1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood is not a franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Feb 25, 2021.

1. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

agree,
    he's a player need a system in place, a player need an 'iron fist in a velvet glove' type of coach

yeah, could be.
    i only see a few of his flashy blks and steals in highlights (in detroit n philly jersey) which posted by d-rock
    once landed in h-town, i've seen few...maybe regressed a little bit.

bj3175 likes this.
  2. bj3175

bj3175 Member

he has become tentative and predictable. He is not the oly one .I would say the same for KPJ

DeBeards likes this.
  3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I liked Wood last year as a post playmaker or paint scorer, not this 3 point stand-still shooter. Silas is not using him the right way

4. TimDuncanDonaut

Agree that Wood is flawed. Production wise, he's owed 13 million this year. That's what Wizards pay a Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. That's also in the area of a Valančiūnas (big) or a Luke Kanard (perimeter).

The issue is both Wood and the org is thinking if he should be a corner stone. Which might be a NO. If magically, Stone resigns Wood still in the 13-15 m area, that's not overpay.

I'm not against Rockets getting a proven role player. Say in the next draft, we get one of those nice bigs:

G Green
    G (Traded wood for a real PG, or dead eye sniper)
    F Tate
    F Chet/Banchero
    C Sengun

But more young guys means longer rebuild, possible busts and more losing.

The question goes back to what I said about Stone and Wood being real with each other; can both agree if he is a 13-15 m player? For Wood's loyalty, 16-18 $mil per?

Wood's willingness to sacrifice his prime years on a losing rebuild team. Green is already getting other team's best perimeter defender, imagine if no Wood, how worse that can get on the young guys.

Wood's championship aspiration aside, at least here, he gets playing time, which is attractive for lot of NBA players. He can't get that on good teams.

#224 TimDuncanDonaut, Nov 19, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    DeBeards likes this.
  5. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

you can't be so sure.
    as i said he is a prolific scorer, has all skill sets as a big man in accordance with modern bball games - he can post up, shooting 3s, playing uptempo transition games etc., and now at his 26-27, we see him in rockets jersey keep putting up big numbers night in night out, also keep asking balls otherwise using his negative body language to protest, for what?
    1) he want a big contract;
    2) he want a starting position;
    3) he dun't want getting rotten for years in a rebuilding team;

he smart, knows at the end of the day he need to lower his bar if there are better deal coming from playoff contenders who would offer him 13-15mil or more with a precondition by ask him coming off the bench, in that situation i dun't think he gonna feel hesitate.

so my point is,
    - wood is a solid big, only rockets's willing to give him a starting position, but that won't prolong, i bet within a yr or two, once we had a young big, he gotta move on, he knows that, that's why he strive to put up beautiful numbers as hell;
    - his market value not that bad, otherwise stone would not have offered him contract, whenever both sides got better choice, a 'breakup' unavoidable.
    side note: im always a person emphasizing willingness/aspiration over the ability, esp while two candidates are neck to neck in their race, only willingness/aspiration keeps ball rolling. obviously wood not that person, he does not wanna stay in a rebuilding team alongside a shitty coach.

#225 DeBeards, Nov 19, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  6. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

He will easily get 20 mil per, have you seen the contracts these days.

Thw question is does he deserve/who will pay him 30 mil MPJ type contract

Corrosion likes this.
  7. TimDuncanDonaut

Some team is likely to offer a 20 mil+ deal, but then, we're heading into overpay situations.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Wood on the perimeter quite useless. Yes he can hit the occasional open 3, but that's not where his game shines.

He's a great finisher inside on rolls. We don't really have any great PnR passers that can set him up.

also he is an awful decision maker with the ball and an awful passer, it's best that he doesn't do that. I have no idea why we allow him to dribble it down like a pg, 99% of the time he doesn't make the right decision.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We don't have a FRANCHISE player, that is what we were hoping to get with the number 2 pick, a Ja Morant type, but we didn't we got an AAU kid that needs years of development to find out what he can be.

We literally have NO players that we can go....YEP, that is a keeper, everyone on the team is an asset to trade at this point.

The closest MAYBE is Sengun......and even he is not a given.

DD

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't think Sengun has proven he'll be a star, but I think he's definitely shown he's a keeper. At least through the first 3 years or so of his contract - at which point you evaluate if you're extending or trading him. But maybe that's what you meant.

And I guess, too, that we could end up drafting somebody like Banchero or Duren in this coming draft. At which point Sengun is likely competing with them for a starting spot and the Rockets may opt to ship out the one they decide they like less.

Patience, Corrosion and Os Trigonum like this.
  11. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Exactly this. Just because he CAN shoot it doesn’t mean that he should. He was so much better the way they were using him a year ago, and when he wasn’t sharing the court with Theis. Wood is not the answer as a stretch 4, even though it seems like he should be. Maybe he will evolve into it, but I’m just not seeing it right now.

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

He's a tier-3 player at best for sure. A Blake Griffin type. Can't carry a team, not even an ideal Robin to a Batman. Too inconsistent and lacks fundamentals.

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He can beat his man with a spin move in the paint or just a small burst in the paint with an advantage height hook shot. Not pump-faking from 3 and driving into a crowded lane getting stripped or highly contested with bad outlet passes.

Monkeychef02 and Hank McDowell like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He has like 4-5 years to make 1 or 2 Allstar appearances and make bigger bucks.

You could overpay him with a max but that is absolutely not wise at the moment unless you are a bad team, kinda are.

Biggest problem is not talent which he showed in spades but mentally he is still not really mature.

Once an underdog, likely always an underdog.

15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I have a strong feeling this is the reason why he was on 6 teams in 6 seasons.

Wood individually is a very talented player, and a talented 6"11 will always get contracts, but he has some of the worse decision making I've see in any big man and he takes way too long to make any decision on the court. He literally takes 1-2 seconds to make a simple pass to an open man. These problems are mitigated if he completely removed ball handling and dribbling from his game, but that is literally 50% of what he does on the court right now.

16. vick

vick Member

Right now the Rockets do not have a Franchise player
    Wood is the best player on the Rockets team. Not the most jmportant . Our next years pick may be.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I had defended him in the past based strictly on statistics that put him in rare air .... only 5 players averaged 20/10 and shot 37% or better from 3 last year.

This year , he's not reaching those numbers and the team is even worse .... then there's the fact that he doesn't want to play the 5 or inside .... He's just not contributing to winning basketball.

Then there's the fact that he's eating up minutes that could go to Sengun or Garuba ....

At this point , I wouldn't mind dumping him for the best pick you can get and optimally dealing with a team who would be a fringe playoff team by adding Wood

OKC sending this years #1 pick and Pokusevski for Wood ?

Minni sending Prince & this years #1 for Wood ?

Toronto sending Dragic & a pick for Wood and filler.

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I'm with you as far as trade value. I would love a late lotto pick for him.

I think the blazers, kings, and wolves are desperate. I'm sure we can get their pick for him. at the very least we can work out a swap for their pick and give them the heat/nets pick.

19. MystikArkitect

Christian Wood might be the worst type of player to have on your team. He's like Westbrook. The Lakers are 5-6 now. The Westbrook special. He dragged the Rockets into the abyss. Then the Wizards. Now the Lakers. But he puts up stats! He averages a triple double!

He's a losing player that puts up numbers. His numbers don't tell the whole story. What does is the wins and losses. He's just conducive to losing. Thats what Wood is. He's like a worse, immature, power forward version of Westbrook.

Little Bit likes this.
  20. varughese.arun

Ha...i agree with you. Howard is much better. Im comparing their IQs. Both Wood and Howard seem very dumb, low IQ players

Dobbizzle likes this.