1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I like Matijevic and think he is underrated but I will be shocked if he is taken in the Rule 5 this year. Prospects who are limited defensively and strike out a lot are rarely selected. I agree he is a potential replacement for Gurriel or as a lefty bench bat after next season. I expect him to have a big year in AAA.

Papierski and Diaz are the 2 most likely position players to be selected. I will be very very surprised if any others are chosen.

There’s a bunch of pitchers who probably interest teams. Macuare and Taveras are the two I think could come back and make Click look bad for leaving exposed.

2. raining threes

The Stros are going to lose some talent Diaz is most likely gone. Young catchers that can hit are worth their weight in gold. I also think there's a good chance Matijevic, Macuare/Conine get picked as well.

3. HTown2017Champs

Macuare, especially after his performance in the AFL, is definitely at risk of being taken. JP France is the other pitcher who I think could be not only taken but also stick. Especially on a rebuilding club that doesn't have much pitching and/or wants to keep their top prospects down in AAA to develop (and potentially for service time purposes if not addressed in the CBA). He showed some real promise in AAA, and at least could be a AAA/MLB swing guy who can fill in, and has a ceiling as a 4th or 5th starter.

Maybe a bit paranoid, but I'd have protected Diaz, Papierski, Matijevic, and France. DFA Seth Martinez, non-tender Montero, swing another trade or two.

MoMobley likes this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I would have tried to package up fringe 40-man/Rule 5 pitchers to trade for lotto prospects or a good MLB RP, although I’m sure Click explored that and didn’t find anything worthwhile. Otherwise, I would have protected the guys they did plus Diaz, Papierski, and Macuare, while cutting/trading Martinez, Montero, and Scrubb. After all that I would brace to lose Taveras, hoping he’d get returned.

MoMobley and raining threes like this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What do you see in Papierski that would project for a team to take him as a rule 5 guy? I know nothing about him and he seems to have very pedestrian Minor League stats.

raining threes likes this.
  6. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Rule 5. Boring. When are we signing Marte?

Fulgore likes this.
  7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Pitchers love him. Projects now as a MLB C2.

Joe Joe likes this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Good defender, walks a ton. Good clubhouse presence. Basically an ideal backup C profile. I have said it a bunch in the minors thread but he’s a big dude so it’s a little odd he doesn’t hit for power. If he could change that he’d be an everyday guy.

#928 Snake Diggit, Nov 20, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've heard pitchers love him...which is usually a good sign.

raining threes and No Worries like this.
  10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Nice to see the Astros continue to bring in young talented analytics guys.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It probably shouldn't, but it still surprises me that we have an R&D department.

We don't just use analytics and tech, we have to stay on the cutting edge finding new stuff to use.

12. Radricky

Radricky Member

After Carlos bolts

MoMobley likes this.
  13. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I’m not giving up yet. Crane’s not messing around.

Squirtle, Radricky and DVauthrin like this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Doubt this means anything, but for whatever it is worth.

15. Jeremy Williams

Why would he does this unless he’s not getting calls or at least the #s he wants to hear?

16. awc713

awc713 Member

Matt Carpenter could be a nice under the radar addition. Can he get reps at SS? Seems like a versatile player, could be a good utility guy if we need him to hold down the fort until Pena is ready.

17. HTown2017Champs

Astros get: RHP Aaron Nola

Phillies get: OF Chas McCormick, RHP Bryan Abreu, RHP Josh James

Nola did not look like his usual self this past year at first glance, but take a deeper dive. The K rate is still there, and he posted a career low walk rate. His ERA was 4.63 but his FIP was 3.37.
    Saw somewhere that it's rumored the Phillies are looking at one of our young OF - which makes sense since McCutcheon is a FA and is a RHH (their OF is lefty-heavy). So I thought this could work. Astros get a proven veteran arm who can give us about 180-200 innings. Which is huge since I imagine JV and LMJ will have their workloads managed and the younger guys likely won't throw that much. We'd also give them Bryan Abreu, who I'm not high on but supposedly execs around the league still see high upside in. Josh James is practically a throw in. They badly need pen arms so they may want to get their hands on him. He did show flashes, most notably in 2019 so I think he may be of some value.

18. HTown2017Champs

No thanks. Never played SS as a pro (majors or minors), turns 36 this week, and was absolutely horrendous this year. Even the peripherals said so.
    If we're talking about Cardinals I'd take Paul DeJong. Really doesn't fit the Astros model of OBP and low K, but he's a slick fielder and can be a big power guy. With him being a pull-side fly ball hitter who makes lots of hard contact, he'd love MMP. Really grown on me as a stopgap SS.

Astrofan59 and MoMobley like this.
  19. raining threes

It's going to take more than that.

Maybe something like Leon/McCormick/Javier/Abreu or Solomon.

20. Buck Turgidson

You can find an emergency 3rd catcher anywhere on the waiver wire. It just doesn't matter.

I do think it's hilarious every year how yall think 6 or 8 guys need to be protected or they'll be chosen. And it never happens.

PavlovsDog, RocketFan007 and BMoney like this.