1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Almost everything that is wrong with the offense summed in one video

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by flamingdts, Nov 11, 2021.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Lol how did I lose you? You brought it up yourself:

My rebuttal was to point out that we don't have a dominant player that can "make things go" so that's where coaching--real coaching--is needed. When young/inexperienced players make mistakes on this team they need someone to tell them that's a mistake and make it into a learning process. If no one is there to tell them any different how are they going to progress? "Yea well that's your assumption because you don't know what Silas tells them" It's an assumption but it's not entirely baseless. This team is still running around on the court undisciplined. THAT is coaching. Coaches. Coaches. Coaches.

2. dmoneybangbang

The Wall situation was mutual.

And no we shouldn’t trade KPJ this season.

D-rock likes this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, and once again I'm having to bring up Tates lack of confidence shooting 3's

It kills our spacing on most plays.

Porter is forced to pick up his dribble when driving because
    the paint is so congested as Tate rolls. But with Kenyon at
    least Porter can throw it over the top anywhere near the rim
    for a Martin Jr slam.

That whole play got derailed with Tate at the top of the key.
    Tate has to be a threat to shoot the 3 to suck up Olynyk out
    of the paint. Then backdoor cuts can work. Within the soft
    underbelly of the defense.

Ends up in Jalen Greens hands with about 5 seconds. Desperation last
    second shot.

#43 ApacheWarrior, Nov 11, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    DeBeards, BallaDoc and D-rock like this.
  4. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

You can't even get a bag of chips for him.

He was basically cut or gave up for nothing by the Cavs.

It maybe a wise decision just to let him go.

5. dmoneybangbang

This isn’t high school basketball. This isn’t a playoff team where the coach will pull you if you make a mistake.

Silas is TBD. The assistant coaches talk to the players on the bench and the staff goes over everything after the game. I’m not too surprised how undisciplined this team looks 10 games into the season. We don’t have a point guard and we have more of a collection of players than a team because we are at developmental bedrock. Last season was a transition year but this year is rock bottom.

subtomic and steddinotayto like this.
  6. steddinotayto

If that's really the case--the assistants are doing the work and Silas is...well...TBD--then I'm really surprised, considering he spent two decades in an assistant role and he should know how important it is to have that relationship with the players.

D-rock likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

Silas is more suited to be the HC for a vet team…all that laid back, soft spoken, “we’re not gonna run any plays during the preseason” stuff could work with a vet team that has high BBIQ and can police themselves/has leaders on the roster

it’s also hard to run anything close to a decent offense when u don’t have a PG…it’s the most important position in the league, and if u don’t have one, u better have guys at other positions that can playmake at a high level

PG play so bad “Jalen Green or Sengun should run point” and “Tate is our best playmaker” are actual things on here

add even just a decent PG with high BBIQ like Rubio, and you’d see a noticeable difference

it sucks for him that his 1st HC job was for this team…it’s like your dad finally letting u drive, but instead of letting u drive the nice car, he gives u the old beaten down 95 Camry that’s been collecting cobwebs in the garage so the minute u hit the streets the tires pop right off and u steer into a fire hydrant…he won’t get another HC job again

8. dmoneybangbang

You haven’t noticed that is common throughout the NBA? That’s the assistants job, to do all the micromanaging. To be clear I’m not talking about timeouts or stoppage but during game play.

Silas is leading the huddle during timeouts but he’s not telling the players what they did or didn’t do on the bench during the game.

The issue is more personnel at this point.

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

and that's still on the head coach.. those are all his assistants/staff

D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

The players are playing badly, yes, but they're also playing with almost no offensive system or strategy so they're set up to fail before they even start. Are you really this clueless or do you just not watch the games?

D-rock likes this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

No. We are designed to be terrible via personnel decisions.

If after a season we still look so clueless then we can talk about the coaching staff.

12. vlaurelio

so basically give Silas and his staff 2 full seasons to be clueless?

D-rock likes this.
  13. steddinotayto

Hit the nail on the head. If his assistants aren't, basically, doing a good job of instructing then it still ultimately falls on the head coach.

I'm not saying we don't have a personnel problem because we do. I'm just pointing the finger at the coaching staff (specifically the head coach because he's the ...well...head coach) for not adjusting to the personnel issue in real time. We don't have a true point guard. That's a given but that doesn't mean the best solution is to force a player to become one when it's apparent that he doesn't have the competency to do so. It also doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to play the only active point guard on your roster a bit more. I mean, at this point, what's the worst it could happen playing Augustin more than 10 minutes a night? His job is to be a table setter for the rest of the team; whatever he can give on the offensive end is just the cherry on top. His defense might be lacking but it's not like our team is good at that end anyways.

DeBeards and D-rock like this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

If you truly believe that then your expectations for this team of super young players is pretty off and you’ll just continue to be disappointed.

This thread started off with a video of Wood blowing screens and an inexperienced KPJ picking up his dribble too early….

….But it’s mostly Silas’s fault the system isn’t up and running after 10 games and a covid training camp/pre season? Yeesh

15. dmoneybangbang

Are the personnel capable adjusting like that when they have trouble doing simple things or even playing as a team?

Should we just bench Wood and his no screen setting ass? Should we go with tough love? I’m not saying Silas is blameless but that the personnel issue supersedes it.

Again we were designed to be bad.

16. vlaurelio

and this is a rebuild team.. roster will be inexperienced and HC and his staff are expected to develop them

DeBeards and D-rock like this.
  17. TimDuncanDonaut

My standards of a point guard isn't to get a HoF Chris Paul or a John Stockton. Can be an average PG, who can run set plays and be a serviceable floor general.

DeBeards likes this.
  18. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

On that play, it's KPJ's fault for picking up his dribble. However, after Green gets it with 5 to and every one standing on perimeter, his instinct should be to drive. He still has enough time to get to the rim or pass out quickly. The defense was sagging so if he isn't able to kick on his drive he would have had a difficult drive, but the play was already busted and I'd rather him force a layup then force a 3 because (1) he is better driver than 3 point shooter so go to your strength, (2) develop good habits so he's ready for the day 5 people on perimeter means 5 shooters and he'll have more space, and (3) at least he also has a shot of drawing a foul.

Overall though I'm done with this starting lineup and the whole Christian Wood at power forward. Someone needs to tell him that if he wants that max contract, his bet shot at getting it is to play center and do center things, then sprinkle on top of that all the other skill stuff he wants to do. This might be an unpopular opinion but I think I'd bench Theiss for...KJ Martin. Time to see what we have in him. Have KJ Martin and Tate both play "forward" where they each take on assignments based on matchup and switch as needed. Doesn't matter KJ can't handle great, with our guards and Wood he'll never get the ball anyway, just catch and shoot or dive for lobs. Theiss, Sengun, Gordon main starters off the bench. In crunch time insert gordon for starter playing the worst, doesn't matter who.

DeBeards, D-rock and IvanLCPM like this.
  19. 34to11

34to11 Member

So much THIS!

Stephen_A likes this.
  20. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

considering Johnny the Wall was being sidelined and we have seen enough of kpj struggling at pg position, in this very situation, I suppose nobody but SILAS should be the right person to step up front to bring players to film session, drills and scrimmages and let them know what's going on with our offense/defense, SILAS should be the person to talk to CWood in person, ask him to handle the PnR correctly (which is incorrect like what you present in the clips).
    if SILAS fail to do that or don't know how to do that, fire him!

yes, i agree we got player personnel issue, many players underachieved, regressing or improving slowly, and roster need tweaks...but let me tell ya:

if i had a 6-month baby, and if i found out her nanny couldn't help her on fundamental things (say feeding, hushing, accompanying her to play lego etc.,) if unexpectedly the 'nanny' only good at teaching english, computer, math so on (which are actually round peg in square hole scenario), what shall I do?
    fire the nanny, hire a real one!

we dun't have a legit pg? physically jalen not ready and got shooting mechanics problem? CWood not quite into PnR? who should play sf? Theis should come off the bench?...
    why not step back to look at those 11 games, if that was player personnel issue only...i suppose shouldn't have been as bad as 1-10, many games winnable, many games just lack of timely timeout or 4th quarter...even clutch moment correct rotations, sorry this team no longer have cp3 or jh to handle the ball to make decision on court, those loses absolutely on SILAS.

suppose from coaching to players, everything went wrong, then before we turning to gm STONE start questioning his work ethic during last summer, we should think about which comes first, chicken OR egg, i.e. to tweak roster OR to replace the coach?
    1) to tweak roster?
    for YEAR ONE rebuilding - as we all know, this season how many wins DOES NOT matter, what really matters is:
    - focusing on players development (1-5 positions) ;
    - figuring out who might be the corner stones years to come.
    as long as we don't care Ws/Ls, that means no need to push hard for any roster movement, then the only thing we should care about now is let 15 players learn from Ws/Ls, teaching fundamental things to them, bringing good habits to them, giving them self-discipline on court, dealing with their self-esteem careful;
    2) to replace the coach
    if hardly could SILAS accomplish the a/m things, then he ain't all the problems, but in a packing order he is the first problem we should tackle.

#60 DeBeards, Nov 11, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    D-rock and TimDuncanDonaut like this.