've been locked up in the room for 4 days straight only to find out my other 2 kids have it and been running around the house freely. That Christmas party is not happening.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Look who suddenly is concerned about African Americans in DC. And all to help spread COVID-19.

13. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Polluting the ocean is never good, but masks are just a tiny fraction of plastic waste being dumped in the ocean. According to OceansAsia, they estimated that 1.56 billion masks went into the ocean in 2020, accounting for about 6000 tons of plastic waste. That's 6000 tons of waste out of about 10 million tons of plastic that enter the ocean each year. That's 0.06%.

Strengthening environmental laws will do vastly more for the environment than to demonize masks.

https://oceansasia.org/covid-19-facemasks/

14. Major

Major Member

What makes you believe that? The vaccines reduce the ability of the virus to replicate. If you are vaccinated, you have - and thus shed - less virus particles than if you weren't. And that means if FranchiseBlade got Covid from a vaccinated version of you, he'd likely breathe in less virus than otherwise. And since he's vaccinated, that gives his body more time to fight the virus before it makes him sick.

All of these things are connected - it's not either/or. You being vaccinated makes you less likely to get sick and also makes you shed less virus to others (making others less likely to contract it, or if they do, makes them get less of it).

Rashmon likes this.
  15. Pringles

Pringles Member

Ah - this is helpful. I imagined the testing options would improve after Biden became president.

Sam's Club sells a two-pack of Binax for $14.00 if you can find them in stock.

16. Madano

I don't think it is even possible to have a study done to support the claim you are making. The viral load a person takes in would be dependent on so many factors that it seems entirely infeasible to determine. How many breaths did the infected person take? How many times did they cough? How deeply did they breathe/exhale? What percentage of the virus take hold in the newly infected person?

Also, based on your argument, it seems that an unvaccinated person would have a much better chance of knowing they are sick as opposed to a vaccinated person. If the severity of the disease is linked to viral load and the unvaccinated have a higher viral load, I would expect for the unvaccinated to have visible symptoms of the disease sooner/more obviously than a vaccinated person.

All of the communication has moved away from treating the vaccines as something that prevents transmission. I actually think it is incredibly dangerous and misleading to suggest that they do. Like you said, the vaccine protects the person who gets the vaccine. If you are concerned about the disease being spread to those more vulnerable to the disease, then vaccination status should be an extremely small factor in that decisions. If an unvaccinated person only goes to the grocery store and home and a vaccinated person goes to the store, movies, and home, I would be more comfortable with the unvaccinated person being around my elderly family members. Individual habits should be investigated long before vaccination status if transmission is the concern.

17. Madano

The point I was trying to make was really just that the concern was transmission. And if that is the concern, then the habits of the person matter way more than vaccination status when considering whether to expose yourself/others to them. If an unvaccinated person only goes to the grocery store and home and avoids eating out or going to the movies but a vaccinated person goes to the grocery store, movies, and eats out indoors, which would you be more willing to allow near elderly family members?

18. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Is that actually true? I thought symptoms associated with viruses are signs of an active immune system. If your immune system fails to activate, the virus has more time to replicate and enter more cells throughout the body.

I would think a vaccinated person would show signs of symptoms earlier and reduce the incubation period. Would that be one of the reasons why Omicron has a lower incubation time?

Invisible Fan likes this.
  19. Gioan Baotixita

All true except for the microchip....maybe, maybe no?

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure how it's awesome but it certainly has falsitie in it. Masks do work. The people who say they don't know much about statistics.

No Worries likes this.