1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen is our best player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 10, 2021.

1. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!! funny but true!!!

[​IMG]

BallSoHarden and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

You seem at least reasonable so I'll try to explain it to you rather than being dismissive. I agree that he is more than a nice player but I have to continue to challenge the assertion that he is going to be a Rocket for the next 6+years(which would be our commitment if we signed him after his current contract). We did well to sign him to a good contract and see him improve since then - no complaints here. He is an amazing value at his current contract rate for what he does but he has a year and half left on that contract and if he maintains the same stats, he will most certainly be asking for a max contract. You should ask yourself how much would a Christian Wood Max contract look like? The answer is around $41mill/ a year. Do you like Christian Wood enough to consider paying him as much as prime Harden, Curry, Wall, Lebron, or Westbrook make now? The stats tell the story of a productive statistical player but let's be clear - Wood's effort has not been consistent this year and we are still one of the very worst teams in the league despite how good you think he is so are you REALLY willing to potentially fork out 35% of our salary cap to a player who's stats don't necessarily translate to wins?

He may get $40mil/year or he may not but he WILL likely get something that puts him in the ballpark of one of the 15 highest paid players in the league - and I don't think he is anywhere close to being one of the 15 best players and that's a problem because with the way Jalen Green and KPJ have struggled, we don't necessarily have our franchise cornerstone piece yet so why would we commit so much of our cap space to a player who may not be a good fit with whomever our franchise cornerstone will be? Look at it like this:

A.) in a room full of mostly rookies, isn't a leader on his own team
    B.) his stats don't necessarily translate to wins nor does he make those around him better
    C.) he would be paid like a top 15 or 20 player in the league at worst on his next contract...and he still isn't even an All Star or All NBA player
    D.) because of his age, he likely won't improve that much more from where he is over the next year (which is a very good player)

...again - he is a good player and if you have a franchise cornerstone and think you are one stretch 4 away from contending - then Wood is definitely your guy - maybe that's Portland, the Bulls, Jazz, Clippers, Hornets, Griz, etc....but that's not Houston's position right now which is why I advocate for trading him...the reality is we will have a high lotto pick next year and the draft will be full of guys with very similar skill sets to Wood. I like Sengun potential much more than Woods, but I don't think we will ever be good enough defensively or as rebounders with those two players as our bigs. Also, the reason we won't get a legit star for Wood is his contract is so cheap right now that he would have to go out with either Eric Gordon or John Wall to be able to match salaries without sending a bazillion players. The only big name I could see us landing would be CJ McCollum for Gordon and Wood but obviously that would impact Green's development and I would hope we aren't giving up on him yet. Otherwise, ever other big name who would potentially be available would come with big question marks - Ben Simmons, Kyrie Irving, Jamal Murray, etc.

No disrespect to Wood at all - he's just more valuable to us a trade chip right now on a good contract knowing that he is probably not our long term solution but he CAN be a long term solution for another team who can clear out $13 million to acquire him now and are okay going into the luxury cap to resign him later on when they are a clear cut contending team.

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

if ego were to play 15 minutes a night you wouldnt have recognize him... and 1 on 1 alperen would have destroyed him

passing and basketball iq i wouldnt even begin to mention

its alpi AND ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE
    the only thing ego has over alpi is silas..... who is holding him back

PeterKingX, aaquaa and wlekfjv923n like this.
  4. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

ok enough with the nonsense. Hes on the way, but you cant be our best player and pass up a wide open 3 pointer because you know its not a good shot. Its eric gordon by far, hes an elite 2 way guard who can switch everything, one of the best perimeter defenders in the league, and can play the 1-3 on offense, and one of the best shooters in the league. Once we trade him we are instantly a lottery team. Alpi would destroy him one on one??? Ummmm how is that possible when eg would be hitting threes and alpi would score two.

5. jacoby

jacoby Member

They give Sengun's steals and rebounds to other guys. I've seen it happen consistently this season. Sengun's strip on Kevin Love was rewarded to KJ.

aaquaa likes this.
  6. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Didn't foul out or seem to have any issues with his conditioning

7. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

So Lucas sh*ts on Sengun too.
    What's he trying to do - play the wise old coach who has seen'em all?

jcmoon and AroundTheWorld like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun is basically the only reason to watch this team

Ankara1923, aaquaa, CXbby and 6 others like this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it’s a little suspect.
    Hasn’t came out and condemned Green at all and he might be the worst defender in the league.

10. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Are y’all just going to completely ignore the fact that Lucas was subbing as a head coach and doesn’t face postgame press conferences? His job is developing players and he’s one of the most respected coaches by players across the league to the point that stars pay him for coaching in the offseason. This response by Rockets fans is so soft.

J.R. likes this.
  11. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Thad Young is obviously the surprise; I guess he got off to a hot start?</p>&mdash; Kostya Medvedovsky (@kmedved) <a href="">December 16, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ankara1923 and aaquaa like this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

What’s soft is pampering one rookie and chastising another as a “respected coach”

Ankara1923, aaquaa, CXbby and 2 others like this.
  13. {icebox425}

{icebox425} Member

Anyone have any insights into Sengun's personality? With his talent, the only thing I see that has the potential to ruin him is if he gets a big head.

14. bobloblaw

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Did he say that to the media?
    Or in practice?

Also, Lucas might want to actually look at the numbers.

16. Bo6

Bo6 Member

normally i would agree with you. but Wood was out and Theis started over Sengun despite playing so well lately. this leads credence to that the coaching staff does not favor sengun.

aaquaa, hakeem94 and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. varughese.arun

EXACTLY!!! I agree w everything you said. Trade C. Wood.

18. bobloblaw

This was observed by the media as part of an expose on Lucas coaching Green. Lucas is a hard ass, much more so than Silas, so if we had him coaching games Green actually played in you would get similar quotes.

“I am being told all the time, ‘Coach, you can’t be too hard on [Green],'” Lucas says later. “I’m talking about, ‘I am not hard enough,’ because I see the potential. Everyone has a different way of loving somebody.

“My love for him is not praising his ass, but to keep a foot in it”

Edit—copied from weird foreign mistranslation

#318 bobloblaw, Dec 15, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Did he say it to the media in postgame interview?
    And did he flat out lie about the player to the media?

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Good luck finding another player that does what C. Wood can do for this team.

hakeem94 likes this.