1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix TV Series] Cowboy Bebop (Live Action)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Nov 28, 2018.

1. clos4life

clos4life Member

Maybe world weary is not the right word, but not a hot headed youth. I definitely think John Cho is the better Spike of the two I've seen. Either way, watch it yourself (or not). For me, personally, not having any nostalgia for the original show and watching them almost alternating, I've liked the live adaptation better. Feel free to feel different.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, Spike does make questionable choices, but he has his reasons. So far, seems similar in tone to me to the original show.

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How can you not have any nostalgia for the original?

Yeah, I am gonna give it a try just not liking what I am hearing and seeing.:(

3. clos4life

clos4life Member

I didn't watch the original until just now. I know, criminal, it's been on my to watch list for many years.

4. edwardc

edwardc Member

give it a try so far i'm liking it. :)

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The cast grew on me. Except plastic Julia.

Funny edit- the theme song came on in the other room as I was typing this. My wife was giving the original a rewatch.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I watched 1 episode and I am not so out on spike as I thought but I am not liking the tone but the space visuals are great.

I will reserve judgment until the end.

I will say they got Fay all wrong.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I like this show…

but ultimately I fall asleep every night while watching it. Maybe one episode in maybe one and a half. Something about the pacing just makes me sleepy.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Probably the jazz.

9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

:D I'm still chuckling.

daywalker02 and Xerobull like this.
  10. marky :)

marky :) Member

Watched the first episode and couldn't get through it. The settings and costume designs are great but any time there's any dialogue I'm immediately taken out of the atmosphere and wondering who wrote this.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

4 eps in. Still not liking Faye's portrayal, but I remember her starting off as a sultry sexpot in the anime, so I guess they didn't go that route. Meh on John Cho and thumbs up for Spike. The two play well off each other though. Vicious...he and spike aren't as cool blooded but will see where it goes.

The look and feel is pretty good. They really tried to make the live action feel like the anime.

Dialogue is very mindless like the anime. This show switches between laugh track comedy and serious overacted sci-fi.

It's not bad for a 1st season, but I don't think I can watch more than 2 eps at a time.

#91 Invisible Fan, Nov 30, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    jiggyfly likes this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't remember Faye ever being a sexpot she just dressed provocatively but I could be misremembering.

I think they tried too hard to make it look like the anime its too slapstick IMO.

13. Invisible Fan

I remember her shifting between her charms and being a capable operator. Actress seems a bit of a goofball that fits better with the comedy bits.

Still entertaining and different than whatever else we got out there. Too many serious shows in that thin genre.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Finally finished and liked it. Give it a 7.7 for a first season.

The style is pretty consistent, so if you like the first three, the rest are more or less watchable.

Some moments where the backgrounds looked low budget, but nothing worse than you'd watch on TV and will likely get better over time and feel. Still mixed on Faye but that'll likely get better.

The fight scenes might look a little slow, but I'll take choreographed fights over zip cuts and shaky cam angles.

Good trashy sci fi replacement for Altered Carbon, the show Netflix prob shifted its budget to this one.

15. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

I couldn't get through the first episode. Action scenes and dialogue cringe worthy. Pass for me.

16. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

I liked it much better than I thought I was going to based on initial critical reviews. 6.5/10. John Cho was just fine as Spike.

Ed is ****ing Jar Jar though. Not looking forward to more of him or her next season.

It's been 15-20 years since I last saw the anime. Need to rewatch it again for comparison.

17. clos4life

clos4life Member

Altered Carbon season 1 was so great, average season 2 ruined the show but they could have corrected course on season 3.

Oh well, we'll never know what could have been.

daywalker02 and Invisible Fan like this.
  18. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’d like to apologize for dismissing this show after the first episode. This was a really good show. Glad I went back and gave it another shot.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Ah, I also dismissed it after the 1st eps. Going to give it another shot.

CCorn and Invisible Fan like this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Interesting.

This just moved up some notches on my wait list.