1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Atlantic] Are we doomed?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Dec 7, 2021.

?

Doomed?

1. Scenario 1 - rage, armed conflicts

2. Scenario 2 - widespread cynicism

3. Your own scenario

4. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

More likely the lack of air, food, water, heat not to mention exposure to radiation - will all likely get them first.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Science > politics
    I know that’s not the case for this section but it’s obviously true
    While losers try to get Dave chappelle canceled
    Smart people are trying to advance the human race

3. tinman

Supporting Member

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I agree. I think there will be growing cynicism (we are already quite cynical) but I don't think the population will just give up. A segment wouldn't even know what happened. A segment will give up. A segment will protest. A segment will fight.

If there is a clear-cut winner (very low chance) or Trump win (good chance), there would not be any election crisis.

The other scenarios can lead to an election crisis - from one to a few states overturning their result to overturning the election. It would of course be done on "constitutional" legal ground and a good segment (30ish % who don't vote, probably a majority of true independent) wouldn't even notice a problem. The left would be left to angry protests and probably a good number of them eventually surrender to a realization that it's too late - votes don't count. There will be an attempt to mobilize and try to win back local elections.

We might no longer have that chance once an election is overturned by political power.

When I looked into these polls, I believe it wasn't so clear. The question could easily be interpreted as threat to democracy today (instead of future). Naturally, if interpreted as today, Dem would say no and Rep would say yes. And naturally while Trump was president, the result was the very opposite.

Most people are too busy with their daily lives to worry about politics or elections. So, no, I don't think the hard work will be done. Scenario 3 is not likely at all. The Republican base is much more motivated to undo their perceived unjust election.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

You're not wrong. We are barrelling towards a doomsday scenario in 2024 where democracy in America is basically over. Not just rules lawyering shenanigans, but full blown "we do not give a **** about or trust the voting process, we have completed all the necessary steps to shape the government in our image by fiat, and so we will, and if you don't like it then you will have to take up arms to stop us".

My personal take is that things will get worse before they get better. For the sake of my kids I hate to say that, but it's truly how I feel. I don't know how bad it has to get before people turn their eyes toward to the source of this dysfunction instead of tilting at partisan windmills and cultural totems. I have to stop thinking about it sometimes or I get too depressed.

Amiga likes this.
  6. tinman

Supporting Member

No way I’m optimistic
    At the rate of advancement of technology we might finally have artificial intelligence powerful enough to win wars, harvest crops and diagnose and resolve illness
    Plus Texas and OU in the SEC

7. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Settle down GPT-3, you might pass the Turing test once you stop blowing your masters.

Phillyrocket and Invisible Fan like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This topic makes me think of how willing China's people are with lesser rights as long as they feel safe, well fed, and relevant. It's the Singapore model that rose from the ashes of destitute poverty from WW2 and a larger potentially threatening neighbor.

We can easily veer into a president like Trump or a Populist Despot who promises Security and Greatness at the expense of our own civil rights. It just takes a prolonged outage of power or resources coupled with a hidden and potentially terrifying threat to rattle us into a fear ridden state.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

There's lots of countries in the world bro.
    People can move too, we have feet. And now we have airplanes and electric cars and trucks.

If you think you are stuck in one place in your mind, you will be stuck in one place.

People are moving to safer places. People are going to places where they think the quality of life is better and people are better.

Let's look at the Police.
    Lots of police have moved from a city where they are hated and get paid crap, to new cities that are the opposite.

Same with the Criminals.

Oh this city has dumb laws and have less cops?
    great! they can smash and rob and loot and kill at will!

10. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Likely, this is not true. Chinese people have no choice between lesser rights and feeling safe because of one party system. Before Xi' control, China was ok even with a party system, relationship with Hongkong seemed to fine. Only one personnel change on the top can change everything, the same thing could go to USA if Trump is going to be elected again at 2024. USA could be totally different from today.

11. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Not everyone can move to safer places, you have to be highly educated or rich people to move to a better place. Are you talking about moving in USA only? Or different countries?

12. tinman

Supporting Member

Anywhere
    You can definitely move from an expensive place to a cheaper place. It’s probably necessary.

The most extreme case is I know people who left Los Angeles to Mexico