1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts on Ryan Hollins as commentator so far?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dash, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

The duality of man.

2. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I'm enjoying the changes, adding Hollins. Also the halftime show with Calvin had good energy as well, I would use that format every so often.

saleem likes this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

His enthusiasm feels fake a LOT, but he tries. I was laughing out loud at his "oh lord no" comments during boneheaded plays in the 4th, and I think this Hornets broadcast had some of the most insightful color commentary of any Rockets game in a few years.

dmoneybangbang, JW86 and Patience like this.
  4. JazzLakerHater

He’s ok, but I just feel no connection to him. I feel like his excitement sounds fake at times.

It’s not his fault. I just don’t get why we couldn’t find anyone who wore the Rockets uniform.

conquistador#11 and withmustard like this.
  5. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

The term "try hard" comes to mind

6. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

At first I thought he was okay in a breath of fresh air kind of way. But as if late, I’m tired of hearing him.

7. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Off topic, but he is giving good insights on Spaces right now

a time to chill likes this.
  8. crenshaw

crenshaw Member

Id take matt over him any given day. Last night, kept mentioning that the tight game was good for the young rockerts - when in fact only KPJ is the non vet closing out the game.

And the way he insisted that the KPJ FT miss was better than sealing the game w a 4pt lead was a million times dumb.

Bottomline, he isnt homer enough or a respectable NBA player enough for my taste.

tries to hard to sell highlights. I can live with his bigman bias, but id rather hear from HOF drexler types than him.

9. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

One time he said “un-conscience” instead of “unconscious.”

10. napalm06

Holy cow, you should write to the network

OkayAyeReloaded and harold bingo like this.
  11. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

He is not sharp last night when Houston had a chance to put the game away all they had to do is hit both free throws to make it a 4 point game with less than a half second to go. When Porter missed one he said that was smart HUH they would have been up by 4 points with less than a second game over.

What happen to Matt Bullard ? I used to like him. My all time favorite was Calvin Murphy and Bill Worrell.

banzai likes this.
  12. napalm06

Bullard is now on the team scouting staff I believe.

I'm lukewarm to Bullard, funny and a big homer, but incredibly repetitive. We saw everything we'll ever see from Matt.

saleem likes this.
  13. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Drexlerisms I miss laughing at it

14. JW86

JW86 Member

He needs to stay who he is, unless the calm, collected side was him being uncomfortable and settling in. It sure does feel his enthusiasm is at least influenced by Craig’s radio overexcited reactions. It’s almost like having two Craig’s en Hollins voice has even changed.

15. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Agree, feels like he’s trying too hard. Things like the “silas challenge” and missing the free throw on purpose (with a 3 pt lead last night at end of game) feel extremely fake and stupid. He has a good voice and would be fine if he cuts all the $&@ kissing and just trys to be himself.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Daniel Theis of broadcasters…

Milos likes this.
  17. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I already did (I called immediately after I heard it). They apologized and sent me an autographed photo of Kevin Eschenfelder.

AroundTheWorld, treyk3 and napalm06 like this.
  18. conquistador#11

I wouldn't say fake but more like when your aunt or tio decide to watch an Astros game with you when they haven't seen 1 game all year. Their emotions/ reactions are real but you just roll your eyes because theyre not remotely invested as you are.

I enjoy Hollins' "Ok.."

JazzLakerHater and napalm06 like this.
  19. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Honestly he’s not bad at all. He’s obviously giving a different style than Bullard. But I’m not gonna get nit picky. He’s been solid.

20. a time to chill

I'm beginning to like Hollis as a color commentator. He makes mistakes but he also provides some good insight during the game. I also think he and Craig Ackerman are developing good chemistry.

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.