1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Uncharted

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Oct 21, 2021.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

The first trailer for “Uncharted,” a film adaptation of the hit Playstation video game franchise from Naughty Dog, starring Tom Holland and Mark Wahlberg, has arrived, with the duo globetrotting and searching for treasure.

“Uncharted” is directed by Ruben Fleischer, with a script penned by “Iron Man” duo Art Marcum and Matt Holloway and Rafe Judkins, based off of a screen story by Judkins. Holland plays Nathan Drake, a treasure hunter who is accompanied by Wahlberg’s Sully and Sophia Ali as Chloe Frazer, who may have a spark with Drake.

Holland recently spoke with British GQ about the challenges of playing the iconic video game protagonist.

“As soon as you start worrying about ‘Do I look good in this shot?’ acting becomes something other than playing a character,” he said. “I think there are elements of my performance in ‘Uncharted’ where I kind of fell under that spell of being ‘I want to look good now. I want this to be my cool moment.’ I had to play this very tough, very stoic guy — basically be Mark Wahlberg. My character is supposed to be a ****ing action hero in this moment! Look, I haven’t seen it, so I don’t know if I succeeded in that. But it was an important lesson learned, because, at times, it was less about land a mark and go through this scene and more about land a mark, stand like this and see my bulging biceps. … It was a mistake and is something that I will probably never do again.”

“Uncharted” is set to debut in theaters on Feb 18. Watch the trailer below:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/uncharted-trailer-tom-holland-mark-130356674.html

Xerobull likes this.
  2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

1. This will be the next big action franchise. Young Indiana Jones meets Fast and Furious
    2. Notice how they put a 3 second trailer for the trailer before the trailer now?

Jontro and GRENDEL like this.
  3. PhiSlammaJamma

Hmmm. Thought it was a zombie game, but it looks more like Tomb Raider. Some of the sequences looked interesting, and others not so much. Not a fan or Wahlberg, as he's generally a big movie killer for me except in Boogie Nights and the Departed. Felt like it was missing something in the trailer. But I do like a good Tom Raider adventure.

Jontro likes this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Tom Holland as Drake....I dunno....he isn't exactly the rugged time....we need a younger version of Harrison Ford.

DD

Jontro likes this.
  5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This could have been a great franchise for Chris Evans to transition to life after Captain America.

GRENDEL likes this.
  6. Xerobull

If I'm building the next big action franchise, I don't want to start it with a guy who's entering middle age and is more interested in directing than being in action movies. You want the young hotness that can stay in the role for 10-20 years depending on popularity.

7. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Soooooo, is this just an adaptation of Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception with 2 leads who neither look, sound, or act anything like the game versions of Nate or Sully?

8. steddinotayto

Harrison Ford was around 39 when the first Indy movie came out. Evans is 40 right now. All you really need is a 3-picture trilogy and then spin it off after that.

9. VanityHalfBlack

Trailer doesn’t look that bad. Action looks fun, is this available on streaming too or just theater? This is definitely one for the couch

10. Xerobull

That's not the model anymore. Now it's build a franchise, spin off movies, milk it until it's dead. Look at Fast and Furious, the MCU, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc. Trilogies are a 20th century idea.

If you're taking that long view, you probably don't start a franchise with a guy who's headed into middle age. Sure, he's good for 10 years, but life priorities change and people get old. Honestly, I'm a little surprised they went Tom Holland instead of another young bankable star, but it seems like a lot of these younger actors are beta males so maybe that's where the money is now.

Jontro and steddinotayto like this.
  11. steddinotayto

I get what you're saying but in order to build said franchise you need at least the first movie and one sequel right? The only game in the franchise I've played and finished is the last one and Nathan Drake was in his 30s (or at least looks to be). Holland would be pretty close to the flashback sequences in Uncharted 4 so I don't have much of an issue with his casting if they are going to de-age all of these characters for the movie (which seems to be the case with Wahlberg playing Sully). I think anyone younger than Holland (25 years old) would deviate even more from the original source material.

Xerobull likes this.
  12. Xerobull

I agree, Holland is a strange pick for the role. He's great as a teenage high school Spider-Man, but I was expecting a manlier man for Uncharted.

GRENDEL likes this.
  13. steddinotayto

I like your movie/TV threads. Who do you think could have fit this role? Doing a basic "young hollywood actors", the names that I see as a viable option are:

Liam Hemsworth (31 years old): tall, got the hair down, build could use work, acting chops are ehhhhhh
    Ezra Miller (29): will need to bulk up but his acting is top notch...don't know if he can fill that "action hero" role
    Dacre Montgomery (26): of Stranger Things fame, has the build, acting is pretty good, looks too babyish though

I think my darkhorse choice would have been Joe Keery (Stranger Things, Free Guy). He's skinny but with an MCU-like workout regimen he can bulk up.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

your suggestions in your post could get some advice from your avatar. just sayin'

steddinotayto likes this.
  15. Xerobull

I like this list. I think a Hemsworth might be a bad choice- I'm sort of Hemsworthed-out at this point, even though he has the right psychique . But everyone else under 30 is a stick these days. Ezra miller is a great pick but he has some social media baggage. Dacre Montgomery doesn't really have that Indiana Jones vibe. I do like Joe Keery but I'm not sure he would fit any better than Holland.

I think Nick Jonas would probably be a good pick but from the perspective of box office draw he might be pigeonholed as a teen heartthrob.

I really loved Alex Høgh Andersen as Ivar the Boneless in Vikings. He played sort of a villain but he has the looks, charisma and build that makes me think, hey this guy could crack a bullwhip in a crumbling temple somewhere.

Since we're theorycrafting, I would say that there are some non-white actors out there who would probably fit the bill well, too.

I'll have to think about it. I'll ask my wife, too.

steddinotayto likes this.
  16. steddinotayto

Two Sammiches!

17. steddinotayto

I like the Nick Jonas pick. Completely forgot about him. Thought he was pretty good in the Jumanji sequel.

18. noize

noize Contributing Member

The castings are far too different looking compared to the video game series for me to care. You have a kid who can barely grow facial hair to play as Nate? Then you have MW, whose far too young and and a bad actor to boot to play as Sully?

I don't think these movie producer and directors had ever play a lick of any of the Uncharted games I bet. Does anyone knows who will play as Sam Drake? He's my favorite character in the game, so if they have a perfect cast for him, then maybe I will be interested. These three main characters has a certain charm, wit and charisma to them that you just can't go out and cast some random Joe.

I think Chris Evan or Chris Pine fit better for Nate and Timothy Olyphant as Sully.

#18 noize, Oct 22, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2021