1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experiment is Over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by atam, Oct 20, 2021.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I think the Mobley/Green debate needs a few years not a preseason and one game. This is silly even for clutchfans.

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

Like I said in the other thread, I’m just going to pretend that we took Sengun at 2 and Green at 16 to cope. That way I can feel good about Green doing something good instead of the resentment of passing on Mobley every times he fails. Much better for my mental health.

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I actually think green is on a good path . He’s a stronger player than we realize . Body isn’t nba prime-time ready yet . But I see the gait and shot as being very real .

Unit Id like to see

Tate
    Green
    Christopher
    Garuba
    Sengun

4. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

I definitely don’t think the jalen green experiment is over just cuz I’m posting in here fyi

D-rock likes this.
  5. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Green will be ok, he just need to keep shooting. He is going to be a SUPERSTAR! He has elite quickness and his shooting will settle down. The problem we are having is we do not have a PG. Porter and Augustin are not very good point guard. I would just bring back Wall and keep Porter as our SF. We need to find a young PG for the future.....

rockets1995 and majicdonjuan like this.
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

green is done, bring up josh christopher

@Williamson pls confirm

7. dmoneybangbang

You do you bro, not everyone is made for fandom.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Went back and watched again, I'm not finished with the 4th quarter and already I've counted 5 times Green was blocked, though he got bailed out on one of them with a foul called on another player. The stuff that worked in the G league will just get you blocked in the NBA. That was one of my concerns about him when I watched him last year. I saw a lot of highlights that simply wouldn't translate.

The talk about him being "NBA ready" was based on the notion that the G league was a LOT higher level of competition than it really is.

Hopefully he manages to adjust and he eventually becomes a solid player but I think the over the top talk about him being a superstar one day needs to be put to bed till he shows some kind of reason to think that's even a possibility.

Jontro likes this.
  9. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

I’m so proud of that soon to be Fertitta degree.

10. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Have that stone cold stunner locked and loaded for when Green drops 40 on this thread.

steddinotayto likes this.
  11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

As the great philosopher Damian Lillard once said, “I’m too solid for this weird as era” lol. I don’t even mind if it takes Green a year or two to develop if the end game means he’ll be an All-Star level talent. If/when that happens the Stone Cold Stunner will come out in full force. To be honest though, Sengun might force me to pull out that .gif soon lol

Dobbizzle, D-rock, Nook and 2 others like this.
  12. dram1

dram1 Member

Now bro...go all in ...bring back VSpan

Jontro likes this.
  13. Bo6

Bo6 Member

call me crazy but I actually thought he did a good job distributing tonight. could easily have had 6-8 assists if literally everyone wasn't throwing up bricks.

shooting is a concern but if he knocks 2 3's in it's a 15pt 5ast night and everyone is fine. +- is a garbage stat unless it's proving your argument.

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

If you look at his high school history he starts out playing sg and eventually ends up running the pg because the team is better with him running it.

i3artow i3aller and pippendagimp like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Offensively he needs to draw more fouls and hopefully improve as a playmaker. We passed on a very good defender (Mobley) with offensive upside. So Green really needs to shine on the offensive end. I think he will inevitably draw fouls because of his tools.

Defensively he is terrible. He lacks the lateral movement or wingspan/length to ever be an elite defender like Mobley. I do believe that he can be adequate with work and possibly average if he really works hard… I base that on his quickness, hands and anticipation.

So basically he needs to be really good on the offensive end to justify the #2 pick over a well rounded player like Mobley… but all the tools are there for him to be really good offensively and if he develops playmaking ability, he can be a Hall of Famer….

I will say this, I can’t see a defensive backcourt of Green and Porter ever working. If the Rockets are going to eventually be contenders, they will need a plus defender at point guard.

D-rock and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

As of right now it goes beyond his physical inadequacies, it just seems like he never knows where he's supposed to be on that side of the ball. He just has no intuition whatsoever when it comes to defense.

The good news is, that can improve with experience.....but it might not. If defense remains a foreign concept to him, he may never be a net positive player.

D-rock and Nook like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

He will be fine, he is mentally tough. Go listen to his GQ interview and you will get an idea of just how young and naive he is. I don’t say that as an insult, but Green isn’t some worldly guy, but he is tough and driven - but so young.

He also isn’t in an ideal situation at all. He has a coach above his head and is surrounded by players that don’t make the game easier for him.

D-rock, Deckard and DreamShook like this.
  18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I'm not willing to go there yet.

Harden is definitely one of the best to play and is superstar caliber player, but I don't think Harden is a bench mark. I hope Green is a better player than Harden.

19. Nook

Nook Member

I can tell you for sure that the Rockets don’t think Green’s most likely high outcome is that. They would accept that outcome but they think his reasonable high outcome is more than that.

20. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Watched J Green summer league highlights and it made me feel better ahhhh…